Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a source for new gas pedals?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
The rubber on my gas pedal is split across the the backside by where it meets the floor, causing it to move fairly easy from side-to-side in addition to the direction that it's supposed to travel.

Is there a source for new ones, or should I post a WTB add in the classifieds?

Also on a somewhat related topic, the diaphragm inside my intake plenum (sp) sticks in the closed position making it tough to start from a dead stop very smoothly without keeping the clutch in and over reving the engine. I assume that the plenum itself is not exactly round anymore. Has anyone else encountred this problem? Can I use a hone to fix the plenum walls like you would with a cylinder or should I just look for a 'new'plenum? Would a 'new' plenum require a new gasket as well?

btw, the car is a '75 2.0.

Muchas gracias! beer.gif
SirAndy
- gas pedal:
the metal hinge inside is broken. if you can move it left/right at all, it's the metal inside that rusted through ...
i don't know of anybody making factory replacements, there are shiny aluminium replacements available.
if you care about the stock look, get a good used one (hard to come by) ...
otherwise, do the cheap-o home depot replacement. i'm not kidding you. take off the rubber of your old one and you'll see that it looks surprisingly like a $5 door hinge from home depot ...
(hi trek! bye1.gif )

- plenum:
don't hone the plenum, try to work the plate instead ... they can get sticky over the years, usually due to grime buildup etc. a good cleaning with some steel wool should take care of this. also, the shaft sometimes gets sticky, some penetrating lube can work wonders on those ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 1 2006, 11:18 PM) *

The rubber on my gas pedal is split across the the backside by where it meets the floor, causing it to move fairly easy from side-to-side in addition to the direction that it's supposed to travel.

Is there a source for new ones, or should I post a WTB add in the classifieds?

Also on a somewhat related topic, the diaphragm inside my intake plenum (sp) sticks in the closed position making it tough to start from a dead stop very smoothly without keeping the clutch in and over reving the engine. I assume that the plenum itself is not exactly round anymore. Has anyone else encountred this problem? Can I use a hone to fix the plenum walls like you would with a cylinder or should I just look for a 'new'plenum? Would a 'new' plenum require a new gasket as well?

btw, the car is a '75 2.0.

Muchas gracias! beer.gif

I got my new replacement from the Pelican Parts site but GGR and Rich Bontempi at High Performance House should also have this. I suspect even the dealer, who suprizingly sometimes has the best price might have it.
Cheap as I recall. about $20 - 30 bucks...

Rob
tdgray
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 2 2006, 02:23 AM) *

- gas pedal:
the metal hinge inside is broken. if you can move it left/right at all, it's the metal inside that rusted through ...
i don't know of anybody making factory replacements, there are shiny aluminium replacements available.
if you care about the stock look, get a good used one (hard to come by) ...
otherwise, do the cheap-o home depot replacement. i'm not kidding you. take off the rubber of your old one and you'll see that it looks surprisingly like a $5 door hinge from home depot ...

cool_shades.gif Andy

I did just that... cept' it was a $3.00 hinge from HD. Welded it to the existing metal and drilled appropriate holes for mounting to the floor. DONE beer.gif
Cap'n Krusty
I'll guarandamntee you new gas padals are NOT $20-30. They were $80ish a couple of years ago. They MAY be available from the dealer. I have a couple of real nice used ones for 60 bucks. As for fixing yours with a hinge, I can tall you that I've done that. On the Thunderbus I got about 3 years per hinge, and I fixed it 7 or 8 times over the 25 years we drove it. Irritating, to say the least. The Cap'n
Demick
New gas pedals are commonly available from anyone who sells Porsche parts. It's the same part as any early 911 uses. But they are not as cheap as others have said. More like $70 or so.

Demick

Edit: oops, the Capt'n beat me to it.
736conver
For $20 you can do the later 911 gas pedal. You have to trim a tab off the back but it works great.

Click to view attachment
maf914
I don't remember the price I paid 6 or 7 years ago, but new gas pedals are not cheap. The hinge failure due to wear and rust is a gradual process and I didn't realize how sloppy the pedal motion had become. You'll appreciate the improvement when you replace the pedal with a new one or a repaired hinge.
rjames
I'll try the home depot hinge idea- thanks!

- plenum:
don't hone the plenum, try to work the plate instead ... they can get sticky over the years, usually due to grime buildup etc. a good cleaning with some steel wool should take care of this. also, the shaft sometimes gets sticky, some penetrating lube can work wonders on those ...

I'll try cleaning the plenum a bit more, but was a little worried about using steel wool or any abrasive material while it was installed. I don't want debris falling in there, and I was worried that if I actually remove the plenum I'll mess up the gasket. Any tips here?

Thanks!
SirAndy
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 2 2006, 08:33 AM) *

Any tips here?

get some generic gasket material, take plenum off, clean, trace gasket, cut new gasket ...

voila!
smile.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 2 2006, 08:54 AM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 2 2006, 08:33 AM) *

Any tips here?

get some generic gasket material, take plenum off, clean, trace gasket, cut new gasket ...

voila!
smile.gif Andy

The "Plenum" is the large sheet metal chamber located between the intake runners, and attaches to them via 4 2" long pieces of hose. It is also bolted to the case. There is NO plenum gasket, per se. What the original poster describes as the "plenum" is actually the throttle body. What you guys are doing is entering yet MORE bad info into the archives. The sticking TB butterfly can be attributed to wear caused by id slamming shut over a long period of time. Gentle sanding, perhaps a repositioning of the disc, and some lube in the throttle shaft bores should clear it up. Unlike the 1.7 & 1.8 conical TB gaskets, the 2L TB gaskets are still available, IIRC. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 2 2006, 09:12 AM) *

is actually the throttle body
alright, throttle body it is then ... gasket goes between where the TB connects to the plenum ...

we're getting there, be patient with us Mr. Krusty ...
beerchug.gif Andy
william harris
I just got a new one from my local Porsche parts department. They are still available from Porsche.
rjames
There is NO plenum gasket, per se. What the original poster describes as the "plenum" is actually the throttle body

My mistake, I did mean the throttle body. Thanks cap'n

Gentle sanding, perhaps a repositioning of the disc, and some lube in the throttle shaft bores should clear it up. Unlike the 1.7 & 1.8 conical TB gaskets, the 2L TB gaskets are still available, IIRC. The Cap'n

I can definitely feel with my finger that the shape of the Throttle Body has changed where the butterfly closes. Is it possible to adjust the butterfly's position in the TB? It doesn't appear to be adjustable. Knowing that the gaskets are available makes me a little more relaxed about taking the TB off and really trying to clean it up, although a 'gentle sanding' might be more in order as the things sticks REALLY tightly.

Thanks all!
fiid
I have a good condition gas pedal you can have for $50 plus shipping if you like. PM me - I can take pictures of it for you if you wish to inspect... have to find it though... smile.gif
I went to an aftermarket rice pedal smile.gif
GWN7
Hmmm gas pedals....rubber and a hinge....Hmmmmm idea.gif
Toast
My gas pedal is broke in the same place. Makes acceleration challenging as the pedal sometimes slides to one side.
MoveQik
QUOTE(736conver @ Jun 2 2006, 07:39 AM) *

For $20 you can do the later 911 gas pedal. You have to trim a tab off the back but it works great.

That is what I did. Made the car much faster as well.
So.Cal.914
Got one from AA (Iknow I know) about 10 yrs. ago, price was worth it. Easy

install. Love the Avatar Toast. driving-girl.gif
rjames
Love the Avatar Toast.

Yeah, I saw that and forgot what this thread was about... cool.gif
boxstr

Did the samething, works and looks great.
CCLINGASIT
rjames
For $20 you can do the later 911 gas pedal.

Where did you find a 911 gas pedal for $20? Was it used?

And what years does 'later' denote?

If I can't find new(ish) for $20(ish) then I'll probably be making a trip to home depot. smile.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 3 2006, 10:17 AM) *

How hard is it to go to Pelicanparts.com and click a few buttons???

ditto to above response poke.gif

If I can't find new(ish) for $20(ish) then I'll probably be making a trip to home depot. smile.gif

Click to view attachment[

Mueller
oh yea, the half-@ss door hinge approach kinda defeats the "spring" design of the original pedal.........
736conver
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 3 2006, 12:17 PM) *

It is a brand new pedal. Any porsche vendor will work. GPR, my favorite, Pelican, etc...

You will need to cut a tab off the back though, its not a complete plug and play. Its just a piece of plastic though.
rjames

Very difficult after breathing in POR15 all day... Thanks for the underscore in the form of a screen shot. flipa.gif smile.gif

Actually I figured that after seeing posts about new 914 pedals being $70 or more that all new porsche pedals would go for that amount. Nice to know a new Porsche part can be had for less then $25 bucks.

Rand
oh yea, the half-@ss door hinge approach kinda defeats the "spring" design of the original pedal.........

biggrin.gif I love your subtle style Mike. wacko.gif laugh.gif beerchug.gif

There's a necessary spring effect in the hinge? Bah. On my car the springs at the throttle body are plenty. I just want the hinge to work freely!

Besides, Sabine Schmitz uses Home Depot parts in her 914 taxi. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.