Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Am I missing hoses?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
terrymason
Here's a shot of my engine bay - having some trouble getting my car to idle. I noticed what looks like missing hoses (blue and yellow circles), and was wondering if you guys could tell me where they should go.
Also, the red circle - what exactly is that (fuseable link?)

IPB Image
jd74914
The one to the far right should go to the carbon canister, I'm not sure about the left one
terrymason
Thanks, makes sense when I look at this now:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...4_17FI_diag.htm

If the canister is missing, would that be a big vacum leak? Think I should just plug the port?
Dave_Darling
The fitting on the fan shroud gets hooked up to one of the plastic lines running through the driver's rocker panel up to the charcoal cannister. The fitting on the air cleaner gets hooked to the other hose going through the rocker panel, which goes to the other side of the cannister.

You can plug both ports if you like. The fan shroud one is unimportant; the air cleaner one might (not sure) be in the "filtered air" space, which means it's best to plug it with something (either the correct hose or something else) to avoid getting dirt in.

The electrical connection is just that--it's two one-wire plugs, where the heater blower fan plugs into the car's wiring harness. (I think... At least, that's what it looks like from here!) Should be, I believe, one green wire and one brown wire.

--DD
terrymason
Actually, it appears that I can just hook the two together, and just bypass the charcol canister totally... Not sure what kind of effect that would have though
jd74914
I wouldn't hook the 2 together. If the left one is in the clean air loop that would be a bad thing. I would just plug them.
Dave_Darling
It would take unfiltered air from your cooling fan and push it into the "filtered air" section of the intake. Not a good idea, IMHO.

There is no vacuum leak, as everything would be connected "upstream" of the throttle body. You can only have a vacuum leak "downstream" of the TB on a 1.7 or 2.0 car (while the 1.8s have vacc leaks everywhere "downstream" of the air flow meter).

Plug the ports, or find the charcoal cannister stuff and plug it together correctly, IMHO.

--DD
terrymason
Thanks a bunch for the help!
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 4 2006, 07:47 PM) *

The electrical connection is just that--it's two one-wire plugs, where the heater blower fan plugs into the car's wiring harness. (I think... At least, that's what it looks like from here!) Should be, I believe, one green wire and one brown wire.

--DD

Dave is right . It is just a elect. connector for the heater blower, no fusable link.
Cap'n Krusty
Why would you ever want to disconnect the carbon cannister? The Cap'n
terrymason
Cap'n Krusty:
This is a new to me car that came in it's current condition. Alot of rust work has been done - I haven't taken the time to look yet, but I'm going to guess there are no lines to the front through the rocker panels (they fixed the rust with non-original metal). I would probably need to run lines to the front to make it work (not out of the question, but not high on my priority list either).

Having said that, I'm not entirely sure what the charcol cannister does, or the disadvantages of having it removed.

So.Cal.914
That's what I thought, but I don't seem to be able to pull the connector apart. I'd like to test the motor by hooking it straight to 12v and see if it works, and was surprised that this "connector" could not be unplugged. If there is no downside, I'm going to remove it and replace it with a modern connector.

Thanks guys!!
SLITS
The (activated) charcoal canister traps raw fuel fumes from the tank. When running, air is pushed thru the canister to purge the fuel fumes and sucked into the air cleaner to be burnt by the engine....an emission thingy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.