Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starting problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
modpr2
sometimes my 914 starts sometimes it doesnt. it usually starts when it has not been driven for awhile (atleast a couple hours). but always fails to start if i shut it off then try to start it up again right away. it will always start if i push start it and it will stay running so i think i have a bad starter. what do you think. thank you
Bartlett 914
When you say "wont start", do you mean the starter doesn't engage?

Some cars have an extra relay near the starter. I think this is to insure full power to the starter solenoid. I just repaired mine. The motor had come out of a car that had this relay. I didn't use it. This week the solenoid stopped engaging. I had to get under the car with a screwdriver and short the positive terminal to the solonoid terminal. After a few sparks the solonoid would click. I was then able to start the car normally. I just finished replacing the starter. Maybe someone here can explain the real reason this relay is sometimes added.

If your problem is not a starter engaging problem, well sorry for the long reply.
Rand
If it push starts, then I assume by not starting you mean it doesn't even try to crank. That could be: cracked ignition switch, dirty battery terminals, bad ground, fault in starter circuit between switch and solenoid (such as at seatbelt relay under passenger seat on newer cars), bad solenoid, etc.
Rand
The screwdriver trick Bartlett mentioned is a super quick way to rule out most of the list in a couple seconds. When it's failing to crank with key, put car in nuetral, blocked or ebrake on, short from main power to solenoid tab (red to green arrow in photo).

IPB Image
MecGen
Hi
This is actually a common problem for 914s. The starter gets hot and the relay resistance goes up, causing a "hot" dead starter. A good rebiuld will work but using a remote relay will insure many years of trouble free performance. drunk.gif
Do a search, I think theres a "how to" on the PP forum....

Later
beerchug.gif
So.Cal.914
I had the same problem, like MecGen said it is a common problem. They sell a

Hot start kit, very cheap considering the alternative. Hook up a few wires and I

never had the problem again, and I live in the desert.
draperjojo
If its turning over than the othe thing you want to rule out is a compression problem. I had the same problem once and it turned out to be bad rings. I did a compression test that came out low, so I did a "wet & dry test" to determine that in my case it was rings. Chances are with the 914, you need the hot start kit though.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(draperjojo @ Jun 2 2006, 09:55 PM) *

If its turning over than the othe thing you want to rule out is a compression problem. I had the same problem once and it turned out to be bad rings. I did a compression test that came out low, so I did a "wet & dry test" to determine that in my case it was rings. Chances are with the 914, you need the hot start kit though.

At the beginning of this thread he was talking about the fact that it would not

turn over (starter would not funtion) when it was hot. But he could bump start it

and it would run fine.
smooth_eddy
If it is a hot start problem, putting an additional relay on is just a band-aid. The best way to fix the hot (no) start problem is to buy the Nippondenso starter off eBay. Cost about a hundred bucks and installs in an hour. Eddy
Tobra
I thought putting a 911 starter would fix mine. Now, one time it did not fire, but did spin nice and fast with that starter. Waited 15 minutes and it fired right up.
SGB
Is it a high compression motor? Do you have the timing advanced a wee bit? I kill starters with regularity ( one every 4 or 5 years anyway) using both of the above. I've finally backed off on the advance a little (cause I got a mallory adjustable dizzy), but my next one will probably be one of those lightweaght ebay ones. I think if you have starting problems go ahead and plunk down the money fer a new one, or a rebuilt Bosch..
So.Cal.914
The hot start problem was driving me crazy ever sence I got my 914. From 1982

to 1995, I have spent way to much money on starters. I was told that it was

the starter and stupid me I would buy another one. And each time the problem

would come back. Sence 95 when I got the hot start kit it has not happened

again. Maybe the "Rice" starter will fix the problem if so, Cool.
modpr2
sorry everyone be away for alittle while. read through all your posts and to answer your questions. it is a stock motor, when i say it wont start i mean the starter wont even crank. SoCal914 should i try to put a starter in it Kragen has one for about 75 dollars for the 1.8 engine or should i try the hot start kit first. and where did you get your hot start kit. i saw one at pelican parts. this week im going to try to do the screwdriver short out test you guys told me about. thanks
GWN7
Clean your ground posts on the body. The one by the battery and the trany to body one. While you have the wires off, look at the wire, it's 30+ years old, so...

Then replace those ground straps. Over time corrosion can build up in the wires. You might replace the starter wire too (starter to battery) and add a battery to the engine block ground connection also. Lots of hard/hot start problems are solved with fixing the grounds. Total cost for the 4 wires and cleaning ground connections ....less than $25

Then if that dosen't solve the problem, replace the starter. Choices are one from FLAPS or the Nippon off Ebay.

Start with the easy (costs less) fixes. Then move up to the more expensive ones.

My 70 didn't have a ground strap.....once warm it would not start. Push start yes. Now it starts all the time.
Dave_Darling
Kragen will try to sell you the wrong starter. It's a misprint in their parts book. Tell them you need "SR17X", not the 14 or whatever number they try to sell you.

I have found that most of the cheapie "lifetime warranty" parts are fairly poor quality. I guess they figure that it's such a pain to replace the part that you'll give up and not bother trying to deal with the warranty...

--DD
modpr2
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jun 6 2006, 10:38 PM) *

Clean your ground posts on the body. The one by the battery and the trany to body one. While you have the wires off, look at the wire, it's 30+ years old, so...

Then replace those ground straps. Over time corrosion can build up in the wires. You might replace the starter wire too (starter to battery) and add a battery to the engine block ground connection also. Lots of hard/hot start problems are solved with fixing the grounds. Total cost for the 4 wires and cleaning ground connections ....less than $25

Then if that dosen't solve the problem, replace the starter. Choices are one from FLAPS or the Nippon off Ebay.

Start with the easy (costs less) fixes. Then move up to the more expensive ones.

My 70 didn't have a ground strap.....once warm it would not start. Push start yes. Now it starts all the time.

anyone have pictures of the ground strap. thanks
Tobra
Ground strap is braided part that goes from tranny to floor of trunk, can't miss it.

The SR14 is for a type 1 VW, so Kragen thinks they are VW's, apparently
Dr Evil
Hey man, I had the same problem that only got worse on a trip through the Mojave.

Why does the system fail and why does the hot start solinoid fix it?

The start circuit in our cars goes from the battery --> through the ignition switch-->through the circuit board-->then to the starter.

If you lose as much as .5v in the circuit your car may not start. This is assuming the ground strap from the end of the tranny to the trunk floor and all battery connections are in good shape.

The hot start kit takes the start circuit and shortens it. It takes the power directly from the battery and routs it right to start solinoid. The relay needs less voltage to trigger it to connect this new circuit so the old part of the original circuit provides enough to trigger.

The hot start is a bandaid if the other parts of your circuit; grounds, battery connections, are not in good repair.

I have the nippon starter, I like it a lot, and I have the hot start kit as it unstresses the original start circuit.

You can make your own hot start kit for $15. I just went to Kragen and asked to see some of their generic starter relays. I picked one that was from a Ford or Chevy and installed it.
Dr Evil
Oh ya, as for the wrong starter they will try to sell you, it is for a TIV bus and has a post sticking out of the starter that the gear rides on. Ours has no post.
Gint
The relay is a good idea anyway for the reasons that Dr. Evil indicated. *BUT*, sometimes the starter is also weak and cannot overcome the voltage losses when it gets hot. I've had 914's that exhibited this problem even after installation of a hot start relay kit. But a cheap japanese hi torque starter fixed that.

There are actually (IMHO) two causes for this problem. Yours could be either or both. This is why I think there is so much confusion on the subject. Again, it's just my opinion, but I've been through 6 914's and currently own 3, so, take this for what it's worth. It would be a good idea to start with a relay and then replace the starter if/when that becomes necessary. If you do that, you'll have years of trouble free starting in your 914.

My current 914 (The Zambeziteen!) has a stock starter with a Ford relay (again as Dr. Evil indicated) installed. Starts every time, no matter what the conditions.
modpr2
first off i just want to say thank you for all the help so far. i got the car jacked up and did the screwdriver starter short trick and it cranked fine. i dont want to seem like an idiot but can someone walk me through how to make my own hotstart kit with parts form kragen or autozone. thanks so much

Gint
QUOTE(modpr2 @ Jun 8 2006, 04:35 PM) *

first off i just want to say thank you for all the help so far. i got the car jacked up and did the screwdriver starter short trick and it cranked fine. i dont want to seem like an idiot but can someone walk me through how to make my own hotstart kit with parts form kragen or autozone. thanks so much

I'm going to have my car on the lift tomorrow afternoon. I can take pics of the wiring and the Ford relay. It's pretty simple stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.