Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4 Cylinder Turbo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
A friend of mine is really into turbo charged cars. He feels that I could get more bang for my buck by putting in a turbo instead of of 6 cylinder.
I have a spare engine (1.7) that I can play with but first wanted to know if anyone here has ever tried. I saw on a thread this week an old turbo kit ad for VW's and 914's.
Comments?
Tx
Doug
Qarl
Ha ha! I get to say it first. Everyone knows...

...you can't turbo a 914!
Qarl
There are a few here that have done it. One with the d-jet, another with CIS, and another with an aftermarket system.

Ed Vilela is one of them.

Also check on the PP board side.
Scott
Is that a recent ad? What magazine?
Qarl
very old...

Early to mid 80s I believe.
Charles Deutsch
Close ... August, 1990.
Aaron Cox
everyone know's you cant turbocharge a 914...ah...but can you supercharge a 914?????
Mockmaw
Supercharging is a possibility, but the biggest problem is, where the hell do you fit the charger? You'd probably need to move to a different cooling solution so you could get rid of the huge fan shroud.. perhaps the setup that Mikez is running (or Raby's shroud? Don't know if it'll fit) may leave enough room on the firewall side to install. Just thinking out loud..
Jake Raby
Currently the TI head is not a good candidate for Turbo.......I have been working on a Turbo combination with a long rod and stroke with a small custom bore size and now I'm just waiting on a Guinea pig to want to try one.....anyone out there? Should make 250 ponies if it works right.
fiid
Noone yet has given me a tenable reason why you can't run a turbo on a 914.

However most people seem to be agreed that you cannot run more than about 12-14 pounds of boost.

It does involve a lot of work to get everything to fit right. I made an attempt to get a turbo into the area either side of the transaxle, taking exaust from behind the heat exchangers. This is bad juju. You want the exhaust hot - while it is hot, it is expanded, which pushes the turbo round better. Another problem with this area is you end up with the turbo dangerously close to the bottom of thesump which means you nead a scavenger pump to get oil back to the engine.

If you are serious, I would add an external oil cooler, since the turbo is going to warm the oil up some.

http://not2fast.wryday.com/turbo/glossary/...urbo_calc.shtml is a turbo calculator - using a 2 litre motor it suggests that an output of around 150HP might be possible. Using a 1.8 motor with 96mm P&Cs, you might get 140.
Note that these figures also require intercooling, and are based on 65% volumetric efficience @ 6100 rpm - which ain't likely with a type IV - although Jake Raby might have a better idea on that.

Simply fitting all this stuff in is hard - there actually isn't all that much space to add stuff in a stock 914 engine bay.

I ran all the numbers - made a half assed attempt, and gave up. I might try and get it going once I am done getting the car running on the new Subaru motor. If you really want HP - I would do either a 6, a V8, or a Subaru Motor.

Fiid.
aufaber
QUOTE(fiid @ Sep 28 2003, 10:44 AM)

It's a joke.

See thats what they used to say, then Sam turboed his 914 cuz he doesn't like the word can't.

My roommate has a Turbo D jet 914 that we turbo'd, it's actualy not all that hard as long as you have a welder and an understanding of turbocharging. just use the search feature you will find info. Thats what it's there for.

-Aaron G>
Dave_Darling
I don't think Bergmann has those any more. And even if he did, I'm not sure how much I'd trust them...

Lots of work to turbo a 914. Uhh, or it would be, if you could do it. Which you can't. wink.gif

--DD
tracks914
914turbo

This guy is trying. unsure.gif
tracks914
another 914 turbo
Lots of work on this one!!!! blink.gif
d914
we had one from the west coast arrive, BOOOM, now its a nice 2.2l
Jake Raby
If you expect to seaql the heads off.....gotta use Nickies and the matching studs...
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Sep 28 2003, 05:22 PM)
another 914 turbo
Lots of work on this one!!!! blink.gif

That's not exactly turbocharging a 914... I'm not sure swapping in a turbocharged Subaru motor counts. Besides, that's been done and un-done already. The car now has an aspirated Scooby six-cylinder in it!

--DD
aufaber
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 28 2003, 09:19 PM)

That's not exactly turbocharging a 914... I'm not sure swapping in a turbocharged Subaru motor counts.
--DD

Thats cuz you can't turbo a 914 Dave!

-Aaron G>
andys
QUOTE(fiid @ Sep 28 2003, 10:44 AM)

However most people seem to be agreed that you cannot run more than about 12-14 pounds of boost.

It does involve a lot of work to get everything to fit right.  .

Fiid.

Fiid,

My first recommendation, is to not get too greedy and keep boost levels in the 5-7psi range. You will realize plenty of performance gain. Beyond that, you start to get into an area where subtleties can break things and componentry and motor construction gets expensive. As I posted before, I had a kit on my '73 2.0 back in '75....I think it was a Crown kit, but frankly I don't remember. I do know the turbo was RayJay. Turbo was mounted low, but sufficiently above the sump for good oil drainage. I ran both EFI and draw-through systems. The EFI had some lean-out issues, and the draw-through had the normal slow throttle.

Andy
fiid
Exactly my point. Don't get greedy on the boost.

I think running a system like the megasquirt will alleviate most of the fuel system issues.

Fiid.
redshift
With the relative 'low redline vs high torque curve', I wonder how it all acts.. I can't see me *not* blowing that car up.

I want a supercharger on the 2.0, and I want a big MFI/6.

SEND MONEY!

M
-email cash only, no money orders-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.