Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I feel like a real 914club member again!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave_Darling
"Really, honey, it's to keep them jackstands from flying away!"

Got the car up on jackstands, starting the clutch replacement. Got most of the stuff disconnected, except of course for the transmission itself. That will probably be tomorrow.

Man, it's filthy on the bottom of that motor! I guess I have a little more oil leakage than I thought. Oh well...

Anyway, I'm hoping to get the car driving again by the end of the weekend. My attorney will appreciate having her garage space back again. wink.gif

--DD
Trekkor
Maybe you can make it up to another a/x in SR someday.

What clutch are you going to use?

KT
So.Cal.914
So it was the clutch, preasure plate dumped? Sucks when they die before there time.
JPB
Way to drive it BRO! If it dosen't wear out fast, ya ain't driving it well enough. If you don't use them jackstands, they might seaze up on ya too! Girls just don't know these things.

blink.gif Duh, it don't run without jackstands.
Britain Smith
Shit Dave, a clutch job should only take a couple of hours. That is if you don't have the flywheel resurfaced. I did mine by myself in an afternoon.

-Britain
Aaron Cox
word...

get out there dave smile.gif

AA
Dave_Darling
I work very slow, though. (I'm very slow about a lot of things!!) The trans and flywheel are off, now. It took a couple of hours, because I triple-checked everything. Good thing, too--I had forgotten the tranny ground strap, and it took me a little bit to figure out the right-top trans/engine bolt was threaded into a regular non-captive nut. I had to get a little creative with a wrench to hold the nut while I spun the bolt out...

I found out why my shifting had gone to s--t, too! The "castellated bushing" in the side-shifter console had fallen INTO the plastic cup that the shift head lives under. The retaining flange on the outside had evidently all broken off.

The pressure plate looks so-so. The disk has plenty of thickness left. There was a lot of crud around the edge of the flywheel, and oil started oozing from the flywheel bolts as soon as I started loosening them up. Methinks the flywheel O-ring has failed. The FW seal looks good, but I have another one I ordered with the clutch kit anyway.

No flywheel lock, though. I can't find mine right now, so I used the time-honored kludge of jamming a screwdriver into the flywheel teeth and bracing it against some of the other parts.

The flywheel looks OK but not great. There are some discolorations, but no blue patches like on Josh2's back when we pulled his flywheel. I'm not sure if I want to replace it or not. I don't have a flywheel (got the kit without), so it's a longer wait if I order one now. Or maybe I could pick one up at the swap meet tomorrow.... Hmmmm....

The sun shines right into my attorney's garage in the afternoon, which made it bloody hot in there. I'm re-hydrating indoors now, after getting cleaned up.

--DD
Aaron Cox
you could get it resurfaced if its within tolerances.....

come on dave, you wrote the book on 914's make us proud smile.gif
Britain Smith
Go talk to Jay (Machine Shop) and get it resurfaced.

-Britain
rcrgrl
QUOTE(JPB @ Jun 3 2006, 06:11 AM) *

Way to drive it BRO! If it dosen't wear out fast, ya ain't driving it well enough. If you don't use them jackstands, they might seaze up on ya too! Girls just don't know these things.

blink.gif Duh, it don't run without jackstands.

Hey - better make that MOST girls! i'll bet i own more jackstands than you. and they're bigger! biggrin.gif

sorry, dave, back on topic now....
Dave_Darling
Got some more done, but I got tired and dehydrated and had to quit for a while.

New clutch is in, transmission is in, axles are bolted back up. I have to find a couple of nuts and bolts from other things, and of course I have to re-torque the main motor mount bolts. (Don't want those coming off on the road!) Still a bunch of cleaning to do, and I want to replace the shift linkage bushings while everything is apart.

Frankly, there's not a whole lot left to do, but I'm confident that it will take a lot of time to do it... wink.gif

--DD
Dave_Darling
Trans is bolted the rest of the way in. New air cleaner is on. Motor mount bar is torqued, muffler is on. My esteemed co-workers sent me the wrong muffler gaskets, so I'm reusing the old ones. OOPS! I may get the right ones in there after I hit up my stash of spares, which is not located where the car currently is. Clutch and throttle cables are on.

I need to hook up the starter and the backup light switch. I need to clean up the shift linkage and at least renew the two bushings at the tail end of it. I need to re-assemble the linkage, and adjust the clutch.

And, of course, lower the car down off the jack-stands.

I could have gotten that done tonight, but I had to stop work and get cleaned up to make dinner for My Attorney. (What do you mean, "she has me well trained?" wink.gif )

I should be adjusting the shift linkage tomorrow! smile.gif

--DD
Jenny
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 5 2006, 07:30 PM) *

but I had to stop work and get cleaned up to make dinner for My Attorney. (What do you mean, "she has me well trained?" wink.gif )
--DD

Not well trained enough, if dinner's not made by 7:30! wink.gif

Jen
Dave_Darling
The post was made after we had eaten and she had headed out. (How else do you think I had time to post on the BBS? wink.gif )

--DD
Jenny
whip[1].gif biggrin.gif

Jen
ClayPerrine
Welcome to the world of the whipped...... spank.gif

If you are doing all that, you are a goner. Just marry the girl and get it over with.
2-OH!
Hey Dave, Did you get the parts kit from GPR ???

2-OH!

magaoidh
I can hardly wait until I get my first 914 and put it up on jackstands!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 6 2006, 09:58 AM) *

If you are doing all that, you are a goner. Just marry the girl and get it over with.

No comment. smile.gif

--DD
Katmanken
Uh Oh.....

No comment..... blink.gif

By the way, is cooking billable hours? happy11.gif

Ken
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 6 2006, 07:32 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 6 2006, 09:58 AM) *

No comment. smile.gif

--DD

Oh... I see how it is.. You are doing your imitation of a politician... chairfall.gif

And on the advise of your "attorney" no doubt.

Of course, everyone knows that "no comment" means... "Yes, I am going to, but I refuse to admit it in public!". poke.gif

Do we get invites to the wedding???? confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
I always forget something when I'm putting a car back together. This time it was the battery (+) cable. Oops.

I'm lucky I didn't burn the whole damn car down!

I'll be bolting it back together tonight after work. Rats, and I thought I was done.

--DD
(Sorry, Clay--no comment on your questions.)
maf914
QUOTE(kwales @ Jun 6 2006, 04:38 PM) *

By the way, is cooking billable hours? happy11.gif

Good question. The answer? It depends. If the client (DD) is cooking the answer is no. If the attorney is cooking the answer is yes and the client (once again, DD) will be billed. laugh.gif
tdgray
Hopefully the payment for services rendered is a barter system

I'll sratch your... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.