Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riviera Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nick mironov
I have a set of Bug offset Riviera wheels. I measure about 6-1/2 inches outside width. I can't imagine that the rim thickness is more than 1/8", so the inside bead dimension must be about 6 to 6-1/4" inches, or so. I have seen specifications that state that Riviera's are only 5-1/2 inches wide. Were Rivieras made in different widths?

Also, I read on Pelican Parts tech that they are not to be auto-crossed, but the article did not say why. Is there some inherent flaw/weakness with Rivieras?

I assume I can get a 205 tire mounted on the Rivieras. Is it safe to mount a 215? I have fender flares that can accomodate the width/offset (not shown in the picture).
Aaron Cox
rivs are 5.5" iirc.... only one width as far as i know....

they are cast wheels, and tend to crack....

205 is a stretch for a 5.5, and any handling you gain with the 205 is mitigated by the ginormously angled sidewalls.... stick to a 195 please. if you want 205's go to a 6" or 7" rim....

so no. a 215 is out of the question... and in my opinion, a 205 is also too big...

get real rims to fill out the fender
Brando
I have a set of Rivs (thanks again MattR!) that I've been using for over a year. On my second set of tires. First were 195/65/15s for cruising, did OK at the Autocross, rubbed in the back. Now I'm running 195/55/15s for fun driving. I gotta keep it at about 4k to run with freeway traffic, but it makes good for the autocross.

You can autocross on rivs. you just have to consider that if you smack the wheel on a solid obstruction, you're going to do alot more damage than to just the wheel. They are cast, so instead of bending like forged alloys (fuchs) they crack and/or shatter. They're also heavier than forged alloys. The rivs are supposedly even heavier than some stamped steel wheels -- but I don't know exactly on that one.
Joe Bob
The club has a special order 15x7 inch steel chrome wheel with the CORRECT offset available.

www.jbugs.com

You have to call, it's NOT on the website. Get the RIGHT wheel and you can use a 205 or a 215....stop using 30 year dealer installed aftermarket VW crap.
Brando
These are what I'm going for, when I have the money for those + tires.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.