Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teener's got a garage-mate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rrrockhound
Early 85 944, 77K miles, everything works, no rust, complete service records including every tank of gas since Oct. 1987! And it was cheap!

IPB Image
IPB Image
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Solution to that problem is BIGGER garage , then you can buy more cars . laugh.gif

Nice set up ,i am jealous, I have some extra space ,would be glad
store it and keep it running for you.
Dave slap.gif
tdgray
I keep thinking about picking one of those up too.

Would be nice ya know creature comforts for when you just don't feel like ruffing it.

Nice Score.
Steve Thacker
Just had to have one huh? biggrin.gif
I was up at the house a month ago and had a great visit. I didn't know you were going to go buy another toy!

How is the teener running?

Not to sound like your mom and nag....but,
When was the timing and balance shaft belts replaced? Also based off the records when was the belt readjusted. It should have been readjusted at the 1700 mile or so mark after install. These belts are the single most important thing on these cars. Belt breaky...you walky, plus you will have an expensive paperweight or lawn ornament.

Have fun stabbing the gas!
Cap'n Krusty
Timing belt, front seals, and water pump every 40K miles, or 5 years if you haven't gone 40K. At shop rates, that's $14-1500. The Cap'n
brant
pretty car...
Brian Mifsud
pretty view... nice house
Sparky
Nice score. Having owned one in the past I really miss it. Keep up with the maintenance on the belts and water pump. You can do the maintenance yourself and save the bucks. Just pay attention to adjusting the tensioners properly mad.gif . As for the no rust... they are galvanized they shouldn't rust smile.gif

My best,
Mike D.
Cornholio
Too bad about the license plates...homeless guy with sulphuric acid in a spray bottle and an asbestos rag?
jasons
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Jun 7 2006, 07:22 AM) *

When was the timing and balance shaft belts replaced? Also based off the records when was the belt readjusted. It should have been readjusted at the 1700 mile or so mark after install. These belts are the single most important thing on these cars. Belt breaky...you walky, plus you will have an expensive paperweight or lawn ornament.

All new 944 owners need to be bullied about this. My belt stripped on my S2. Thats twice as many valves to bend and at least twice as expensive to fix. From my experience, you should just change the belts on all second hand 944's so you know its been done.

The other thing to be concerned about is the clutch. If it has a rubber centered oem style clutch, it will fail before it wears out. (ask me how I know) Its not a question of if, its a question of when?

Nice car BTW, does it have the early or late dash? I like the early dash myself.
Rrrockhound
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Jun 7 2006, 10:22 AM) *

Just had to have one huh? biggrin.gif
I was up at the house a month ago and had a great visit. I didn't know you were going to go buy another toy!

How is the teener running?

Have fun stabbing the gas!

Hey Steve, thought about calling you and asking your advice, but I had to move quick and the money was pretty good so I didn't think I could get myself into too much trouble. The timing belt was done at 43K and again last fall at 77K. It hasn't had enough miles for the retensioning yet.

Nice car BTW, does it have the early or late dash? I like the early dash myself.

It's got the early dash. Not really sporty, but still pretty attractive once I got it all cleaned up.

Too bad about the license plates...homeless guy with sulphuric acid in a spray bottle and an asbestos rag?

chairfall.gif

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Sparky @ Jun 7 2006, 12:04 PM) *

As for the no rust... they are galvanized they shouldn't rust smile.gif

Before I had a garage (and therefore could not own a teener as it would have rusted in beofre it was restored) I was looking at 944s, and 924Ss.

I looked at one that was indeed rusitng. Rusting like a big 'ole dog. When I pointed it out, the owner said "Shit, when did that start happening?!"

I walked. At least it was a pleseant lunch break. Looking at cars always is. :-)

Zach
Steve Thacker
No problem about the pre-purchase call. Just keep a watchful eye on the mileage in regards to the belts. I have all the special tensioning tools. You can bring it out to the house and I'll show you how to do the job.
1bad914
I replaced a clutch in my sons 85 944, that was the single most difficult task I have performed on a car. It is not complicated, but it is a total pain. I would sell a car before I would do another. You basically drop the whole drive train from the bell housing back. It took me two full days to do, aprox. 19 hours of hell!

Nice car BTW. They are a blast to drive, the turbo's are wicked fast! You will enjoy it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.