Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car numbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
jimtab
OK so I signed up for the track day on Oct. 27th (why wouldn't I) and now I need to get the car ready for that and WCC06/ It's going to Rich next week for a look over and the routinue stuff, valve adj., bearings. brakes, etc. I am having new 205/50/15 Aenzies mounted on the Fuchs, and I'm still not sure about the AER wheels yet, the offset looks wrong. Anyway, now I've been assigned numbers by zone 7, ggr, etc. and need to get "gumballs"....so here is the question...do the vinyl numbers stay on well, can they be reused, and if so, how many times...I really don't want to keep the gumballs on...just not my style. Is a mag. gumball better and then do you put vinyl numbers on it or paint , or??? Talk to be OBwans.... pray.gif
URY914
Jim,

Vinyl numbers are a only one time deal. Put them on and they stay on. BUT, you can put vinyl on the flexible magnitic sheets and you can reuse them for years. The numbers have to be big enough for the magnate to get a good hold of the body. And they won't stick to bondo (don't ask me how I know). A meatball that is 16" in diameter with big 8" numbers will stick fine. You have to keep them laid flat when not in use or they will conform to the shape and not stick to the car.

Paul
DanT
Jim,
Magnetics are fine...as long as the back of the magnetic is clean and the surface you are putting it on is clean.
If I were you I would use a square or rectangle and then tape (painters tape) the periphery so the number doesnt move and you dont get dust behind it.

I used magnetics for years on my street/track cars with no problems as long as I used them that way. I had an orange and several red cars and never had any paint damage as long as I did the above.

If you do normal vinyls you can only use them once. some folks use a static vinyl but I have no experience with them.

you're going to have fun... driving.gif
drew365
The only thing I can add is tape all four sides of the magnetic, that way when you find yourself driving down the track in reverse they will stay on. You know how I know!
jimtab
Thanks all, that is about what I figured...Dan, I'm sure you're right I sure enjoyed the streets course at wcco5 last year, I don't think I'll be too fast, but I should be able to keep myself interested....so where does one get magnetic sheets?
DanT
QUOTE(jimtab @ Jun 3 2006, 08:51 PM) *

Thanks all, that is about what I figured...Dan, I'm sure you're right I sure enjoyed the streets course at wcco5 last year, I don't think I'll be too fast, but I should be able to keep myself interested....so where does one get magnetic sheets?

You can order it in 12x12 and 12x24 sheets online. then you can get any good graphics shop to make you some contrasting vinyl numbers.
Comes in various colors.

Or you can spray paint with a stencil directly onto the magnetic sheet.

If I were going to do magnetics again, I would do the stencil and spray paint the numbers onto the mag sheet. easiest and cheapest way to do it if you make your own number grahphics on your computer, cut them out and use them as stencils.

Many graphics shops can do the whole job...magnetic and numbers but that will cost you $$$....much cheaper to do it yourself.

Actually years ago I went to a shop that sold magnetic sheets and bulk vinyl Made some stencils by making up 11"+ numbers on my computer, cut them out and then transferred them to thin cardboard and then used that as a stencil to cut out vinyl numbers. Used those magnetics for 12+ seasons. Still have them and they still work...used them on at least 7 different street/track cars.
Trekkor
I got my magnetics sheets in a do-it-yourself business sign kit for car doors at Office Depot.

I had one painted to match my car, cut them smaller and put PCA class info on them.

KT
Trekkor
Current set-up.

Class mags.

The numbers before painted ones.

KT
jimtab
Thanks for everything again. Dan it was great to see you at the PH swap.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jun 2 2006, 06:49 PM) *

as long as the back of the magnetic is clean and the surface you are putting it on is clean.

you forgot the most important part. you'll need some *metal* under that shiny new paint. if it's got bondo, magnetics won't do you any good ...

ask me how i know ...
dry.gif Andy
DanT
Jim,
even if you have some bondo in the doors....try your sail panel....

otherwise if you tape the periphery like we talked about today...the magnetics will work fine....even if there is very little actual metal for it to stick to....

also still consider the static cling vinyl... if you do have thick bondo on the doors.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jun 4 2006, 04:51 PM) *

even if there is very little actual metal for it to stick to....

i guess i'm on collision course again ...

i dis-agree. i've tried a variety of different magnetics on both, the doors and sail-panels ...
the amount of bondo in my car was enough to *not* make them stick well at all. yes, taping all around them would probably have held them in place, at which point i simply omitted the magnetics and just used the tape itself to make the numbers.
easy weight saving ...

i went vinyl for exactly those reasons ...

just my 2 ounces of bondo ...
smile.gif Andy
DanT
No collision Andy...I think we are both actually agreeing....with too much bondo the mags wont stick unless you tape all the edges....
Still the reason for using the mags in that instance is you can make a very legible and neat set of numbers.

Yes the painters tape will work but it doesn't come out looking as nice in most instances...at least for me...

Many car colors do not contrast very well with the blue painters tape...especially when being used on cars on the big track where observers and turn workers are much further removed from the cars than at an AX...

and yes on my current car I use vinyl numbers and I like them very much except when driving on the street you tend to draw some extra attention....be it good or bad. biggrin.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 4 2006, 04:11 PM) *

the amount of bondo in my car was enough to *not* make them stick well at all.

I found out this problem after i had ordered magnetic numbers.

no biggie, i just placed them on the panel behind the doors and they stuck fine

Jim, you can get magnetic numbers from any local sign shop. call around, as they all price differently. I think i paid $30. I decided on numbers that were cut to shape rather than a square or a circle. but in hind sight, i think the squares and circles stick better. I did not lose a number at the track all weekend, but i did lose one coming home (forgot to take it off) at 90+.

I paid off the local PCA rep and got a single digit (#3) smile.gif
I wish i had paid her a little more and got #74 laugh.gif
turboman808
I just got static cling gumballs. Never tried them before I hope they don't go flying off.

I kinda like to use vinyl numbers since I can change them whenever and they are really cheap.
jimtab
Actually I have very little bondo in the doors, checked it with a mag today and that is ok...took the car to HPH for some maintainance stuff and have to fix the DS front suspension...bent a arm..and ball joints...shit, better to find out now tho....
sww914
On the subject of tape numbers, 3M makes a green masking tape that is sold to Autobody shops primarily. If the blue won't show up, green usually will.
It should be availabe at any Autobody supply store for about 5 bucks a roll.
It will come off easily within a week or so, If you leave it on longer that that, you've got problems.
jimtab
Yeah, we have it at our store, it was originally developed for laquer finishes.....hard to stick things to them when you take off the tape up comes some of the laquer....and it is light green but I want to look "semi-professional" just like I drive....
kdfoust
I switched to using contact paper or shelf liner paper based on a suggestion from someone on this board. It looks nice doesn't come off at speed and comes off easily when you're done. It's cheap as well, costing something like $7 for a 24" X 20 yd roll.

And it comes in woodgrain look... smoke.gif

Later,
Kevin

PS sorry for the non-14 digipic, don't have one handy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.