Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Megasquirt questions, timing module...pulling the CB Performance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
So like the title says....I'm pulling the CB Performance EMS and replacing it with the MS. I find that there is a lead for timing mods but I don't see and adjustments...I lalso find that MPS was disconnected/malfunctioning which is the reason for my full rich conditions.....

Anyways, is there a timiing management module that will plug into the MS box and allow adjustments to the 009 dizzy I have or should I just use the centifugal advance that's in it...
Mark Henry
Is this a type 1 turbo engine? If it is, go over to the forced induction forum on the STF. They can help you out.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=3
Joe Bob
Thanks....

Well it's in and running after two hours of tracing down wires and do the soldering connections....still running rich, better than the former EMS supplied from Delco...didn't someone say the CB Performance kit was adpated from a GEO FI managment system?

Anyways, I need to get a three wire 02 sensor in and then adjust it with the input the sensor gives the program. Sound files and numbers to follow....tomorrow is another day. Install the sensor, clean up the wiring loom with shrinkwrpa and zip ties, hard mount the boxes on the fire wall and then take a cruise under load and do final adjustments....
lapuwali
The latest MS will control ignition advance with a locked distributor. You need the v3.0 setup (note: MS1 and MS2 are different processors, v3.0 is the board rev).

If you want real tuning, don't use a 3-wire O2 sensor (which is narrowband). Use a wideband setup from one of several vendors. The Innovate LC-1 is easy to integrate with MS, and you can set up the MS to "target" any AFR you like, and can even set it up so it goes for a rich AFR at WOT and a leaner AFR at cruise.
Joe Bob
Do you know off the top of your head if the version 2 be upgraded to v3?
lapuwali
No, it can't. It's an entirely different board. They moved a lot of stuff around, went from a 2-layer to a 4-layer board, and lined up all of the stuff that requires a heatsink to the top of the board where you can have one long strip of Al acting as the heatsink. They also added the flyback circuit (previously an add-on) so you can run low impedence injectors w/o an additional board or external resistors, and they added the ignition driver on board. They also substantially improved the tach input circuit, curing a lot of problems people had previously.

You CAN drive ignition with a 2.2 (or even a 1.0) board, but you have to use an external module (GM HEI or the equivalent Bosch part, usually), and you have to hack on the board a bit.
Joe Bob
Arrrghh, don't know about you but I can't get used to reading on a screen. I have to print the stuff out.

When working on the install the diagrams I thought they were pretty clear that I should use a three wire 02 sensor. Also the CB EMS has an 009 and an HEI....which is still on the motor.

I guess that's my lunch assignment is to go over th e diagrams again. it's hell getting old and having to read with big print even AFTER Lasik.
DNHunt
Mike

As James said you will need to ck down the dizzy and provide a module or build a coil driver circuit. You may need to do a mod to the ignition circuit on the board and you may need to change the code.

Here's a bunch of info on MS Extra with a dizzy. It'll take some studying.

I did EDIS but it takes a trigger wheel. You might be able to mount one on the pulley for the Alt belt.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.