Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '74 Engine type
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Just started going thru the "74 1.8 I picked up about a month ago. Orginal FI is gone replaced with a single carb. Number stamped on top of engine is C011632. Looking at all of my reference books, this doesn't match up. Is this a VW bus engine? I bought the car because no rust. Mechanicals were secondary. Would have been nice to have the orignal. Can someone tell me what type of engine this is? Thanks.
Dave_Darling
Methinks you've missed part of the serial number. Check all the typical locations, including between the oil filler and the fan shroud, the upper-right side of the crankcase on the side, and one of the flat bosses on the top of the right crankcase half near the rear of the motor. (All directions are as the motor would be mounted in a 914, not a Bus.)

A good reference page: http://tunacan.net/t4/reference/case.htm

Are you sure the engine is a Type IV? Could it be a Bug engine, with the exhaust ports on the front and rear sides of the head instead of the bottom?

--DD
type47
if you got a 1.8L then an engine code of EC would indicate it's a 914 1.8L engine. could you have missed the E?
EJP914
Thanks for the replies. I will look at the other locations, but this # came off the top of the engine on the right rear toward center.
May have to dig thru the grime to find the missing "E"
Dave_Darling
That location is typically where the 1.8 engine number lives. So you probably have a 1.8 914 motor, which is quite appropriate. smile.gif

--DD
JeffBowlsby
Here:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.