Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yet another eBay critique
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zymurgist
I've been working on 914's long enough to offer a semi-informed opinion on cars for sale. I spotted this one this morning on eBay...

Red '72

I came up with the following observations...

1. Rusty floor pans, much much worse than Babydoll (you can see daylight through the holes).
2. No hell hole pictures, except for the ratty looking battery cable. (Is that normal?)
3. Take the spare out of the front trunk, I'm more concerned with what is (or isn't ;-) ) under it
4. What is with that air cleaner... does this car have a single carb (the worst carb conversion possible), or can you put an air cleaner like that on a fuel injected motor?
5. Look at the inside rear trunk picture and the front trunk and interior shots. The rear trunk is a faded and slightly rusty red, while the front and cockpit both show evidence of having been orange in the past. It seems to me that this car may have been hit in the rear at one time and stitched back together with the rear clip from a red car. Notice how the wiring in the rear trunk is not red, but the wiring in the front trunk is coated with red paint overspray.

I know you guys like to pick eBay cars apart... how am I doing?
type47
your post reads like a vet! (err... verteran, as in, on the 914 board forever). you've posted a critique at the right place; post a pix of a car here and it will be thoroughly torn to pieces. these guys are BRUTAL! post a pic of a carrera GT and it would be bashed!
djm914-6
No battery tray, just holes and crud where it one was. The battery is now sitting in the hellhole area!

How does that drivers seat attach? I don't see the attachment points!

Could there be bondo or something covering the rear part of the rear trunk floor? Looks like a lot more "stuff" in the corners than there should be.

Funky door panels. They'd be ok if something else matched 'em.

I'd perfer the stock orange over a red respray. I won'der what's hiding under the the red?
URY914
I don't all those wires tired directly to the battery. No fuse protection is not the right way to do it.
Leo Imperial
At least the guy posted some honest pictures. The car is in rough shape and the pictures show it.
Hammy
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 1 2006, 04:14 AM) *

1. Rusty floor pans, much much worse than Babydoll (you can see daylight through the holes).

yes..... interesting drivers pan.
sheet metal right over the old pan?
boxstr
But he has tried to save weight in the aluminum hatch in the firewall.
CCLINWRAPINREYNOLDSWRAP
zymurgist
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Jun 1 2006, 08:32 AM) *

At least the guy posted some honest pictures. The car is in rough shape and the pictures show it.

I will give him credit for the honest pictures. I don't think he's going to get anywhere near the "Buy It Now" price. I wouldn't mind checking it out, but I don't have any place to put a tub right now, and from the pictures, that tub is going to need a lot of work. (On the east coast, the work would be done with a MIG welder. On the west coast, with a Sawzall.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.