Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drilling holes for fog lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WRX914
I am trying to install the fog lamps on my car. Apparently, the car did not come with the lamps factory. Does anyone have a picture of the location of the mounting point of the front fog/driving lights?

Thanks all!

Keith
Eric_Shea
It should have a 13mm bolt in the bulkhead where they mount.
WRX914
I do have a stud in the front, but all that have looked at it say that it does not appear to be stock. When I bought the car, it had the 916 front/rear bumpers. The PO must have put them in. If I try to mount the lamps at the current stud location, the lamps do not fit in the grill openings of the bumper...

Thanks though!

KW

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 6 2006, 01:17 PM) *

WRX914
I really could use pics...

So.Cal.914
My 72 did not come with foglights so I got a set and all I had to do is bolt them to

the existing holes(nut was in place) and plug them into the existing wires. The

switch was just as easy.
WRX914
That is what I thought too... The only problem is there is no holes on my chassis!

confused24.gif

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jun 6 2006, 01:21 PM) *

My 72 did not come with foglights so I got a set and all I had to do is bolt them to

the existing holes(nut was in place) and plug them into the existing wires. The

switch was just as easy.

Eric_Shea
Someone's been creative... sorry, no pics from where I am. Someone can weigh in here with some. Should be plug and play as described.
So.Cal.914
Sorry my tub is in riverside and my 72 is in one piece (how rare is that)
Dr Evil
Do a search, I posted pics on this very topic a couple of months back that will answer your questions. The bolts do not seem to be intuitive in their location.

Also, it would be good if you could show us some pics when you get a chance.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 6 2006, 02:05 PM) *

The bolts do not seem to be intuitive in their location.

not only that, the cars that came without the foglights had a plastic cap covering the mounting holes/nut ...

they are there, trust me ...
smile.gif Andy

PS: what year is your car? i'm asking because some of the early cars i have seen didn't have the wiring for the foglights in the main harness ...
markb
Does this help?
WRX914
That is exactly what I needed to see. Do you have a close up? I believe the PO must have welded the original holes shut. I have searched high and low, and there is no holes, no plug no nothing... It is a 73. Thanks Mark beerchug.gif

QUOTE(markb @ Jun 6 2006, 02:11 PM) *

Does this help?

So.Cal.914
Those are the one's. You can see in this pic the outline of the foglight bracket

and a few nuts. Did I say that? I am in trouble again. headbang.gif Click to view attachment
WRX914
Thanks Andy,

I do trust ya, but they are not there! headbang.gif

The PO did install driving lights in the 916 front bumper, so I believe the wiring is ok. Thanks for the heads-up though...

confused24.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 6 2006, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 6 2006, 02:05 PM) *

The bolts do not seem to be intuitive in their location.

not only that, the cars that came without the foglights had a plastic cap covering the mounting holes/nut ...

they are there, trust me ...
smile.gif Andy

PS: what year is your car? i'm asking because some of the early cars i have seen didn't have the wiring for the foglights in the main harness ...

WRX914
Hows about a close up pic?
Eric_Shea
How did he mount the lights in the 916 bumper? 916 bumpers are made to handle stock lights in stock locations.

This is what I meant by "someone's been creative". They've either welded or mudded over the holes.
So.Cal.914
Click to view attachmentThis was the best I could do in a pinch.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 6 2006, 02:48 PM) *

916 bumpers are made to handle stock lights in stock locations.

agree.gif

below is a pic of my 916 bumper with foglights, mounted in the *stock* location ...

i also attached a pic of the plastic cap that was used to plug the holes on cars that never had foglights (about the size of a quarter) ...

smile.gif Andy

IPB Image

IPB Image
WRX914
He was something if not "creative"

biggrin.gif

How did he mount the lights in the 916 bumper? 916 bumpers are made to handle stock lights in stock locations.

This is what I meant by "someone's been creative". They've either welded or mudded over the holes.

WRX914
I will take a few pics tonight for all to see...
jgara962
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 6 2006, 02:53 PM) *

agree.gif

below is a pic of my 916 bumper with foglights, mounted in the *stock* location ...

i also attached a pic of the plastic cap that was used to plug the holes on cars that never had foglights (about the size of a quarter) ...

smile.gif Andy

IPB Image

IPB Image

hijacked.gif

Andy,

I just put pilot lights on my car with a 916 spoiler. Had to fab some brackets myself, but still can't quite seem to get the lights high enough to line up with the openings in the spoiler. Did you use stock brackets to mount your lights?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 6 2006, 01:17 PM) *

We call those "8mm" bolts, not "13mm".. What you might call an "industry standard" terminology. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 6 2006, 05:35 PM) *

We call those "8mm" bolts, not "13mm".. What you might call an "industry standard" terminology.

M8 with a head for a 13mm wrench ...

wink.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jun 6 2006, 05:26 PM) *

Did you use stock brackets to mount your lights?
no, the brackets are not stock ...

smile.gif Andy
boxstr
Here is a pic of the blind nuts I use for mounting the CAMP 914 Pilot lites on a 914 that does no have the holes, normally a 75-76.
CCLINBLINDHOLE
Eric_Shea
We call those "8mm" bolts, not "13mm".. What you might call an "industry standard" terminology. The Cap'n

Shaaaaaaaaaad upppppppp biggrin.gif

8mm bolt with a 13mm head... happy weinerschnitzel? lol3.gif

What about the thread pitch? Should we fill him in on that too????
mightyohm
blowup.gif
914-8
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jun 6 2006, 05:26 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 6 2006, 02:53 PM) *

agree.gif

smile.gif Andy

IPB Image

IPB Image

hijacked.gif

Andy,

I just put pilot lights on my car with a 916 spoiler. Had to fab some brackets myself, but still can't quite seem to get the lights high enough to line up with the openings in the spoiler. Did you use stock brackets to mount your lights?

I was able to use the brackets that came with the pilot lights, and get them to line up in my 916 bumper, but I had to modify the brackets a bit. Basically, just elongate the slot in the bracket to give it a bit more reach.

IPB Image
Crazyhippy
Here you go Keith...

There are advantages to having my car torn apart still.... mad.gif
Crazyhippy
el Segundo
Crazyhippy
magical # 3

I can take more if you need.

BJH
Crazyhippy
el Segundo take 2...

headbang.gif

Series9
Here's one:

WRX914
Thanks BJ...

I think the PO must have grafted a 75-76 front end on my car. I see remenants of a wreck on the passenger fender well.

Thanks all, I am on it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.