Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: timing bar/arc
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
tod914
When I first got my 75, it had this timing bar/indicator by the fan shroud somewhere. It's white with a red mark at 27 degrees. Was this original to the car? When I had the car serviced after I first picked it up, the mechanic removed that along with the air pump system. Does anyone know where this timeing mark indicator mounts?
JeffBowlsby
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
tod914
Here you go. been trying to see where it mounts.. none of the screw/bolts on the shroud seem to accomodate both fittings.

Click to view attachment
tod914
Ok Jeff, its posted
JeffBowlsby
I have never seen anything like that before, but I have not seen everything. Anyone else? I am not even sure where it would mount for it to be useful, maybe on the front facing shroud by the fan cage?
tod914
I was thinking either the zero mark or the 27 mark is aligned with the hole in the top of the fan shroud/timing mark. but i cant seem to find a spot for both holes to mount too. maybe ill put back on some of the old airpump brackets and see if that works better for mounting it.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 5 2006, 03:14 PM) *

I have never seen anything like that before, but I have not seen everything. Anyone else? I am not even sure where it would mount for it to be useful, maybe on the front facing shroud by the fan cage?

Wow, it'd b a BIG help, but I've never seen one of these either! How the heck would it mount? Wouldn't want it to be off even a half degree.
RustyWa
My '75 had one as well. I thought I had a picture of it, but can't seem to find it. If you do a search in the garage, you might be able to find my post about it.

If you are looking in the engine bay, it is located on the passenger side of the impeller opening. Can't remember if it was on the upper half or lower half. There was another timing mark on the outer pulley ring. It didn't make it any easier to time the car as you needed a mirror to see it.
RustyWa
I found the link, it was over at Pelican. The photo was a close up on my old cheapy camera, but you can see the mark on the alternator belt "ring".

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....&threadid=69581
tod914
Thanks Rusty, was trying to figure out where it went. When we tried to time it when I first got it, the mechanic had to set the timing mark. Only indicator was top dead center "0". I'll see if I can figure out how its attached now.
tod914
Still an enigma.. dont see any attachments points.. Do you recall where it mounted to by chance?
RustyWa
I think it attaches to these points in the following way... My photo editing skills are not as good as others. biggrin.gif
RustyWa
The posts it attaches to...

tod914
Excellent now I see how the coil mounts to the shroud as well. Thanks!
RustyWa
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 10 2006, 06:45 PM) *

Excellent now I see how the coil mounts to the shroud as well. Thanks!

My car had the coil on the shroud as well. It made the stock Beru coil wire kind of tight, but it did fit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.