Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finished my 24 hour 916/GT engine lid . . .
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914-8
Finished my GT (or, on my car, 916!) engine cover.

Came out nice.

Here"s the starting point yesterday:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=53090

This morning I finished the final fitting and painted it up. Used satin for the frame, and gloss for the grille.

IPB Image

And installed it:

IPB Image

As some of you know, with a V8, you have to cut off the crossmember under the decklid to clear the air cleaner. (Unless your SBC sits a lot lower in the car than mine, or you have some kind of ultra low air cleaner maybe).

Plus, the crossmember is ugly and I don't think the GT/916 lid used it.

Some of you asked about getting the lid to sit straight. I looked at the pics of the bottom of the GT lid in Brett Johnson's book, and it doesn't have the crossmember, and it uses the torsion spring setup. They may have reinforced the lid in some way that isn't visible? But even so, the stock springs bend it unevenly. I think because the latch is not in the center of the lid.

I assume the factory used lighter tension springs to solve the problem, because the springs for the heavy factory setup (the extra metal and the rain guard are surprisingly heavy!) are way too hard.

So I retensioned the springs using heat and some twisting. I got it to a point where the springs provide maximum lift without tweaking the lid. It's not a perfect solution, because the springs don't hold the lid all the way up, but it's ok. No one ever said being cool would be easy!

Lid at half mast:

IPB Image

I think if one really spent some time, you could tweak the springs to get a bit more lift. You'd have to make one side stiffer than the other, to compensate for the offset latch. (Make the driver's side stiffer than the passenger's side). That would be pretty trick. Would take a lot of experimenting, though. I'll try it out later.
Nor.Cal.914
Wow dude let me tell you, straight up, your car is one of the sickest 914's I've ever seen. F**king beautiful man pray.gif Oh and good work on that engine grill thumb3d.gif Looks sick! Thanks
-Chris
djm914-6
Nice job!

I'd like to make another attempt at doing a GT lid. My last one was ok to the point where I left it I guess. I wonder who bought it and if they finished it?
914-8
After studying the torsion system more, the placement of the latch, etc. to figure out how to make the lid sit straight AND get full lift, I figured it out.

An easy, elegant solution, that makes your car faster, too!

Simply delete the passenger's side torsion spring. The driver's side alone is strong enough to fully lift the lightened lid, and given the placement of the latch and the placement of that torsion spring, it allows you to adjust the latch and rubber stops to get a flat, even fit.

And, the car is a few ounces lighter, too!

Liftoff!

IPB Image
IPB Image
Aaron Cox
Killer!

any chance you would finish the one i started? LOL
Rand
Simply delete the passenger's side torsion spring.

Briliant! (ting!)

Nice work. Nice car. Very damn nice car. Wish I could fast-forward mine to where yours is.
RON S.
QUOTE(914-8 @ Jun 4 2006, 06:27 PM) *

After studying the torsion system more, the placement of the latch, etc. to figure out how to make the lid sit straight AND get full lift, I figured it out.

An easy, elegant solution, that makes your car faster, too!

Simply delete the passenger's side torsion spring. The driver's side alone is strong enough to fully lift the lightened lid, and given the placement of the latch and the placement of that torsion spring, it allows you to adjust the latch and rubber stops to get a flat, even fit.

And, the car is a few ounces lighter, too!

Liftoff!

IPB Image
IPB Image

Great job, clap56.gif clap56.gif

I did mine a couple years ago,and yeah I made the mistake of pulling the lid release w/o thinking.
I left my springs alone,I just mentally remind myself to hold my hand on the lid when I pull the release. biggrin.gif

Ron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.