Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Color of Engine Lid Rubber Stop Holders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
AvalonFal
Here's a couple of obscure ?'s. What's the correct color of the sheet metal bracket where the engine lid rubber stops screw into next to the side grilles? The vertical section of the bracket is body color, but what about the flat section where the rubber stops are? My '74 has the flats painted black, but is that correct? Or should they be body color?

How about the sheet metal under the engine lid side grilles? Black or body color??
BS Chairman
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Jun 5 2006, 08:08 AM) *

Here's a couple of obscure ?'s. What's the correct color of the sheet metal bracket where the engine lid rubber stops screw into next to the side grilles? The vertical section of the bracket is body color, but what about the flat section where the rubber stops are? My '74 has the flats painted black, but is that correct? Or should they be body color?

How about the sheet metal under the engine lid side grilles? Black or body color??

Hi AvalonFal, I believe that only the face is painted flat black. I may be wrong but thats how its been all the 914s that I have owned. Also the underside of engine lid should be body color if tray was removed.
Gary
tod914
Maybe someone can chime in to confirm what BS said, but i dont think its flat black.. more like satin black. paint fades after 30 years. try to buff and wax it and see if it is still flat. my shined up after i did that. This is before. I wanted to refinish the grill but i cant get those back clips to budge :S guess i resort to touch up. When i got in from underneath the grill, the dull looking black looked more satin after cleaning.

Click to view attachment
dcheek
AvalonFal,
See post "1976 914 Zone I Winner" in the Concours section of the 914 Club Forum. These are pictures of my original 23800 mile car. There are some good shots of the engine compartment that might answer your questions. If you want you can stop by my house (I live in Westfield NJ) to take a look. Just E mail me at dmcdavey@aol.com

David Cheek
tod914
So Dave whats the consensous, flat or satin?
dcheek
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 5 2006, 01:44 PM) *

Tod,
Its definitely satin not flat. I would use Masury Satin Black. I still have some left over from years ago. Masury is no longer in business or at least they don't make satin black anymore. Paterek has found a suitable substitute that he uses on 356 restorations. I've seen it and it looks correct.

Dave
AvalonFal
Thanks everyone for your replies. Satin black it will be.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 5 2006, 01:44 PM) *

Stin black - but don't put too much polish on it or you'll have gloss black - don't ask me how I know!
1970 Neun vierzehn
As most members on this particular Forum are aware, the 914 manufacturing process was an ongoing design, material and construction evolution. The color of my '70/4 engine lid rubber stop holders is (original) body color(yellow). So continuing the wealth of information that we are slowly accumulating here, we should always add the caveat for what applies to particular model years, trim levels, engine displacement, and maybe even color!
TJB/914
Mr. 1970 neunVierzehn

Now, now the councours police have made it official "it's satin black". I would question anyone (yor car) having body color. I would believe (100%) somewhere in it's life it came from the factory with satin black paint. If I were judging your 914 I would nick you a point or two.

I know this is supposed to be fun, but the concourse police say "satin black". Do we have a chisel in stone smilie???

Tom
dcheek
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 6 2006, 08:17 AM) *

As most members on this particular Forum are aware, the 914 manufacturing process was an ongoing design, material and construction evolution. The color of my '70/4 engine lid rubber stop holders is (original) body color(yellow). So continuing the wealth of information that we are slowly accumulating here, we should always add the caveat for what applies to particular model years, trim levels, engine displacement, and maybe even color!

You are absolutely correct. As with vintage VW's there are continuous production changes throughout the entire product cycle. So I should make it clear that any questions pertaining to originality that I answer are for the 1976 914 model year only. Owners of other years can chime in with what they know. Sorry for the oversight.

Tom,
As for the "Concours Police" comment I can only say that the question was posted and I answered it based on what I know. For all I care the owner can paint it dayglow orange. It's his car, his decision and he can do what ever he wants. I make absolutely no judgement about how someone owns, maintains, modifies his or her car. My intention is to help a fellow enthusiast. As far as I'm concerned the owner is the "Policeman" of their own car.

Dave
TJB/914
Dave,

What did I say to get your blood pressure up. Sheesh, it's a tough crowd today. I was only trying to say this is a councours forum and the correct answer is satin black. Of course we want your opinion & this answer was for you when you judge at the concours. How about a group hug pray.gif

Tom
dcheek
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 6 2006, 12:41 PM) *

Dave,

What did I say to get your blood pressure up. Sheesh, it's a tough crowd today. I was only trying to say this is a councours forum and the correct answer is satin black. Of course we want your opinion & this answer was for you when you judge at the concours. How about a group hug pray.gif

Tom

Tom,
No offense taken. Just thought you and others would want to know where I'm coming from. Hug accepted and given.

Dave
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 6 2006, 12:41 PM) *

Dave,

Tom

av-943.gif

Tom,
You've had a bad week here! Maybe time for some sensitivity training (kidding!).
Please folks, sensitize! And...do NOT forget - we ARE the ""concours police", undt, ve haff spies efferyvhere!
Rusty
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 5 2006, 08:03 PM) *

Maybe someone can chime in to confirm what BS said, but i dont think its flat black.. more like satin black. paint fades after 30 years. try to buff and wax it and see if it is still flat. my shined up after i did that. This is before. I wanted to refinish the grill but i cant get those back clips to budge :S guess i resort to touch up. When i got in from underneath the grill, the dull looking black looked more satin after cleaning.

Click to view attachment

In all the 914s that I've owned, only one was (mostly) original paint. On that car, it was obvious that the satin black was sprayed over body color.

I don't have much to add to this forum... but I could easily become a CW if I had the time. blink.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 6 2006, 08:17 AM) *

agree.gif
Particularly with the very early models. Concstruction seemed to be a work in progress. Never could really figure out when things settled down, because some original owner would always come up with a new variation. When I bought my 72 1.7 in August of 72 I was offered the NEW Fuchs alloys. They were too pricey & I turned them down. Had I bought them I'd have some tall explaining to do & probably would never be able to convince a jusge without doc's in hand.

But most of the aberrations came from the very early production 914's. Paul, what's the production date for your 1970?
1970 Neun vierzehn
Oberconcoursfuhrer,
Blt 01.1970
Color: L11E
and the stop holders ARE body color on this early 914 chair.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 7 2006, 01:38 PM) *

Oberconcoursfuhrer,
Blt 01.1970
Color: L11E
and the stop holders ARE body color on this early 914 chair.gif

alfred.gif

Ach! Zee, und early model. Maybe zeh iss original und maybe zeh iss not, zee uberjudge vil determine, eh?
1970 Neun vierzehn
IT'S BACK!

This thread and my camera. Here's an original engine lid opening detail...note the body colored engine lid stopper mounts.
Bleyseng
My early 70 1.7L had yellow engine lid stop brackets also.

I wonder when the change occured???
bob
from the 'for what it's worth' department...
ALL my cars that weren't repainted had the black paint. this includes my '73 I bought from the original owner in '82 and an original 1970 six that was sitting (tensioner failure) since '79.
also included is a bunch of parts cars that I have disassembled throughout the years..

one thing I have noticed, if you look closely, it looks like it was brushed on! there are definite brush marks on most of them! I expect, during manufacture, this was done when the engine lid was installed. in fact, on a couple cars, there was paint drips that went down the bracket..

-bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.