Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Off the stands and on the road again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lapuwali
The wiring is still not completely done, but it's drivable again, and for the first time since last October, I drove my 914. This is also only the second time I've driven it with the 2.2 Type IV I got from Bill P last summer.

After spending way too much time driving 1.4 FIATs and 1.6 VWs, this car was FAST. I haven't been able to accelerate hard up the grade on Hwy 92 in quite some time. Someone is going to have a really nice engine when I sell this after I put the 2.7 Six in there.

"Downgrading" to a 17mm MC with stock rebuilt calipers has proven an excellent choice over the 19mm MC I bought the car with.

The 911 five-gauge dash looks great, the 911 fuel gauge works perfectly with the 914 fuel sender. I have an 80psi oil pressure sender on the engine, but a 140psi oil pressure gauge, so it looks like I have 100psi of pressure at startup, and idle at 40psi even hot. A short-term problem. The oil temp gauge works great, and the engine runs fairly cool (180 unless I really get on it, then it creeps up to 190 [all uncalibrated, of course]).

The gearbox I got along with the engine is simply the nicest shifting 914 gearbox ever.

My welding skills have improved sufficiently that I was able to repair the engine lid bracket, so I have a lid again that opens and closes properly.

Still have to get the front and dash lights wired (needed to burn off gas yesterday so the tank didn't have 60lbs of gas in it, as it needs to be pulled to run the harness in the front trunk). That will be this week's "evening project", as I have to head up to the Sierras this weekend for a 500-mile road rally.
TonyAKAVW
Congrats!

Mine has been out of comission since early April...

-Tony
drewvw

Its always a good feeling when you fire up an old beast and are just about to go on a ride after a long layoff.

Its burbaling there in the driveway and you are so psyched to be back in the saddle...I need to put my car on jackstands and take it off again!

biggrin.gif
fiid
AWESOME!!! Congrats!!!
Gint
Congratulations! I know how it feels to get to drive a 914 again after a long break.

I've always preferred the 17MM MC to the 19 on the /4.

Can I have dibs on the 2.2? No rush, next week will be soon enough. wink.gif Seriously though, I'm thinking big /4 for the zambeziteen. Let me know.
lapuwali
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 5 2006, 01:08 PM) *

Congratulations! I know how it feels to get to drive a 914 again after a long break.

I've always preferred the 17MM MC to the 19 on the /4.

Can I have dibs on the 2.2? No rush, next week will be soon enough. wink.gif Seriously though, I'm thinking big /4 for the zambeziteen. Let me know.

See this space sometime NEXT summer. I'll be using this /4 all this summer, whilst I prep the new-to-me 2.7 for running. Swap this winter (we don't have fall and spring here in California, y'know), then flog the 2.2 when the 2.7 proves itself.
GTeener
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
lapuwali
Alas, my digital camera fell off the rear trunk lid onto the garage floor the other day. Is kaput. All of my spare cash is going into 914/6 conversion parts, so no camera, and thus no pics for quite some time...

Just imagine a white early 914 with gold trunk interiors and floor, beat up rubber bumper tops, no fog grilles, primer between the taillights, and 2.0 Fuchs. Monza 4-tip exhaust, no rear valence. Momo Monte Carlo steering wheel. Now, smudge every panel with greasy finger and hand prints. No radio or glovebox. Plenty of rips and tears in the stock seats. A little puff of oil smoke from a leaky pushrod tube. Lots of tools and bits in the passenger footwell. A couple of big coils of multi-colored wire in the driver's footwell. No switches in the dash.

That's how it will look until later in the week, when I can get a chance to wash off the fingerprints, add a headlight switch, and clean the junk out of the car.

GTeener
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jun 5 2006, 01:32 PM) *

Alas, my digital camera fell off the rear trunk lid onto the garage floor the other day. Is kaput. All of my spare cash is going into 914/6 conversion parts, so no camera, and thus no pics for quite some time...

Just imagine a white early 914 with gold trunk interiors and floor, beat up rubber bumper tops, no fog grilles, primer between the taillights, and 2.0 Fuchs. Monza 4-tip exhaust, no rear valence. Momo Monte Carlo steering wheel. Now, smudge every panel with greasy finger and hand prints. No radio or glovebox. Plenty of rips and tears in the stock seats. A little puff of oil smoke from a leaky pushrod tube. Lots of tools and bits in the passenger footwell. A couple of big coils of multi-colored wire in the driver's footwell. No switches in the dash.

That's how it will look until later in the week, when I can get a chance to wash off the fingerprints, add a headlight switch, and clean the junk out of the car.

OK. I've got the visual biggrin.gif
fiid
I can come by and take pics if you need smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.