Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porterfield pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Has anyone else had this problem?
Yesterday Iput new Early rotors in my rebuilt early calipers and Porterfield R4-S pads on the front of the Red Neck Racer.

Damn pads were too thick to fit the frame let alone between piston and rotor.

Ended up in the driveway with a belt sander making a hell of a mess. Kept the pad square going a little bit at a time. Got them to just slide in without forcing

Yes the pistons were completely pushed back.

Drove to work this morning after some good bedding in last night. all is good

Just wonder if when you order these pads the same part number fits early / late 914 and 911 M caliper.
Aaron Cox
one woulf think that you bed in the factory surface... not the one you just made....

it sounds like you got the wrong pads... and hacked em to fit....

next time call porterfield?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jun 5 2006, 02:17 PM) *

Has anyone else had this problem?
Yesterday Iput new Early rotors in my rebuilt early calipers and Porterfield R4-S pads on the front of the Red Neck Racer.

Damn pads were too thick to fit the frame let alone between piston and rotor.

Ended up in the driveway with a belt sander making a hell of a mess. Kept the pad square going a little bit at a time. Got them to just slide in without forcing

Yes the pistons were completely pushed back.

Drove to work this morning after some good bedding in last night. all is good

Just wonder if when you order these pads the same part number fits early / late 914 and 911 M caliper.

Early and late 914 calipers take different pads. The late pads are substantially thicker. The Cap'n
Mr.C
I did the belt sander trick with a Fiat I had. This was back in 90 when I was a dumb high schooler and before I knew anything about asbestos. Hopefully those were knew pads and not old stock, because I sucked down a whole lot of brake dust!
Andyrew
I got the wrong pads when my dad got me them.... Sent em back and made sure I had the right calipers...

Andrew
Eric_Shea
Early and late 914 calipers take different pads. The late pads are substantially thicker. The Cap'n

agree.gif What she said! biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
OH well they fit and are bedding in fine. Just goes to show ya, you can overcome anything if you have enough tools.

Pads were pretty thick probably still thicker than early pads. Sending them back was not even remotely in my head. Rather make them work and be careful not to screw them up.
Eric_Shea
Pads were pretty thick probably still thicker than early pads.

Still thicker than 'late' pads you mean?
Joe Ricard
Now how can the late pads I sanded down to fit in the early calipers "be thicker" blink.gif

Bottom line is the car stops gooder than it did (which was still pretty good)

had Pagid black pads up front and 30K mile rotors with lots of racing

stock rear calipers standard street pads
17mm M/C

REARS Now have late front calipers with street pads new rotors.
FRONTS Early Calipers Porterfield R4S pads new rotors
removed all the backing /dust shield plates
installed 19mm M/C and Speed bleeders

Eric_Shea
Let me speak MS:

If'n them there later pads be the thickest, then themz are the onez yuz had ta sand so... them be the thickest (kinda like a sertin bone above yur sholderz).

In'f yu mean themz was still thickerer then themz early pads once yuz was done widdlen on'em, then I'm-a fix'n ta understand ya.

Still (not the kind ya make shine from w00t.gif) yuz bought the rong pads tongue.gif

Make sense?

biggrin.gif
BigDBass
Let me speak MS:

laugh.gif
Joe Ricard
Eric Your Southern dialect Sucks

Wanna race?
Eric_Shea
sad.gif

No...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.