Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: M471 option
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
elwood-914
Can someone tell me what the M471 option was. I read about it every so often in threads but have no idea what it is. And was it an option on all years and just to sixes?? O.k. did a search....I take it is flares and fenders....anything more?

Thanks
Tim
smontanaro
My (feeble) understanding is it is either the 914-6 GT or the bits necessary for the dealer to turn a -6 into a GT.

Skip
Gustl
the M471 option in the sence most people are talking about was available on the 914-6 from 1971 and 1972

the basic parts are listed on the sheet, which is from a letter from the Stuttgart factory to the Porsche + Audi Division (USA)

other litarature tells us, that the rocker panels got replaced by GFK parts and the standard front valance got replaced by a GFK spoiler - the rear valance was deleted

I've even read something about sway bars, but not in official Porsche documents
Gustl
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jun 1 2006, 02:50 PM) *

My (feeble) understanding is it is either the 914-6 GT or the bits necessary for the dealer to turn a -6 into a GT.

Skip

the 914-6 GT was (is) a race/rallye car, the M471 a street car

the kit for converting a 914-6 to a 914-6 GT was called "Sport Kit"

wavey.gif Gustl
Hammy
Ok... stupid question. What made the factory GT's different than the street sixes/M471 ?
Gustl
but the M471 option was available on the late 914 too
here's a part of a 1975 price list, it says "M471 - Gran-Tourisme-Ausstattung"
this is the package known as GT (Europe) or LE (USA)
I just wonder that's in the '75 price list - my understanding was, that this was only available in '74 idea.gif

Gustl
QUOTE(Hammy @ Jun 1 2006, 03:05 PM) *

Ok... stupid question. What made the factory GT's different than the street sixes/M471 ?

some fine ingridients like 906 engine, 100 Liter tank, GFK hoods (balsa wood inforced), chassis stiffening, roll cage, race muffler, wider wheels, thermostat and front oil cooler, better suspension, better breakes, stronger tranny, GT front and rear bumpers, ...

off course, not all factory GTs had all these options - they were used depending on needs

wavey.gif Gustl
Gustl
another word to the 914-6 M471

there are some guys who tell us that these cars had stronger engines by the factory, but I didn't see any official Porsche document yet to proove it

on the other hand, some serious literature like the DGVWPB, the Johnson and B. Long don't mention this

so my understanding is, that if there's a M471 with a stronger engine, it's a dealer modification or by one of its owners ...

just my 2 cent

wavey.gif Gustl
bd1308
2 Euros Wolfgang.... smile.gif

b
elwood-914
Look what I found...

Click to view attachment

SirAndy
QUOTE(elwood-914 @ Jun 1 2006, 08:34 AM) *

Look what I found...

yepp, m471 was basically to make your normal 914/6 "look" like a GT, but not "perform" like a GT ...

i know of at least one m471 car that also received real leather doorpanels with the kit ...
smile.gif Andy
Quilmes
Click to view attachmentUDO #9142430259 ( second to last 914-6 with flares) had a blue one, with rear window defrost. I had never seen this on a 914.

Also #9142430260 has the same M471 pack but is Red in color and is for sale in Germany.

Attache a phot of Udo's old M471 with a 2.7RS engine.
Gustl
QUOTE(Quilmes @ Jun 1 2006, 06:30 PM) *

... with rear window defrost. I had never seen this on a 914.

this was an option on the 914
a green-coloured pull-switch on the right side of the steering column, illuminated when active

here's another shot of Udo's ex-M471:

Gustl

Also #9142430260 has the same M471 pack but is Red in color and is for sale in Germany.

2.4 ltr engine with Carrera 6 cams and 46 Webers (254 PS)

rickyhgarcia
The upholstery of the blue M471 car....that is beautiful.

What option was that???
smontanaro

Not that I could afford it, but do you have a pointer to for sale information about this car?

Thx,

Skip Montanaro
r_towle
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 1 2006, 02:11 PM) *

2.4 ltr engine with Carrera 6 cams and 46 Webers (254 PS)

Hi,
Do you have pictures of that rear valance...
I would like to do VW type louvers on the rear valance..kinda like the older 356 carrera valance..

Thanx
rich
Gustl
AFAIK it was for sale - I haven't heard any news about it within the last half year

when the advertisment was active I sent the info to Armando, so look here

the seller asked for €60k blink.gif

sorry, no more pics than on Armando's pages ...

wavey.gif Gustl
Quilmes

this was an option on the 914
a green-coloured pull-switch on the right side of the steering column, illuminated when active

here's another shot of Udo's ex-M471:

"I love that picture of Udo's car out side of my Wife's house in Bonn", also Udo had more hair then. At least my wife still looks the same after three children.

Quilmes

Quilmes
QUOTE(rickyhgarcia @ Jun 1 2006, 10:28 AM) *

The upholstery of the blue M471 car....that is beautiful.

What option was that???

I do not remember, but I can post som emore photos of the interior since we had to put it together once we got it over here to the states.
Let me find them and I will scan them.

Quilmes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.