Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: East Coast 914 Get Together
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
dcheek
As you can see I am new to the 914 Club. While I've been on the web site many times in the past I've never joined because it seems that most events or gatherings are held on the West Coast. Has there been any thought or consideration to hold some type of event on the East Coast or tri-state New York metropolitan area? I know that these things a alot of work and usually one person has to step up to take the lead. There might be several other ways to get together without all work to organize such an event. Perhaps we could partner with some local events that are already scheduled??

For instance there is an All Air Cooled Gathering in Flanders NJ on September 17th sponsored by the Central Jersey VW Society (of which I'm a member). I know they would love to see a large turnout of 914's. It's held at a German Swim Club. Huge grass soccer field where the show cars a parked, swimming, club house with German Beer on tap etc, food and camping the night before. Judging is low key. Or you can just drive up and park. Any thoughts?

Dave
tod914
Hey Dave, I think the New England guys hold are have held a few events. I can't recall much going on around this way. In the Forums main menu there are 2 other pages. One for past and the other for future events. Seems like there are enough of us around to get something going. There are at least 4-5 teeners in my area that I know of. That VW event sounds great, keep me posted would love to attend it.
smontanaro
You mean, like this?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...1&hl=east+coast

Skip
dcheek
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jun 6 2006, 05:18 AM) *

Yes, exactly like this. Only problem is I would not be able to make it due to the "All Air Cooled Gathering" which I'm helping to run is the same weekend.

Dave
tod914
http://www.allaircooledgathering.com/ looks a fun event, I'll have to check it out.
sixerdon
Hey! I tried getting the word out on this forum for a Porsche event in Warwick RI this Sunday. Doesn't seem much interest from the 914 community. It's within two hours drive from western CT, central MA, southern NH, and Cape Cod. So far I know of 3 914's. Mine included.
Next event is German Car Day at Lars Anderson museum in Brookline (Boston) MA on June 18. Always a big favorite locally. 60 or more Porsches. There are more Opel GT's that turn up than 914's. I'm usually one of 2 or 3 at best.
On a recent thread in the garage, plans are underway for the East Coast Ramble in early September. I went to the one held in Sturbridge MA two years ago. About 25 914's showed for that one. Largest turnout of 914's I've ever seen in these parts.
I'm sure there are other events around here. But 914's are basically a no show.
Go figure.

Don
jsf322
I agree that there does not seem to be much organization for a tri-start area event. I believe there is some interest based on talking to a few other club members, but there just has been no organization. If I can get free from work in September I would like to take my 914 to the aircooled event you mentioned. Hopefully this thread will lead to more interest in the tri-state area for setting up an event or at least a casual get together for a drive.
tod914
The 911 group organized a meet about 3 years ago up at Bear Mt NY. Did a nice scenic drive along the Hudson and had a bite to eat. I assume they do it each year. Was posted on the Pelican site. Paul Herey came down for that one too.
i love porsche
id love to have a get together...914s are a fairly rare sight around here and id love to see which ones are here
dcheek
How about a Sunday Morning informal get together for breakfast at a Diner with a big parking. Or maybe a Saturday night hotdog stand or something. Just a place to meet. Look at all the cars etc. ??????? Anybody up for that?

Dave
tod914
Either or sounds good. I'll try to contact some other 914 owners once you guys pick a date.
dcheek
Tod,
Sounds good to me.

Dave
fitsbain
I'm having a get together at my place in pittsburgh on 6/24

Pm me for the details. Have a bunch of east coasters already signed up to come.

Drop me a line for info, or check my thread in the garage.
type11969
There is this place:

http://www.hollyeats.com/GallopingHill.htm

Pretty easy to get to right off the parkway. And it has a good sized parking lot. Every monday night there is a car show there during the summer, might be a pain for people traveling far to get there on a monday though.

-Chris
i love porsche
saturday and sunday evenings there are car shows at the whiskey cafe in lyndhurst, its all free and good fun...lots of drag cars..but a few porsches every so often, that could be another great place to meet up
dcheek
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Jun 12 2006, 11:44 AM) *

saturday and sunday evenings there are car shows at the whiskey cafe in lyndhurst, its all free and good fun...lots of drag cars..but a few porsches every so often, that could be another great place to meet up

I think they only do Saturday nights now. I've been to this place with the VW Club. There is a huge turnout of every type of car. Hot dogs and beer are sold outside or you can get a full meal plus booze inside. This would be a great place to meet. However, it would be good to know how many 914'ers would be coming to save spots. Also, you have to get there early, say 4:00 PM to get a good spot.

If everybody's in agreement. Let's nail down a date.

Dave
rmital
...count me in...

at the diner...hot dog place...it all sounds good.

I'll try to give some thought to where also.
type11969
I'd definitely be down, depends on the date if I can make it though.

My 914 would be there only in spirit, I would have to drive my Beetle (914 powered at least).

-Chris
i love porsche
yeah..i would be there in my 924S, not the 914 sadly..but ill wear my roadglue shirt!

how does july first sound?
dcheek
July 1st good for me.

Dave
tod914
good deal.. so July 1 then?? I'll see if I can contact some other owners and let them know, and make a post on the local pca site as well once the date is in stone.
dcheek
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 13 2006, 05:07 PM) *

good deal.. so July 1 then?? I'll see if I can contact some other owners and let them know, and make a post on the local pca site as well once the date is in stone.

Tod,
When the date becomes "official" we should put up a separate posting in the 914 Forum with date, time, and directions to the Whiskey Cafe.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.