Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: too high of oil preasure, blowing fiter seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dougcoup
I recently converted to 6cyl, and now when I start it it blows the oil filter seal.
We traced the oil and it is flowing freely through the system and cooler back into drysump.... we noticed that hoses were a little softer on the out side of the oil cooler (RX7 turbo cooler) so we bypassed it and it solved the problem.

I have since bought a new cooler 914-6, and now it blows again.

Any thoughts as to why this might be happening?
I checked both oil pressure springs and valves and they are there, loose and movable so they are not stuck.

Doug
right not the exxon valdez capt'n
Gint
Moving to the garage...
cnavarro
By any chance are you bulging the filters? What filter are you using?
mudfoot76
QUOTE(dougcoup @ Jun 7 2006, 06:41 AM) *

I recently converted to 6cyl, and now when I start it it blows the oil filter seal.

What kind of filter? I had this problem on my -4 when I tried to use a FRAM (I know, I know, a REALLY stupid move) oil filter. Stick to Mahle, Mann, or the K&N oil filters.

But if you already are using one of those, confused24.gif
GBallantine
I had the same problem on my 4 cylinder race motor... plus I was bulging the filter. I went to a Fram HP 1 full flow filter and RTV the seal and problem solved. Make sure you use the HP which is the High Performance filter and NOT the standard PH filter. Also try to keep the revs low on start up until the oil warms up.

GB
Mark Henry
QUOTE(GBallantine @ Jun 7 2006, 12:33 PM) *

I had the same problem on my 4 cylinder race motor... plus I was bulging the filter. I went to a Fram HP 1 full flow filter and RTV the seal and problem solved. Make sure you use the HP which is the High Performance filter and NOT the standard PH filter. Also try to keep the revs low on start up until the oil warms up.

GB

The RTV on the filter oil seal is going to kill your bearings.
Brett W
I agree with Mark, RTV belongs nowhere near an engine.

K&N filters are very strong, but you need to pull the bypasses out and make sure your don't have some trash behind them. You should also check and make sure you don't have two gaskets stuck together.
dougcoup
I am using HP 1 from patrick motorsports.
I pulled pressure springs to make sure they were not stuck.
I guess what I could do is pull them and crank it to blow by anything that would be stuck.

But here is the kicker. If I bypass the oil cooler it works fine. (putting a Male to Male connector, so lines are still used).

We are thinking that the oil presure blow off springs are super strong and not stock and we are ordering stock springs to see if that solves it.

Thanks for the input
dougcoup
QUOTE(cnavarro @ Jun 7 2006, 04:05 AM) *

By any chance are you bulging the filters? What filter are you using?

What do you mean Bulging?

Mark Henry
Is the cooler blocked? if removing the cooler from the line solves you pressure problem then I suspect the cooler. Or a cooler T-stat?
Cap'n Krusty
Frams are for olf Fords you don't care about. RTV is for engines you don't care about. Use ONLY the OE filters, use only the correct weight oil, and check the plumbing to the external cooler, including the cooler itself. I don't remember ever seeing a 911 motor with excessive oil pressure. The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
some rx7 coolers have thermostats in em.....

bulging - does the filter "bulge" or grow in shape???
Mark Henry
Bulges like a balloon till the seal pops out or it splits.

I've had one burst on the test stand hosing 3 cars, my 12 foot ceiling and a wall that was 40 feet away.

dougcoup
No Bulging accept the oil filter seal seal that you see expanding out then blowing.

As for Oil Cooler, I have blown compressed air through it it is clean.
I have removed thermostat. (RX7)

I now have 914-6 cooler.

My friend says I need in on one side and out on the other cooler.
I do not see hos that would be any different then in/out on same side.

B & B coolers are in/out on same side and I used them with good luck.

HELP
sixnotfour
oil pressure springs on the motor have nothing to do with the oil return(scavenge) side of the pump on a six.
I have a hp-1 on mine never any problem. -12 6 foot long . how is your set up plumbed?
oil filter hooked up in/out backwards ?
MattR
Have you put a gauge on the engine to see how much oil pressure you're running?

And is the engine stock? Stock oil pump, relief pistons/springs, etc.
J P Stein
The thermostat on the scavenge side is there to keep cold oil away from an oil cooler.
The scavenge side is unregulated for pressure.

If your filter is upstream of the cooler,.......I'm confused.

My set up bypasses the oil cooler till the oil is hot. When cold, it goes thru the filter to the tank....the Mahle filter has a high pressure relief valve to bypass the filter element
should it overpressure....

A sketch or pic of your plumbing would be good
sixnotfour

This is a factor if he is plumed into the stock cooler inlet/outlet on the motor. The engine pressure is not a factor as the six engine has a 2 stage oil pump if he is using the scavenge cicut.

if it blows the factory oil cooler on the motor then the motor thermostat is bad or not there allowing cold engine oil to enter cooler.
how is your set up plumbed?
MattR
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 11 2006, 01:13 PM) *

This is a factor if he is plumed into the stock cooler inlet/outlet on the motor. The engine pressure is not a factor as the six engine has a 2 stage oil pump if he is using the scavenge cicut.

if it blows the factory oil cooler on the motor then the motor thermostat is bad or not there allowing cold engine oil to enter cooler.

Ahh, got it. All my 6 cyl experience comes on the same case, but with watercooled heads, cylinders, and oil cooler which has an integrated filter. The tank is a totally seperate ordeal.
dougcoup
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 11 2006, 12:13 PM) *

how is your set up plumbed?

I saw your post, and would like to discuss/learn more, as I am not sure I follow you.

The engine is not stock. Not sure what is done but it is a race engine 2.8L, 265hp.
I am using the stock on engine cooler with the patrick motorsports modification to allow me to hook up AN fitting.... I have that and the other fitting on the case lower in the circuit. I have it plumbed just like the patick website shows.
and am really sure it is right as when we take the remote front oil cooler out of the line it is fine. But I have tried two coolers and both make it blow.

email me directly and I can send you email with drawing of plumbing

dougcoup711@yahoo.com
J P Stein
I am totally confused by your descriptions.
Here is a pic of my thermostat and an explanation of what is going on here.

The line on the right is output from the scavenge pump....the fitting on the engine sump, pass side. The 2 lines diving into the heat duct are in/out from the oil cooler.
The lefthand line goes to the oil tank ...to which the oil filter is attached. The internal plumbing of the stock tank routes this oil thru the filter and then to the tank.
When cold, the oil goes in from the right and out to the left. When hot, the oil comes in from the right(still biggrin.gif ) then out the bottom fitting on the thremo to the oil cooler and returns to the top thremo fitting and then to the tank via the top fitting & lefthand line.

The thermo regulates temp via partial opening/closing thus at times oil is flowing thru all 4 lines at once. This particular thermo has a pressure relief valve that will bypass the oil cooler should there be an obstruction. It will not allow full flow of cold oil to the cooler.

Oil filters made for dry sump Porsches have a pressure relief valve which will open to shunt oil by the filter element and straight into the tank. The cold oil pressure on the scavenge side can be very high....165psi at cold start-up was observed by a fella I talked (internet) to.

Oh yeah, the pic
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.