Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Control Arm Shim/Spacer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I am in the process of replacing my rear control arm bushings and realized there are spacers where the arm mounts to the body? Fow some reason my car had all the spacers on the drivers side and none on the passengers side. These are 4 mm spacers. I did notice the drivers side was riding a bit higher than the passengers side but assumed it was the shocks. My plan is to put one spacer back on each side when I reassemble. Anybody seen this before? Any suggestions?
SLITS
In all probability your car was worked on by a VW or Chevy mechanic poke.gif

either that or

your tub / trailing arm is bent...or whatever.

Needless to say....take it to an alignment center that knows what the hell they are doing or string the car and get it close yourself.
Eric_Shea
Isn't this the car that needed the suspension consoule replaced? Might that have been the original issue when it was aligned the last time?
SirAndy
agree.gif with the above ...

also check the *other* trailing arm, without any spacers, the wheel should have something close to -2.5 deg of camber. if not, something is wrong ...
dry.gif Andy
Oled
You only have two adjustments for rear alignment. They are dealt with after you have decided what the ride height will be ( it will affect alignment if it is changed after you have set toe and camber. Toe (zero to 1/16" toe in) is set by moving the wheel in or out. The shims are then used to get the negative camber that you want.

If you like unepected adventures, drive with some rear toe out.
vesnyder
Eric - This is the same car, so maybe that was the case?

Andy - Unfortunately I cannot check the other wheel at the moment, I just got done welding in a new control arm mount.

Is there such thing as "typical" number of spacers? Are these things readily available (somebody said they were expen$ive?) Do you think there were three in the other side and somebody disposed of them to compensate for the crack in the mount?
davep
QUOTE(vesnyder @ Jun 5 2006, 12:11 PM) *

Are these things readily available (somebody said they were expen$ive?)

Available? Yes:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=4892
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.