Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: big four build up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
modpr2
looking at a couple different engine choices, but really looking at a built big four. im looking for about 160 to 180 hp. what do you think this would cost me and what particular parts do you recommend. i plan to build the engine myself and just have any machining needed send out. thanks
MoveQik
popcorn[1].gif
Mark Henry
I'd just get a 2270 kit from Jake Raby, or if you're in Canada from myself. My "kits" (I don't really sell kits) would have a lot of Jakes parts in it, but is not a Raby kit.
A kit will give you a longblock that, if put together right, will give an engine that is reliable and will give you years of trouble free service. It's worth the couple of extra bucks.
A bad "Combo" will just suck and if you smoke the engine it will cost you way more than the kit would have. A kit will also take the guesswork out of building your engine.

Figure about $4000.

Carbs or PEFI? Carbs are about $1000 new, around half that used. PEFI (Programmable Electronic Fuel Injection) can be done for under $1000 with a DIY mega-squirt system, or start at about $2000 and up for a commercial system like SDS ( www.sdsefi.com ) Both Jake and I use the SDS but there are many other systems on the market. Price will vary depending on the intake system and options you chose.

Exhaust figure on say $500 for a triad and some good SSI heat exchangers or anywhere from $700 to $2000 for a header set-up.

" im looking for about 160 to 180 hp."

Hard to do but not imposable, this power level will need a nice header and very good heads. I think if you set you sights on the 160hp figure you are being more realistic.
Joe Ricard
And there you have it. Nice post Mark and I agree withyou on 160 HP.
Shoot in these light little cars that is way more than enough to scare the begeebies out of you.
maf914
The above posts are good advice.

I would suggest you visit the ShopTalkForums site and do some research in the Type4 and AirCooledTechnology forums. This will help you get an idea of what people have found does and doesn't work with big fours. There is a lot of good info available there.

Good luck with your project.
Aaron Cox
Raby 2270 or 2316 kit....

www.type4store.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.