Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I texture my rocker panels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
olav
Well I'm getting my front, rear and rockers painted.

The front valance is textured from the factory but I don't think the rockers or rear valance was.

Should I get the rockers textured since they are close to the road and susectible to road debris such as rocks etc. and the rear valance textured too?

I was wondering what other people think about it. Are there any other pros and cons to consider?

Thanks!
effutuo101
So your options are texture, black, color match. I will be repainting my car next winter, what I will do is use that paint that is rubberized. There is some texture to it, but as my rockers are color matched, this will help avoid the massive amount of rock chips that are on them now. That and some of the clear/black chip guard on the front of my flares.... Good luck
C~
boxstr
I just painted a set of repro rockers Satin black, no texture, that would be more original, I can always repaint if needed.
The front valance I would texture, rear not.
Check the concours forum for product suggestions.
CCLINSTOCK
olav

Thanks for the feedback.

I like the rubberized rocker panel paint idea.

True, satin black for the rocker is more original. I'm just testing the waters to see if deviation from that is a big no-no. smile.gif

Rear valance, no texture is the message I'm getting so far though.

I'm going with the black not color match just to clear things up a bit.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(olav @ Jun 1 2006, 09:19 AM) *

True, satin black for the rocker is more original. I'm just testing the waters to see if deviation from that is a big no-no. smile.gif ...

Purisim isn't a big thing here (which is nice). Do what you like, it's your car. Good execution trumphs stockness.

That's what I like about this group, many people customize their ride. We're not all driving the same thing thumb3d.gif
Lou W
I shot mine with 3M Rocker Gard, it's suppose to help against paint chipping. smile.gif
Lou W
Here's a another picture after it's applied.
olav
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jun 1 2006, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(olav @ Jun 1 2006, 09:19 AM) *

True, satin black for the rocker is more original. I'm just testing the waters to see if deviation from that is a big no-no. smile.gif ...

Purisim isn't a big thing here (which is nice). Do what you like, it's your car. Good execution trumphs stockness.

That's what I like about this group, many people customize their ride. We're not all driving the same thing thumb3d.gif

I agree.

I'm going with the texture look as it looks fine to me.

McMark
Wow, I didn't realize that picture was so bad. pinch.gif
olav
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 1 2006, 12:20 PM) *

Wow, I didn't realize that picture was so bad. pinch.gif

Lets see a better one! clap56.gif
GTeener
I need to do this with my new LE front valence.
orange914
its not "correct" to spray the same color as the car, but i think it gives the 914 a "lower/cleaner" look. the car is yours, do it how you think it looks best! piratenanner.gif
Dr. Roger
the 914 i pulled my front suspension off of had it's front, rear bumpers and valences sprayed with black truck bed liner.

white body paint, black vinyl, and black bumper tops looked pretty good IMHO.

curious to see pics how your project turns out......
orange914
its not "correct" to spray the same color as the car, but i think it gives the 914 a "lower/cleaner" look. the car is yours, do it how you think it looks best! piratenanner.gif
olav
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jun 1 2006, 03:31 PM) *

the 914 i pulled my front suspension off of had it's front, rear bumpers and valences sprayed with black truck bed liner.

white body paint, black vinyl, and black bumper tops looked pretty good IMHO.

curious to see pics how your project turns out......

I'm documenting the project in my blog that is clickable to from my sig so you can see the pics at anytime...

smile.gif
Brando
I think the two-toned looked of having black rockers and valences (well, not two-toned for a black car) is very signature to the car. Not to the era though, as 911s of the time had painted rockers with black 'tops' on the rocker panels. IMHO, match that look.
Aaron Cox
smooth and body color!

and mine are also "spaced out" to make them follow the body line rather than tuck in.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.