Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for the V8 guys...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
I've been working on JLO's V8 conversion and have already test fit the engine and various lines. I pulled everything back out as I'm working on the detailing of the engine bay. While I was cleaning I wondered if I need to pull off the original heatshield from the car in order to make the Magnaflow mufflers fit?

What have you guys done?

Thanks,

Bill P.
Crazyhippy
Might not have to to get the mufflers to fit, but i ALWAYS remove it.

Really suck to have to drop the motor to cut it out later if the mufflers do hit.

Besides it's weight savings
Andyrew
If you got mufflers underneath it... I would guess that you should keep it.... Theres gota be a reason the factory put it in...

I kept mine in it... but I might take it out for my new exhaust.
nine14cats
Ah....so maybe or maybe not.... laugh.gif

Sounds about right for a home built kit car..... burnout.gif

The only thing I didn't dry fit was the mufflers...I guess I'll fit it up one more time or eyeball it after I get close to finishing the detailing. Then I'll decide...the factory put it there to keep heat out of the trunk from what I understand, so if I can keep it, that wouldn't be too bad.

Bill P.
nine14cats
Thanks Andrew, that's a perfect shot!

I need to order some upholstery items next....and fab the center console shorter to fit my A/C from Renengade..... biggrin.gif

Pics will be coming soon with the official JLO V8 conversion thread.

Bill P.
Andyrew
We'll im sure you've heard my car, and it sounds good with magnaflows... You'll be happy!

Have fun with Jlo!!!

Andrew
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jun 5 2006, 08:38 PM) *

Might not have to to get the mufflers to fit, but i ALWAYS remove it.

Really suck to have to drop the motor to cut it out later if the mufflers do hit.

Besides it's weight savings

I. believe the heat shields, just unscrew from inside the trunk, if I recall correctly.
cobra94563
I cut it out - didn't see any screws.
Probabaly didn't need to, but it was rusting and I didn't think I'll need it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Type 4 Unleashed @ Jun 5 2006, 10:33 PM) *

I. believe the heat shields, just unscrew from inside the trunk, if I recall correctly.

only on factory /6 cars and some really early /4s ... 6 philips sheet metal screws from inside the trunk.

later cars have the heat shield welded on ...
smile.gif Andy
tesserra
Bill,
I have mine in place.
My exhaust has 2 glasspacks that cross over to opposite sides, behind the trans and exit at the original 914-6 locations, with original tips.
I also have 2 short turbo mufflers tucked up above the axles.
I think it is a lot cleaner look than 2 mufflers that are visible from the rear.
I don't have pics but I am going to try and make it to the Alameda auto-X, will you be there?

George
nine14cats
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the info...I'll have to decide what to do next.

George,

I will be at the AX this Saturday. Fritz will have a new alignment setting and some new sticky paws....should be fun...I'd like to check out your car if you don't mind...the JLO conversion is getting closer to going together and has been alot of fun.

Thanks!

Bill P.
tesserra
Bill,
If I am not ther in the morning I will make it in the afternoon.
Kids have a swim meet.

George
byndbad914
Bill,
If you want to tuck the mufflers up in nicely and have the tips extend through the rear valence (cutting some reliefs of course), then you would need to remove the heat sheild. In addition, check these out - if you wish to shield heat from the trunk, the shield should match the muffler shape anyway - you could add something like these in place:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.as...876&D=%2D147876

I thought about doing this, but now with the tube car it's irrelevant... if I build another "streeter" V8 with the battery/ignition/f.i. brain in the trunk and such, I would run them.
wbergtho
I would think that the only reason you'd keep the heat shields would be if you have new replacement muffler/s that mount in pretty much the exact stock location. That said, you probably will not find Magnaflows or any other muffler suitable for a V-8 to fit perfectly in the stock location...I cut the heat sheilds out to make room for my Dynomax mufflers on my LS6 set up. I also put a trans cooler and diff pump right where the heat sheild used to be. It made sense for me. Every body's V-8 conversion is a little different...attack accordingly.

Bill
Dr. Roger
kept them.

didn't have to though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.