Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Longitudinal repair-Can an effective repair be done without affecting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jjs3rd914
We started the process of reinstalling the battery tray in the engine compartment as it had been relocated by a PO in the rear trunk. The engine is out and the fiberglass repair of the area where the battery tray is to be refit has been removed.

Unfortunately looking inside the longitudinal section reveals they are in bad need of repair. We have looked at the various threads on the repair. but it appears to do an effective repair a good bit of the outer fender has to be removed. The car does has a recent paint job and the external body panels are in good shape. Can an effective repair of the areas (perhaps outer long only) be performed without having to do any external body cutting/removal and/or have to repaint any external surfaces? Has anyone had any success this way, if so how and using what repair panels?

Thanks
jjs3rd914

wertygrog
bump! I'd like a confirmation of this too, as I don't plan on messing up my fenders when I install my RD clamshell......from test fitting it in position, it *should* go in just fine, if you are/can hire a good welder, BUT i think if the rust extends up into the suspension console then the fender should be cut, IMHO.

good luck and welcome.png

Brent
jjs3rd914
QUOTE(wertygrog @ Jun 5 2006, 03:17 PM) *

bump! I'd like a confirmation of this too, as I don't plan on messing up my fenders when I install my RD clamshell......from test fitting it in position, it *should* go in just fine, if you are/can hire a good welder, BUT i think if the rust extends up into the suspension console then the fender should be cut, IMHO.

good luck and welcome.png

Brent

Looking at more threads it looks like Brad's kit can be put on without removing part of the fender but I do have rust that extends up around the Hell Hole. However the suspension area/motor mount does not look bad. Does the RD clamshell fit right over the existing piece? Does it fit nice? Any comment on the actual fitup? What about the jack post?

Thanks
Jeff
wertygrog
yes, it fits over the existing piece, and yes it should fit nicely, GIVEN that you spent the time to really clean up what metal's left, for a snug fit. the RD clamshell fits snugly to the jack post support. The RD clamshell actually extends all the way from the lower seam under the long up to the very upper seam ABOVE the door sill, so to install it correctly I suppose one would cut off the sill before installing it. My plan is to cut the upper 2 or 3 inches off of the RD piece and weld the clamshell to the solid part of the long UNDER the sill, to save myself a lot of work. I cannot comment on brad's kit, I have no experience with it.

brent
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.