Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spare tire stain in front Trunk(boot, if you wish)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
dead horse.gif
OK, I had my front trunk resprayed years ago to rid it of the stain from the spare tire. Stupid me, I THOUGHT that would be the end of it. Now it's back & I can't get rid of it! Even the Zone 1 concours winner has it (see earlier thread). Yeah, I should have put somehting between the tire & the paint, but I didn't. Now how can I get rid of it!

Why does it do this? I know there or engineers out there -splain it to me & PLEASE tell me I can be rid of it. Really ruins a pristine trunk.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Funny you should bring that up, as I was just wondering the same thing yesterday as I was cleaning the f & r trunk compartments. I've wrestled with this before and nothing I've tried to date has even begun to remove the tire(rubber) mark on the bottom of the f. trunk. Very early on during my stewardship of this car('70/4), there were small felt pads glued in the front trunk wheel well that the tire rested upon. Age gave up the glue, and thinking these now loose pads were a nuisance, I wisely discarded them. sad.gif Anyway, the stains have persisted to this day, and I figure that after all these years, the rubber and paint molecules have permanently bonded.
dcheek
My car was the Zone I winner this year and yes it has the stain. I don't know but I consider that part of the "patina" of an original car. Just like the scrapes on the striker plates on the door latches or stone chips on the front hood. If it really bothers you try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser available in any supermarket. This little number is amazing. I have never tryed it on this problem myself for the above mentioned reason but its worth a try. MAKE SURE YOU DO A VERY SMALL SECTION AS IT MIGHT ADVERSELY EFFECT THE PAINT FINISH!!!!!!!

Please report back to the forum with your results. Good Luck!

Dave
tod914
I used a zep citrus dregreaser (home depot) and a plastic scrub brush... but you have to work quick and have a hose and towels ready. You dont want that drying on the paint! It cleaned up all the nooks and crannies inside the seam sealer too!!! Used a toothbrush on that with the zep.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dcheek @ Jun 5 2006, 02:03 PM) *

My car was the Zone I winner this year and yes it has the stain. I don't know but I consider that part of the "patina" of an original car. Just like the scrapes on the striker plates on the door latches or stone chips on the front hood. If it really bothers you try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser available in any supermarket. This little number is amazing. I have never tryed it on this problem myself for the above mentioned reason but its worth a try. MAKE SURE YOU DO A VERY SMALL SECTION AS IT MIGHT ADVERSELY EFFECT THE PAINT FINISH!!!!!!!

Dave

I've used the Mr. Clean thing for household purposes & it really does a job on marks on a wall, but......it also leaves a "clean" spot because of the imbedded abrasives. Still, it might be worth a try if used cautiously. I'll be the guinea pig & let you know. Thanks for the idea (I think).
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 5 2006, 06:25 AM) *

Funny you should bring that up, as I was just wondering the same thing yesterday as I was cleaning the f & r trunk compartments. I've wrestled with this before and nothing I've tried to date has even begun to remove the tire(rubber) mark on the bottom of the f. trunk. Very early on during my stewardship of this car('70/4), there were small felt pads glued in the front trunk wheel well that the tire rested upon. Age gave up the glue, and thinking these now loose pads were a nuisance, I wisely discarded them. sad.gif Anyway, the stains have persisted to this day, and I figure that after all these years, the rubber and paint molecules have permanently bonded.

Paul,
You jogged a very old memory! I think you may be right. Forgotten about it, but I also seem to remember those felt strips. Gotta check my parts manual & see if they show.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dcheek @ Jun 5 2006, 02:03 PM) *

Dave

biggrin.gif
Dave! Just tried it! Works great - stain gone! Great idea, just use very little pressure - just let it do it's job. Fantastic (I mean Mr, Clean!).

Now someone with a much older stain should try it. My stains were only 25 years old.
dcheek
Pat,
Glad it worked out for you. It really is "magic"

Dave
1970 Neun vierzehn
Pat & Dave,

Mr. Clean & his eraser and I worked on my 36 year old tire stains yesterday. NO JOY! Wax hasn't worked, nor has rubbing compound or the "magic eraser". I'm gonna try a citrus cleaner next, but I'm not holding much hope for the stain's removal with that either.
tod914
Give the zep from home depot a try.. it's cheap. Also some blue magic mixed in with some paint cleaner like mothers might do it too. Think I used that combo to get mine out.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 10 2006, 11:31 AM) *

Pat & Dave,

Mr. Clean & his eraser and I worked on my 36 year old tire stains yesterday. NO JOY! Wax hasn't worked, nor has rubbing compound or the "magic eraser". I'm gonna try a citrus cleaner next, but I'm not holding much hope for the stain's removal with that either.

Sorry, I have no expalantion why it would work on RED cars (maybe that's it - the color) and not your YELLOW car! Could it be that the gods don't....never mind, I'll get flamed. Seriously, I don't get it - worked fine on mine.

I will say this - before I had the bottom of my trunk resprayed in '78, I couldn't get that stiff out. Tried rubbing compound & it got some out but cleared the paint off in the process. Why did something this simple work now _ ?????

You're having a new belly pan put in anyway, why not just repaint the bottom & get rid of it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.