Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone check into doing a trans conversion for automatic?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
byndbad914
So I am considering building a 4.6/5.4L Ford powered 914 with an auto transaxle (if something exists) for a driver for my fiancee. She loves the little 914s, but refuses to learn to drive a stick. And as for shifting a 914, I don't blame her - even the sideshifts are vague IMO. And an auto would be great for cruisin' around and I won't be tracking it since I have the beast coming along.

Needless to say the last Excellence got me thinking about this again...

So, anybody know if something exists? I don't know much about tiptronic, but I know it is computer controlled and I do NOT want that. So something that isn't computer controlled - old skool simple setup I can run a cable to select gears and a vacuum line to the modulator or just f the modulator and let it shift at "15 and 2" or whatever factory base setting for those that know what that means.
Aaron Cox
audi box has been done before
byndbad914
After some searching, apparently Kennedy also makes automatic trans adapters (should have figured). I always thought they were clutch only. Website had it buried a bit. Complete kit for SBC is $495 and SBF is $535. Gonna have to call and see if they make a 4.6L/5.4L flexplate yet.

I don't even have the tube car done and already jonesing to start another crazy project teener. Would be cool to build a daily driver 4.6L with A/C and power steering (using an aftermarket rack and stock ford pump)... idea.gif I have so many freaking parts I can damn near build one with the stuff in my garage laugh.gif
Thack
So what tranny are you going to use? The Audi?
swood
I've wondered about this. My '79 transporter had a auto tranny. Why couldn't that work on a 914?
Mueller
QUOTE(swood @ Jun 21 2006, 07:33 PM) *

I've wondered about this. My '79 transporter had a auto tranny. Why couldn't that work on a 914?

ring and pinion cannot be flipped or something wierd like that.......

the audi slush box 914 was posted about here last year right before the WCC took place...

i've seen one other fully automatic 914 conversion, guy used the V6 and autobox from a Fiero.....and I think someone was looking at using the V6 and auto from a Dodge intrepid (transaxle has the "correct" orientation just like our transmissions)

shaggy
why would you add power steering to a 914?
they are so light anyways.
wouldnt powersteering make its light and touchy?
confused24.gif

i also have wondered about the auto tranny.

what about the semi autos out of the old beetles?

not exactly auto but theres really no shifting involved either.

-shag
Mueller
QUOTE(shaggy @ Jun 21 2006, 07:42 PM) *

confused24.gif

-shag

wait till you put some wide sticky tires on the front of your 914, there will be times you'll wish for powersteering driving.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(shaggy @ Jun 21 2006, 10:42 PM) *

-shag

The semi auto won't handle any hp mods.

so unless you want a 50hp type 1 powered 914.....

The T 3 borg-warner unit could handle the power, but same problem...you can't flip the diff.
byndbad914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 21 2006, 07:45 PM) *

wait till you put some wide sticky tires on the front of your 914, there will be times you'll wish for powersteering driving.gif

Mueller hit it on the head - I want to flare the car out and by the time you add wide rubber and spacers to the front, the scrub radius grows just enough that, coupled with the 6deg of caster, power would be sweet. For me I would not run it, but the car would be for my fiancee in theory. Of course, I would probably end up keeping it happy11.gif

Thack - apparently the trans that works is out of an Audi 5000 - something in the mid-80s I think. I am going to talk to Kennedy and see what they say their stuff is made to adapt to.... maybe tomorrow if I get a chance.
shaggy

QUOTE(shaggy @ Jun 21 2006, 07:42 PM) *

confused24.gif

-shag

im still trying to talk my parents into financing that...
andys
If you're thinking the Ford Modular motors, you might get out your tape measure; they are huge. They are also very heavy; 580lbs comes to mind but I'll have to check on that. I have a photo of a side-by-side of the SBF and the Mod motors that I'll dig up. An amazing difference when you compare the two.

Andys
byndbad914
QUOTE(andys @ Jun 21 2006, 10:02 PM) *

If you're thinking the Ford Modular motors, you might get out your tape measure; they are huge. They are also very heavy; 580lbs comes to mind but I'll have to check on that. I have a photo of a side-by-side of the SBF and the Mod motors that I'll dig up. An amazing difference when you compare the two.

Andys

yeah, they are larger - I used to work for Ford Performance Solutions and was there last Friday measuring one. I will some work to the firewall, but it is nice because the alternator is packaged well, the water pump is well integrated and on the side (kinda like you see the boat pumps and Renegade stuff) and so forth. It'll fit as long as you don't go hog wild with the 4-cam Cobra motor - those heads are mammoth. A little firewall work for the 2-cammer but it will fit me thinks. Solid 250HP motor would be a simple setup and run for 100K miles without a balk and roast 9" wide tires.
andys
The attached photo is in fact the DOHC version compared to a SBF. So the SOHC version will be slightly less huge. Since you worked for Ford, check the weight of the 4.6.......As I previously mentioned, they are very heavy. Why not simply go with a SBF. Weights only 425 or so lbs (less intake and exhaust). The last of the pushrod motors used in the Explorer used DIS, so no distributor to firewall interference issues. They also used the good heads and intake. Nice thing about the Ford stuff, is that the engine management system on those motors are stand alone which greatly reduces the wiring headaches. Performance stuff is also very cheap.

Andys
jd74914
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Jun 21 2006, 10:53 PM) *

Mueller hit it on the head - I want to flare the car out and by the time you add wide rubber and spacers to the front, the scrub radius grows just enough that, coupled with the 6deg of caster, power would be sweet. For me I would not run it, but the car would be for my fiancee in theory. Of course, I would probably end up keeping it happy11.gif

Thack - apparently the trans that works is out of an Audi 5000 - something in the mid-80s I think. I am going to talk to Kennedy and see what they say their stuff is made to adapt to.... maybe tomorrow if I get a chance.

From personal experience (in driving 5000s) the auto tranny makes the car a dog. They do handle alot of power though. My buddy has an auto 5000 pushing over 300hp to the wheels, and has never had any trans problems. He used to drag it alot too (he doesn't now because he picked up a manual 5000, which now easily runs with newer S4's). smile.gif

Anyways, its a pretty strong tranny; drag takeoffs in such a heavy car don't break it, so I don't think a 914 without serious grip ever could.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Jun 21 2006, 07:53 PM) *

If you're looking for an auto trans from an audi, you'll need one from a turbo, and they're the weak point in an otherwise great car. 1985-1991. Figure $2000 and up for a rebuilt one, and you have to have a rebuildable core for them to build for you. The Cap'n
byndbad914
cool... thanks for all the input guys. I think a mod motor would be cool to have in there, but at the same time, they aren't exactly rebuildable (can't resize the rods, all fasteners are "torque to yield", so forth) so I may just go with a 302 stroked out to around 331 cubes (4.030" with a 3.25" stroke) and use a cheapie 5.315" I-beam rod and so forth with some good alum heads, nice little hyd roller cam, so forth. Then just run a belt drive with tapped water inlets with an electric water pump exactly like the race car. A lot easier to fit than the mod motor, but I think the mod motor would be a slick looking conversion.

The auto may seem a little "sluggish" as they have more losses, but not much more. And for a daily scooter with 300HP it would be fine. Hell, fun! And I would just run a computer and harness out of a late 80s/early 90s Mustang with Mass Air Flow - really easy to tune, stand alone, and uber adaptable to about anything.
bondo
What about a tiptronic out of a boxster?

*edit* oops, didn't see the second bit of your first post... do they have to be computer controlled? Perhaps there's a way to manually control it.
bob91403
As long as you're going to an Audi transmission. You should take a look at that Audi powerplant I've been hearing so much about. 2.7L V6 twin turbo, lots of power, less weight. Maybe it would match up with a lot less trouble. (picture stolen from neo914-6's thread) It sounds like you're both looking in the same direction. A high powered, modern creature comfort 914.
Mueller
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 22 2006, 09:19 AM) *

If you're looking for an auto trans from an audi, you'll need one from a turbo, and they're the weak point in an otherwise great car. 1985-1991. Figure $2000 and up for a rebuilt one, and you have to have a rebuildable core for them to build for you. The Cap'n

any truth that the audi box is based on or used parts from Ford C4 transmission ??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.