Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brakes.. Hmm... stumped.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
I get 1.5 inches of freeplay, mushy, and no return there.

The brakes drag if the pedal is simply released, and I have to toe under it, and bring it out .2 inches to stop the dragging.

Been there?

M
Brad Roberts
Master cylinder is toast. Replace it.

How are you Miles ??

B
redshift
smile.gif

Smiling, it's still flaking off.

Would I still have brakes if it was toast, oh... you mean it's toast because it's not returning.. hey, first time for me on this failure mode.

This car defys history.

M
campbellcj
Hopefully there's not a big puddle of brake fluid in your pedal cluster now ohmy.gif
redshift
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Sep 28 2003, 05:12 PM)
Hopefully there's not a big puddle of brake fluid in your pedal cluster now ohmy.gif

No there isn't. No pumping required, excellent stopping. The brakes work better than any others I've had, it's just that last sticky inch.

I have other issues, maybe I am lost in the trouble loop.

Up to redlights, as I am barely rolling... the last 2-3 feet before the car stops, foot off the pedal, it's almost stopping the car, unless I lift the brake pedal just that teeny bit..

I jacked it up, and the rear wheels are dragging, you can turn them, you have to pull pretty hard though.

This happened when the new motor was installed, I think I can imagine what's up, all of a sudden..

smile.gif

M
seanery
how old are the rubber brake lines in your car?

Maybe they have too much cholesterol in them?
redshift
Lines?

laugh.gif

M
Andyrew
Rebuild pedal cluster? I have about as much freeplay as you on my brakes, I thought it was normal.. New M/C, New lines, Rebuilt calipers... Do I need to bleed the brakes again? I did it already 3 times (before it saw road). I can lock up the brakes though, and it stops fine.

Andrew
redshift
Andrew, there is supposed to be free-play, no braking, and you can wobble it easy with your hand.

My free-play is sticky, and braking starts in that sticky free-play area, and it doesn't fully return.

I am going to assume that Brad is wrong, and try something first, then I am going to assume he's right.

If that doesn't help, I will assume that seanery is right, and after that I'll PM URY914, then go down the list, emailing everyone.. by that time, maybe your brakes have aged enough for you to help me out..

If not, there is always Kellzey.

M
Part Pricer
I know what your problem is.

But, Karl paid me not to tell you. ohmy.gif laugh.gif
redshift
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Sep 29 2003, 01:00 PM)
I know what your problem is.

But, Karl paid me not to tell you. ohmy.gif laugh.gif

blink.gif

The flightless bird on the right of your avatar is me, and the other one is Karl.

happy11.gif

M
JWest
Cluster bushings. The pedal would still come back with a bad master cylinder (leaving you with tons of freeplay).
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(James Adams @ Sep 29 2003, 01:18 PM)
Cluster bushings. The pedal would still come back with a bad master cylinder (leaving you with tons of freeplay).

agree.gif
The brake pedal return spring is on the pivot shaft. Nothing but bad bushings would prevent the pedal from returning.
redshift
I found under my pedal board:

1. Dirt

2. Dirt

3. A Star Wars ticket stub

4. Dirt

5. Dirt impregnated grease

6. Who is Walter Mondale?

7. A fine dusting of dirt.

I cleaned it real good, there is still alot of dirt in there, and now my clutch pedal is making a popping sound from the cluster.

I hate you guys, and the Walter Mondale you rode in on.

smile.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.