Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Progress!(?) /6 continued
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I am pretty buzzed right now so my typing may be worse than usual.

So I get my new valve cover seals in and set to cleaning the surfaces that it goes on. I install and am feeling pretty good. Last I ran the car it idled on its own. Wellllll, of course ther was a problem or two.

1. I notice that after my big oil slick in my garage I needed to add oil (duh). So, I add oil until it hits tyhe max mark on the dip stick. Only problem, there musty have been a bunch of oil sequestered in the engine and other side as when I had it running the oil level quickly rose and started to poor out of the vent tube for the tank. MF!!!! So I kill it and start to mop up the mess. The oil level in the tank was WAY high (obviously). Still learning the ways of the /6.

2. Unrelated but similarly irritating, I was noticing that #6 plug wire looked loose. It was. Inspection mirror showed that the nipple dealy that screws onto the end of the spark plug was no longer there. WTF! So I extract, reinstall another one, and reinstall.

Well, a little tweaking should find it running tomarrow. A little one way = back firing through the air box, a little the other = runs a little under powered. I am close.

I am starting to set up programming of my MJLJ. I hate dizzys.
mightyohm
Hey Mike, you're supposed to check the oil level with the engine running. That explains the oil fountain. :-)
Dr Evil
I actually did not know that.....well that would have saved me some more mess to clean up. AHHHHHHH! I am better now.

av-943.gif

damnit
914-8
LOL!

It's a "dry sump" system. When the engine is running, oil is pumped out from the crankcase into the remote oil tank. So when running, there's very little oil in the crankcase. The dipstick is keyed to that condition.

When you turn the car off, the oil pump of course stops pumping oil out of the crankcase and into the remote tank. Oil therefore drains from the heads, etc. into the crankcase and collects there. Not exactly sure how much drains to the crankcase with the engine off, but from doing oil changes, I'd guess it's a good 3+ quarts more than with the engine running. Maybe 4.
thesey914
Dr Evil -have you run another thread on MJLJnr? I would like to see your set up for throttle position and vaccum etc
Dr Evil
James, I can start another one as soon as I have something to post. I am only running a MPS, no TPS on my version.
Aaron Cox
too funny mike...

it has happened to lots of people tho... no one thinks to check it while running
Dr Evil
I am still laughing about it. It seems that kitty litter is my most valuable tool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.