Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A New-To-Me 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MBowman325
I've made arrangements to fly out to LA and pick up the green '75 1.8 for sale next weekend, and plan on driving it back home to Texas. Looks like about a 1400 mile trip. Plan on stopping in Phoenix, and maybe taking I10 to I20 back to DFW. Home's just an hour + from there.

Leamon and the person who looked over it both said that it's ready to go, and I'm hoping for an easy trip back. I've got a few friends in Phoenix and family in El Paso that I'll stop to visit.

Gonna stick my meter and some papers on the L-Jet in my bag when I go. I'd like to take a spare radio I have to stick in and have tunes in the evenings, but I don't know how "security" would react to that. confused24.gif

Any recommendations are welcome!

Here to a good run! beer.gif
nomore9one4
Congrats on the purchase. Good luck on the drive and as Hillary Clinton says drive 55 and save gas av-943.gif
ninefourteener
You could always mail it to the seller??? Then just pick it up when you get there.

Otherwise.. Have a good trip!! Good luck!!
Gint
Congratulations!

And BTW...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Get some noise canceling headphones. The noise from 1400 miles in a 914 running down south with the 2x55(or 65 of 75 or 85) air conditioning really wears on you. And you'll be deaf for a couple of days afterwards.
VaccaRabite
Good luck! Let us know how it turns out and post up some pics of your trip and new car.

Zach
Allan
driving.gif
VegasRacer
ROAD TRIP !!! boldblue.gif
Keep us posted and Happy Motoring. driving.gif
MBowman325
Yeah, I used that system in an old Honda I used to have. 'cept it was 3x65 with a "removable" rear window. I'll be investigating A/C once I get it home. smile.gif Should have Sunday and Monday to recover before I go back to work.

QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 2 2006, 06:36 AM) *

The noise from 1400 miles in a 914 running down south with the 2x55(or 65 of 75 or 85) air conditioning really wears on you. And you'll be deaf for a couple of days afterwards.

MBowman325
I'll be taking my "good" camera phone with me, so maybe I'll catch some good pics, so long as it's not dark. If I weren't packing light, I'd bring my Nikon FTn and case, but it's a bit big.

Thought about mailing the radio out there like you said, there's plenty of time for it to make it... I may do that..

Here's a pic of the car. I've got a buddy here that owns a paint and body shop, so if it's not something that I can compound out and make it look halfway decent, I'll call him up and see what we can do. Carpet's a little worn, and the paint's sorta flat and un-pretty, but no rust from what I've heard from them. Just a couple of cosmetic issues that I can fix as I drive it.

Click to view attachment
VegasRacer
rocking nana.gif
KaptKaos
Where is LA is it? If its close enough, you can ship stuff to me. Just PM me if you are interested.

Nice looking car too.
MBowman325
Joe, thanks for the offer! I think what I'll do is pick one up in Phoenix, along with some speakers that a friend of mine is gonna snag for me.

So, other than a meter, flashlight, ear plugs smile.gif , and some documentation, is there any other recommended tools or items that I take with me or find before I take off on the road?

Didn't get around to AAA yesterday, but I'll do that this weekend or Monday as a fall back deal. Here's a little better pic of the car too

Click to view attachment
jd66921
You should have a good time. I just did the same trip except I continued on to
Corpus Christi. I brought earplugs and a portable radio/CD player. If I was
tired of the noise I just put the plugs in. Otherwise, I just put the headphones on.
Sometimes I didn't bother with either. I was having too much fun driving! One
nice thing is that the car tracked so well that it was not effort to control. I did 700
miles the second day.

The only drawback was that it ran worse and worse as I drove, and I have not
been able to fix it yet! I'm getting closer (or running out of ideas!)
gregrobbins
When will you be hitting Phoenix. If you wanted to do a 914 dinner, I'll bet we could get a few folks out to meet with you.
shelby/914
Avoid the possible hassel from our friends in security, break down and check a bag with the tools. One of our guys tried to carry on a shorty lug wrench about 8" long w/ blunt end and was turned back. Of course they let him carry on a jack stand. screwy.gif
MBowman325
I'm not real sure when I'll be Phoenix. The plane will land in LA around 2:10. It depends on when I get outta there. Rand McNally says it's a 5 1/2 drive to Phoenix. I'm hoping to be there before 9 PM. Not real sure when I'll be leaving the next morning. If the car feels good, I'm gonna try to cover the rest of the trip the next day, so I'll prob be outta there by 9 or 10 AM.

smile.gif I'll see what I can pull off though. Always a blast to catch up with people on the boards!

GWN7
Get a plastic ammo case (the kind that locks) and load it with any tools you need for the trip and you can put the radio in it when you go. You have to check it as baggage and lock it. Get the contact list from Greg. Some simple spare parts: clutch & throttle cables, points & condensor, spare fuses. You can add to the list depending on the size of the ammo box. wink.gif

Good luck and enjoy the road trip smile.gif
Heeltoe914
8mm 10mm 11mm 13mm 17mm 19mm open ends. Some sockets same size, flashlight, points, and condenser. One long spark plug wire. A spark plug, Allen’s for fan belt and CV joints, One-quart oil 30W, test light. Ohmmeter. Sandpaper, screwdrivers long and real short, jumper wire, with two clips on it, pliers,fuses, and umbrella, a can Fix a Flat and a tube of grease.
This is what I carry when I go to pick up a car I seem to be prepared and only one time did I have to use the parts. If you can clutch cable & throttle cable. I drove home from one trip with the throttle cable over the roll bar. It worked got me home. Walmart AutoZone etc. I will drive you to put the list together when you arrive. The good thing is all the part listed are good on any 914 and will stay in the car for as long as you have it, Like they say don’t leave home without your ammo box.

Here is the inside of your car.I will see if I have the plate for over the radio face.
AZ914
Dude.. its about 105-115 in AZ now. You might want to do some night driving...

Good luck!!
MBowman325
Leamon, good deal! I'll bring what I can; apprecaite you going outta the way to help me finish the prep.

If I was still working nights like I used to, I wouldn't have many issues with driving at night. I've thought about it though. I'll have plenty of fluids (for me smile.gif ) with me in the car. If it get's that bad, I'll break it up into smaller chunks and drive in the late evenings when it's back down to the high 90s or early mornings

wacko.gif I drove for about six years here with no AC, in a dark brown car. Some days felt like I was 'bout to fall alseep at the wheel. Summer after I graduated HS, we had a streak of 30 consecutive days I think of 100+ and 10 - 15 consecutive of 110+. Sucked hard. Had to wear a tie when I did some of my service calls. Defeated the purpose when I showed up covered in sweat and had to recover for a few minutes. Definately part of the trip I'm not excited about, but I figure if I don't push the car too hard, and keep water in me, it should be OK. biggrin.gif Hope so anyways! Need to go pick up a lightweight white longsleeve t-shirt or three in the next day or two...

It's been cool here, I think it only hit 97 today. 101 tomorrow.. Glad I don't do construction anymore.
MBowman325
Minor change in plans for the route in the way home. I think from Phoenix, I'm gonna pop back up to I40 and use Albuquerque as a halfway point for the final leg home. I'm guessing with some leeway, it'll be late, 10ish (MST) before I get into Phoenix Thursday night. With any luck, I'll be home by 10:00 (CST) Friday night if I make an early start.

confused24.gif Who knows, I may blow off some stuff at home and work and extend the trip out another day and take it slower.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.