914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
Rust free, and color and cheap please?

Thx.

b
Trekkor
make one...
grasshopper
if I can find any metal around here, I will make you one. I am cutting up another really rusty car today..need anything else??
bd1308
is it easy to make, like what we talked about? I could do it..but its not just bending metal around a 1x4 or anything, theres a little curve to the seal profile that must be present....I was thinking about trimming a paint stirrer to fit, and then tapping at two angles to get both features?

b
grasshopper
are we talking about the whole shelf, or just the seal channel??
tdgray
Britt,

Restoration Design.

I got one... wasn't really that expensive. By the time you get some sheet metal bend etc... you'd be happier with Bill's piece.

bd1308
I need the whole shelf, but the top part is easy to make...the seal channel is what I was talking about...

b
grasshopper
i'll go check and see if I have any metal left in the truck. If I do, then I'll make it for you and send it overnight to you tomorrow. You still planning on going to that thing with the VW club??
bd1308
yeah....I hope to make it.

I dont think that s required. Its uber muchos dineros to ship something overnight...

b
Aaron Cox
resto design....

money ahead, and it will look better than most anyone here could make
bd1308
Great, go ahead and buy that for me and just send to me via UPS.

Call it a early bday present!

b
grasshopper
lol...how about we all just stop bitching and decide which is the best thing to do. Britt doesn't have a lot of money and needs it by friday to have it welded in. It would only take an hour or so to make you own. You never know when the RD part will show up...most of the time you cant even get anyone to talk to. I say go ahead and make you own. smile.gif
bd1308
saturday...

b
grasshopper
what you said about trimming a paint stirrer might work. Put it in a vice and work the metal around the wood until you have a nice channel. Then just spot weld it to the rest of the engine shelf.
Cano
Britt:

How bad is the seal channel from your old engine shelf? While my shelf was very rusted, all but a couple of inches of the channel was in bad shape. I cut the channel off the old, and welded it to an engine shelf I fabbed, then welded in the whole assembly. POR 15 over all. Worked great.
jd74914
If you have metal cut it and bend both sides around a screwdriver thats of the same diameter as the original channel. You could even make it in 2 pieces and weld them together. Its not very difficult and only took me about 10mins to make a section longer than the one you need (atleast the one I see that you need from looking @ your pictures).

In any case, that method holds the seal well and is cheaper than resto design.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.