Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I just bought 914-6 #0200 or Achieving your goals!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VintageExcellence
He guys, I am a long time 914 guy and I believe in 914-6 cars more than anything. Well I have a 73 914-6 conversion with a 250hp 3.2 Motronic engine and I just bought something that will help me sleep better and not be knocked buy the true -6 crowd. I bought 914.043.0200 last week out of Houston TX for $9000. So in the next few months I will be dissasembling and painting the car in order to switch my current engine and running gear over to the real -6. piratenanner.gif

The big question now... to flare or not to flare. Maybe I should put fiberglass flares and 916 bumpers on it!!! Wait... no I am not a dumbass so I can't do that. Besides chrome bumpers are so damn cool. I am seriously considering steel flares. And would like to know of someone in Southern California that can install them properly.

Info on my 1970 914-6 #200: It is a very original car bought for $9000. It has been sitting since 1977 and it has 72k original miles on it. It need a complete tear down and restoration. A majority of parts on my 914-6 conversion are actual 914-6 parts so the restoration will consist of paint and salvage of the original 914-6 and the swaping of all good parts over from the conversion car.

I can post pictures tomorrow for you guys to see.
Aaron Cox
is this the blue one from tex??

nice score....

have you thought about subtle flares? to fit 7's or 8's and keep it looking like a narrow body smile.gif

show us some pics
olav
Welcome to the elite club of factory six owners. w00t.gif

What color is it.

Get pics fast!

P.S. How did you get 250 hp out of your 3.2?
Eric_Shea
If that's the blue one it might be a good steel flare candidate. As far as -6's go though... I think it best to leave the real ones as real as they came.

Have you thought of that option since you already have a big -6 conversion?

It's good to hear you'll be tearing it down. Again, if it's the car I'm thinking of, it needs an owner like you wink.gif

Good luck with your new -6! smilie_pokal.gif
So.Cal.914
A factory SIX, how bad is that. I am with you I would want to put in the big motor

and flairs even make it a GT, but these guys would talk me out of it. And they

would be right. But it is your car and you should do what will make you happy,

but sence you already have a 73 six build that into a GT clone. The two parked

next to each other at the car shows would be the kind.
Nor.Cal.914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 3 2006, 05:40 PM) *

have you thought about subtle flares? to fit 7's or 8's and keep it looking like a narrow body smile.gif

Hey Aaron can you show me pics of these "subtle" flares you're talking about. I may need to consider doing this soon driving.gif Thanks
-Chris
dekman
Congratulations!!!! clap56.gif Purist = no flares. Me = GT flares cause they look COOL! Mine is a metal up resto w/ GT flares, 3.0L/46 webers in tangerine. (#1328). Post pic's.....soon. robert d.
914MF
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif Hi.
Gustl
first of all - Congratulations to the real /6 clap56.gif

my opinion:
due to the fact that you already have a fun-car (the conversion) and your new /6 is such an original car, I'd restore it to stock specification - don't flare it and don't put a big engine in it - keep it as original as possible
I mean, every second car is a flared strong engine fun car, but how many original stock sixes are still alive?
and you already have your fun-car

but hey, this is only my opinion ...

@ all - here are some pics wink.gif

markb

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 4 2006, 12:28 AM) *

first of all - Congratulations to the real /6 clap56.gif

my opinion:
due to the fact that you already have a fun-car (the conversion) and your new /6 is such an original car, I'd restore it to stock specification - don't flare it and don't put a big engine in it - keep it as original as possible
I mean, every second car is a flared strong engine fun car, but how many original stock sixes are still alive?
and you already have your fun-car

but hey, this is only my opinion ...

@ all - here are some pics wink.gif

agree.gif
Bleyseng
agree.gif

Stock is cool with a 3.2 engine
Gint
Congratulations. I kinda agree with Wolfgang also.

But it's your car.
Bleyseng
Actually, it looks alot like #4....no hood! av-943.gif
Aaron Cox
tend to agre...

keep it stock. there arent many around
brp914
I support keeping your new -6 original. It would be a shame if restoring your new -6 results in scrapping an otherwise good car just cuz it doesn't have the magic vin. Speaking from my own experience, a restored factory 6 will be a seldom used car. Also, the loss in resale value is proportional to the amount spent in restoration. You'll end up with a real predicament with 2 6's though.
Eric_Shea
You'll end up with a real predicament with 2 6's though.

Yeah like... which one should I drive today? lol3.gif
carr914
Congrats, I saw that on the bird board and discussed it here. I think you have a deal there. If it were mine, I would find original metal flares( not AA, just cause I hate those bastards), I would pull the original motor, put it on a stand next to the car, then put in 200+ hp motor to play. Everything else I would keep stock, just because it is #200 and there aren't that many survivors ahead of you.

T.C.
brp914
beware the slippery slope. flares + rockers + install + paint + wheels + tires. Now, too much body flex, not enuf brakes, suspension, etc, etc...just decide how much you're willing to lose ahead of time on a car that prolly wont get much use. He'll have his hands full (and pockets emptied) just taking care of the basics.
rickyhgarcia
I had an eye on this car...just did not move fast enough.

Discussed what to do to it a little with Eric.

I wanted to do a hybrid 914-6 / 914-6 GT restoration, but with original parts. After all, 914-6 GT parts were available from Porsche to 914-6 customers in the early 70´s...so I do not consider this molesting a stock -6.

I would go with chassis stiffening kit, original steel flares, 100 liters gas tank, original front oil cooler with correct hardware, 911S front calipers, 914-6 GT rear calipers (i.e. for vented discs) and suspension upgrades for the wider track and heavier tires. Some of these parts are difficult to find, but not impossible.

As for engine, I would to a period correct engine. Eric recommended a 67 S engine with aluminum case because it can grow. I would prefer a 72 or 73 S engine which was the strongest stock non turbo Porsche engine until the arrival of the SC in 78.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 4 2006, 06:16 AM) *

Congratulations. I kinda agree with Wolfgang also.

But it's your car.

welcome.png agree.gif
greg.treadway
biggrin.gif
There is certainly no bigger GT fan than myself, but I urge originality. It would hurt me to see you cut into that good of a 6 car. But I'll still watch to see what you do. Good luck on it.

popcorn[1].gif
Gustl
QUOTE(rickyhgarcia @ Jun 5 2006, 05:23 AM) *

... 100 liters gas tank, ... Some of these parts are difficult to find, but not impossible.

could you please tell me where to find a 100 L gas tank confused24.gif

I'd buy one ... w00t.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
DEC
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 4 2006, 10:55 PM) *

QUOTE(rickyhgarcia @ Jun 5 2006, 05:23 AM) *

... 100 liters gas tank, ... Some of these parts are difficult to find, but not impossible.

could you please tell me where to find a 100 L gas tank confused24.gif

I'd buy one ... w00t.gif

wavey.gif Gustl

agree.gif

its easier to find a needle in a haycock boldblue.gif
Brad Roberts
I arranged and sold Armando his 100L NEW cell. It had never been exposed to fuel!!

B
rickyhgarcia
In Armando´s web site, he mentions a shop in Switzerland...Dante Designs...that makes a perfect reproduction of the original tank.

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/9146_gt_100_li...el_tank_replica

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/design_by_dant...t_reproductions
WRX914
Dana from Renegade did mine. Steel flares butt welded... the only way to do it (IMO),

VintageExcellence
Update... always lots to think of when considering direction on a project. I am in the middle of working out the bugs in my 1973 914-6 Conversion 3.2. Like most of us Porsche geeks I just bought another car... a 1970 911S. I am going to put the factory 914-6 into storage with the 911S. Clean out my garage space and pepare to completly dissasemble the 914-6 and put it on a rotisserie.

I don't think I will do flares or cut anything on the 914-6. I am leaning toward making it appear stock minus suspension and 15x7 fuchs.

For an engine I am thinking of a 2.5 or 2.8 period correct MFI engine.

The idea would be Period correct, stock appearance, wild factory mods. I need to get pictures to post, I am being lazy.
GeorgeRud
I was lucky enough to find an original 914-6 (#611) in a barn in central Illinois in 1977, and have owned (cared for?) it ever since. It's been kept mostly original, and I have all the parts that have been changed.

As most of you, I've always loved the GT look, so I also found a nice 914, and proceeded to do all the tricks that I wanted to do on the 914-6 on that car. This way, I have no rules and can do what I want. So far, 2.7 conversion, 915 Vellios transmission, steel flares, Carrera front brakes, 7 & 8x15 Fuchs, etc.. Yeah, I painted them the same Canary yellow color, so I can go down to the garage and choose which one to take out for exercise that day.

Good choice on the original 6, and you'll enjoy the early 911 in the future. Pick these things up now, they're getting rare and hard to find nice ones.

When do we start the 914 R Gruppe?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.