Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: early 911's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
blink.gif

Just curious. Could there possibly be an early 911 site similar to this site? Though I'm 914 forever, I have a 73 T that needs some attention. Wonder if there's a site that has some decent resto info. Have no intention of turning it to a track car after all these years & it runs just fine. But, would like to connect with people of similar interests for these cars. Owned it for 15 years & only occasionally drive it, but need to either have more fun with it or buy another 914.

Tried the early 911SIG, but nothing seesm to happening there. I know some of you guys have 911's - any suggestions?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 1 2006, 07:24 PM) *

any suggestions?

http://www.911club.com/

av-943.gif Andy
Joe Bob
Early "S" registry....

http://www.early911sregistry.org/
Eric_Shea
I'd love it... problem I've found with most 911 owners is... well, honestly, I can't seem to find words for it. They're just not like 914 owners. The handful that are, seem to be here. I don't think they're all dicks etc. (I'm sure those comments are to come) but... it does seem to be a different breed.

I'm with ya 100%. It would be cool to have a 911 board like this. I just don't think it could be like this. Maybe I've haunted the early911sregistry too much but... confused24.gif

What do you guys think?
Eric_Shea
Early "S" registry....

Cool for info but about 180 from this crowd.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 1 2006, 07:29 PM) *

I'd love it... problem I've found with most 911 owners is... well, honestly, I can't seem to find words for it. They're just not like 914 owners. The handful that are, seem to be here. I don't think they're all dicks etc. (I'm sure those comments are to come) but... it does seem to be a different breed.

I'm with ya 100%. It would be cool to have a 911 board like this. I just don't think it could be like this. Maybe I've haunted the early911sregistry too much but... confused24.gif

What do you guys think?

Different sense of humor with the 911 guys and even more so with the 356ers.....older crowd born with Q Tips up there asses....
Eric_Shea
http://www.911t.org/ confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
Different sense of humor with the 911 guys and even more so with the 356ers.....older crowd born with Q Tips up there asses....

I agree but i hate to lump them all in that one group... I just haven't met a SLITS on that side. (maybe that's a good thing!) w00t.gif
pete-stevers
Andy's got all sorts of spare time......lets see...maybe we can ask him to moderate....

Well........

Andy......

where are you?????
Cap'n Krusty
Ahem! The Cap'n is in.

I believe between our newbie, Joe Schneider, Otto, and myownself, we can answer just about ANY question you might legitimately have about your '73 911. Finding the time to help you might be tough, but it CAN be done. We HAVE BTDT. BTW, a 73 is hardly an "early" 911, being from the 9th year of production, and the 3rd series (911C).

The Cap'n.
Gilbert914
We have a club in the UK, caters for all pre-74 porsches, 356,911,912,914 and even replicas (550's etc.) nowhere near as much traffic as on here but worth a look beerchug.gif

http://www.ddk-online.com

and of course there's always the bird site
zymurgist
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 1 2006, 10:29 PM) *

They're just not like 914 owners. The handful that are, seem to be here.

I've seen comments on other boards regarding my other 4-wheeled passions (914's, Corvettes) that just reek of smugness and 911 chauvinism. Y'all are a pretty accepting crew around here. (Once I got the message that my 911 would be a good donor car for a /6 conversion, that is. laugh.gif )
Eric_Shea
BTW, a 73 is hardly an "early" 911, being from the 9th year of production, and the 3rd series (911C).

Dearest Ancient One,

These kiddos now-a-days are calling anythink up to a mid-80's car and early 911. lol3.gif

In my book the "early" moniker ends with the 73 though...

Ken, that's an interesting car. What 2.4 did you update your 70 with?
MoveQik
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 2 2006, 03:24 AM) *

Y'all are a pretty accepting crew around here. (Once I got the message that my 911 would be a good donor car for a /6 conversion, that is. laugh.gif )

av-943.gif beerchug.gif
BK911
I can't believe nobody mention pelican parts. Probably the best early 911 reference board there is. Definitely a different crowd, but use the search function. Pretty much everything is covered in the archives somewhere.

I consider an early car the long hoods, anything before 74.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 2 2006, 09:29 AM) *

Ken, that's an interesting car. What 2.4 did you update your 70 with?

Eric,

I don't know a lot about the engine and car because I didn't build it. I bought it from the guy who did build it, though. It's a 2.4 with S heads and (I believe) S cams, Carrera tensioners, MFI dialed in correctly for the displacement (in other words, I don't mess with it). I had it dyno'ed at Carlisle a year ago, and if I remember correctly, it has something like 190 horsepower at the wheels. Fiberglass front bumper and engine lid, lightweight S calipers, 23mm Mercedes master cylinder (hard hard brakes), and I just bought an M&K muffler to lighten it up a little bit more. Haven't installed it yet, though.

The PO used to race and autocross the car in Virginia. I've only ever driven it on public roads so far, but it is definitely a screamer. Thanks for asking!

Oh yeah... BK911 is absolutely correct. The bird board has more information than anyone can ever assimilate when it comes to 911's.
Eric_Shea
Damn... wub.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 2 2006, 01:16 PM) *

Damn... wub.gif

Too bad you're so far away... I bet you'd get a kick out of driving it. I will be taking it to the East Coast Cookout at Babydoll's home.

Every time I go to Utah, I drive a rental car. (Customer site is located in Ogden.) I don't think my 911 would even run on 85 octane, but the guy who built the engine built it with the intent of running on 87 octane, which it does just fine.
Eric_Shea
When you come out you can drive mine wink.gif

71T full RS clone basically all factory parts. Running Greg Dondero's old 2.5 H/C S motor until the 3.0 MFI motor is finished, then the 2.5 goes in the teener.

Building a 930/07 into a stock MFI motor to mimick the 901/77 motor (or is that 911/77 someone with Bruce's book at hand can correct me).

So far Harry Beiker has built and rebuilt the MFI on the induction side and Gus will get the pump. Putting JE's in there with 9.5:1. Like yours' it should be fine with pump gas. S-Cams as well. I'm only going with 36mm ports though. Factory never went above 36mm with S-Cams and I don't care if it goes 160mph vs. 150mph, I want it fairly streetable. biggrin.gif
zymurgist
Sweet! I'll have to see if they need any volunteers for workstation deployment in Ogden. I've got a hankering for Farr's ice cream anyway...
RickS
Between Pelican Parts 911 Tech BB and early 911S board you will get all your questions answered.

Since I frequent 4 boards for info on my cars, I am happy to say that no one board has the corner on being angels, or at least being a little smug about their cars. It's only human nature to think whatever you have is best - when egos get involved, then things get ugly. I haven't seen a BB yet that hasn't cast stones at the others for whatever reason - therefore none are without sin.

Personally, this and the Pelican 914 board, have to be the most open, easy going groups, which I really appreciate. I get accurate info quick, from knowledgeable people (or else you take and pick the info you want), who do so with a smile and genuine concern.

For 914 info THIS is the place. For early 911, the S Reg and Pelican are great.

Pat Garvey
I've checked all of these sites & am a member of one, but info isn't easy to come by & the fellowship isn't there in any of them. I want a pre-74 911 site that's just like this one dammit! Can't believe such a site doesn't exist.

Maybe I should by the '72 914 on evilbay & use my 73T as a donor car. Christ, my wife would Lorena Bobbit me. She love that T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.