Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power washing the engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JPB
I will have to get this beast cleaned under the engine since the beather tubes blew oil all over the engine for the past umpteen years. The last owner must have driven the hell out of it and I guess this could be a potential fire hassard. Do I heat up the engine, cover the alternator, use Gunk, thinners, power wash, clean it when its cold? I need experienced veterans to give me a fool proof approach to do this correctly. What say you!

blink.gif Duhhma use hot wadder?
Joe Bob
There's been a few degreasing threads of late...might wanna search...but when I pulled my drive train for the trans rebuild, I used purple stuff from FLAPS, brake cleaner, a brush and water blaster......

It's A LOT easier when you have it on an engine stand.
rhodyguy
take $10 worth of quarters to your local spray-n-wash and get the bulk of it off. carry some WATER DISPLACEMENT 40 to spray in the dist cap if it won't start. wear your rain gear.

k
Joe Bob
Be careful about the spray and wash....they may not allow degreasing. Depends on how anal the local enviro weenies are.....
rhodyguy
at my local one you can clean engine compartments, 4x4s that have been out mudding, dirt bikes,...but NO PARTS CLEANING!! i've been busted before. i go at 6am.

k
JPB
Ahhh, words of wisdom and well noted. I guess a jack would give my motives away I guess and a yellow rainsuit will be worn, good idea.
Mark Henry
Cover any openings with a plastic bag and also wrap up the dizzy. Don't go crazy around the oil fill cap, etc...
Do it cold.

Start the car right away and drive it a good 15min.
Aaron Cox
i would also say do an oil change ASAP as water always makes it into the case
JPB
Yes, white frothy oil is not a good engine lubricator, good advice!

popcorn[1].gif Kinda sounds like a day job from a spray job..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.