Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC 2006 Caravan * July 4-5-6-7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
VegasRacer
July 1, 2, 3 - Is there anybody driving in to Vegas?
I know most of the usual suspects are taking a northern route via Salt Lake City.

July 4, Tuesday - I am leaving for La La Land sometime before noon.
Anybody gonna tag along?
BBQ at Team NARP Headquarters. chowtime.gif beerchug.gif jsharp.gif

July 5, Wednesday - Caravan leaves So. Cal. early AM. Who's in?
Joe will be towing up Hwy. 101. The pack of anxious teeners may take some jaunts up the coast on Hwy. 1. Our camping place for the night will be at Laguna Seca. ($20/car w/ showers & toilets) You are on your own if you want to get a motel in town.

July 6, Thursday - Early morning start. Head north. Hook up with Bay Area members.
??? Meeting times and locations ??? confused24.gif
Continue north on Hwy. 101. Our stop for the night will be Eureka, CA.
I guess we need to find a cheap / clean motel for our invasion.

July 7, Friday - A reasonable starting time for the final leg into Portland.
We cut over, take I-5 and arrive at the Monarch mid-afternoon.
rick 918-S
Very cool. Kind of a growing swarm of mid-engine madness as you head north.
boxstr
John I hope you all have a cell phone or some way to communicate between yourselves while driving.
Last year we had one or two speed freaks who kept getting ahead and then abrubtly lost in some small town on the way back from WCC 2005.
CCLINCARAVANTOHOTRODHELL
VegasRacer
Hi Rick. wavey.gif Hi Craig. wavey.gif Thanks for checking in guys. See you in a month.

I kinda wanted to hear from the peeps whose headlights and tail lights I will be looking at on the way there.
bernbomb914
Where in So Cal are we going to meet?

Bernie
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jun 7 2006, 08:15 AM) *

John I hope you all have a cell phone or some way to communicate between yourselves while driving.
Last year we had one or two speed freaks who kept getting ahead and then abrubtly lost in some small town on the way back from WCC 2005.
CCLINCARAVANTOHOTRODHELL

2-way radios are good as well, not only for the caravan here but also in the Mt. Hood drive. Since 2-ways share the same frequencies it's okay to have different brands, just pick a channel and test everyone's radio to make sure they can HEAR and TALK! Also pick a second channel for everyone, just in case.
VegasRacer
Joe's house in Huntington Beach I guess. blink.gif
Got a better idea? confused24.gif
Should we also have a pick-up point somewhere north of the city?

Are you pulling a trailer also Bernie?
bernbomb914
yes, I will be in the motor home and will want the most direct route because I am a Cheep Basturd and only get 6 miles to the gal and at 3.30 it gets expensive.

Bernie
GTeener
Well be leaving the Bay Area sometime Thurs. Morning/Afternoon undecided...
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Jun 7 2006, 09:30 AM) *

yes, I will be in the motor home and will want the most direct route because I am a Cheep Basturd and only get 6 miles to the gal and at 3.30 it gets expensive.

Bernie

I-5 all the way. Yesterday, where I get my gas (76), it's $3.199/gallon for 92 octane. However, last Friday it was $3.249/gallon! That hurt when FILLING the tank...
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif
VegasRacer
icon_bump.gif
WRX914
Damnit!

I sure am pissed that I am not going to be ready for this years WCC. Good news though, getting the 5-lug conversion, and the radiator lines ran, and the fuel line issues done this weekend! Should be done in about a month!

Cap'n Krusty
WCC Caravanners are hereby invited to stop for lunch with The Cap'n in Santa Maria.
SirAndy
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jun 7 2006, 04:12 AM) *

July 6, Thursday - Early morning start. Head north. Hook up with Bay Area members.
??? Meeting times and locations ??? confused24.gif
Continue north on Hwy. 101. Our stop for the night will be Eureka, CA.
I guess we need to find a cheap / clean motel for our invasion.

like suggested in the earlier thread, we should probably have 2 or 3 meeting points in the bay area ... like southbay and northbay ...

you guys want to avoid 101 from san jose all the way up past the golden gate, the by far best way is to split from 101 in san jose and take 880 up north, past oakland and berkeley (turns into 80 right after oakland) and then take 580 over the richmond bridge and merge back onto 101 ... that way, you avoid "the city" altogether ...

i don't know much about the southbay, but we could meet/pitstop in novato, there's a large shopping center right off the freeway with plenty of parking and food and gas and stuff ...

that would cover the eastbay/midbay/northbay guys ...
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
boxstr
Today Gary and Pam Chapman, Jim Chambers, Bruce Allert, Arron Gillihan and Jonathan Gillihan and I made a prerun on the Mt Hood to Hood River run. The two ways did pickup someone in one of the buildings that we were passing calling an employee and asking hiom to come to the office in 5 minutes. I answered back" forget it I am not coming in 5 minutes I will be their in 15 minutes" .
Otherwise they were not that great. Have a backup of cell phones.
Also watch speed in Oregon. The cops are out their.
Craig
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 14 2006, 06:37 PM) *

WCC Caravanners are hereby invited to stop for lunch with The Cap'n in Santa Maria.

Perfect. chowtime.gif Your offer is accepted. biggrin.gif
You pick a place. I am guessing we will roll through town about 12 or 1.

Sounds good Andy. thumb3d.gif We will follow your route. Novato it is. aktion035.gif What time should we target?
I'll wait for some South Bay peeps to chime in with a location.

My experience has been that the Personal Radios are good for 'line of sight', at best. Your first reply to someone is always "What was that again?". Still, they are worth having along. I plan to bring mine. Cell phones are a necessity. Anybody who wants my # can send me a PM.

So . . . . who else is in the So Cal group? confused24.gif
Anyone from San Diego comming up?
What about Joe's BBQ on the 4th? jsharp.gif
Is there anybody from north of L.A. who wants to jump in?
I guess I'm rollin' alone from Vegas for the first leg. burnout.gif
rhodyguy
yep, watch out for the white mustang gt with blue stripes in oregon. it/they have blue lights to match the stripes. late model cameros are sneaky when the trooper rolls up next to you and gives you the "slow things down" sign.

k
DNHunt
We saw a pickup in Oregon that had a guy pulled over on I-5. I thought that was really nasty.

Dave
olav
Are radar detectors legal in Oregon?
DNHunt
I don't know. I've never had one.

Dave
Toast
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jun 7 2006, 09:03 AM) *

I kinda wanted to hear from the peeps whose headlights and tail lights I will be looking at on the way there.

I told you once before to "quit looking at my headlights!"
shocked[1].gif

See ya at Joe's on July 4th!
Toast
like I suggested in the earlier thread, we should probably have 2 or 3 meeting points in the bay area ... like southbay and northbay ...

you guys want to avoid 101 from san jose all the way up past the golden gate, the by far best way is to split from 101 in san jose and take 880 up north, past oakland and berkeley (turns into 80 right after oakland) and then take 580 over the richmond bridge and merge back onto 101 ... that way, you avoid "the city" altogether ...

i don't know much about the southbay, but we could meet/pitstop in novato, there's a large shopping center right off the freeway with plenty of parking and food and gas and stuff ...

that would cover the eastbay/midbay/northbay guys

Good Idea! agree.gif
rhodyguy
nope. you guys HAVE to drive through san francisco. @5pm.

k
mightyohm
I'm interested in the caravan on the way up, but are there plans for the return trip or is it a free for all on the way home?

GTeener
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jun 21 2006, 03:40 PM) *

I'm interested in the caravan on the way up, but are there plans for the return trip or is it a free for all on the way home?

I think I have to drive our rig home alone. My parents plan on continuing on to Island Park, ID. So I'd really like to caravan back to the Peninsula pray.gif
mightyohm
What is everyone else in the bay planning to do? Fiid? Andy?

I am hoping to drive up with Kylie and then she is going to fly home on Sunday while I drive back. Something about 24 hours on the road and having to take an extra 2 days off work didn't fly well with her. biggrin.gif
JoeSharp
Maybe we should start a thread about caravaning home from the WCC. Jeff and Gewn, how much time do you want to take to get there?
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Air_Cooled_Nut
Radar and laser detectors are completely legal in Oregon, Washington and Idaho. California, too. Jammers are illegal in all 50. I know Virginia doesn't allow detectors even though their "laws" on this violate free monitoring of the airwaves mad.gif There is one or two other states that frown on detectors but they are not close to the west coast thank God.

Southern Oregon does have SUV cops cuz it's country down thar. High-speed pursuit cars are in southern and northern Oregon. But the real threats are the motorcycle cops...they ride BMW's! Speaking from personal experience, those bikes can really move shocked[1].gif
GTeener
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jun 22 2006, 09:06 AM) *

Maybe we should start a thread about caravaning home from the WCC. Jeff and Gewn, how much time do you want to take to get there?

Back to work on Monday if possible for me.
SirAndy
i was planning on taking it easy. mueller never got back to me about my offer to carpool, so i'm thinking about heading back home sunday, stay somewhere nice overnight and have a relaxed drive back monday ...

boldblue.gif Andy
JoeSharp
We are not leaving until Monday. With an esay drive back.
:PERMAGRIN:Joe
VegasRacer
As they say: "Getting there is half the fun". The other half will be the WCC itself. I guess the third half must be the drive home. wacko.gif I have my room booked again for Sunday night at the Monarch. The plan is to leave Portland on Monday. I would like to enjoy the day cruising the coast. I need to get some air-time with my kite, flying on the beach.

Tuesday - drive south. driving.gif enjoy. biggrin.gif

The next stop on my vacation is the License Plate Collector Club Convention in Ontario.
If I make it there on Wednesday - Great. It is OK if I don't arrive until Thursday.

VARA is racing at the California Speedway in Fontana on July 15th & 16th. smilie_flagge24.gif
I want to check it out on Saturday and/or Sunday afternoon(s).

The Pomona Swapmeet is on Sunday, July 16th.
Elvira and I will be there. smilie_pokal.gif

Monday it is back home to Vegas.
I will have a lot of photos to download/crop/edit/resize/post. type.gif

Back to work on Tuesday. flipa.gif owned.gif headbang.gif KMA.gif icon8.gif mad.gif barf.gif

Wednesday July 19th - Start planning my trip to the WCC 2007. piratenanner.gif
MoveQik
John, your trip sounds awesome. I would pay top dollar to have a trip like that right now! Instead I get(and I am thankful that I can even go at this point!!) a haul ass trip up there(2 days), then driving.gif driving.gif beerchug.gif drunk.gif beer3.gif drunk.gif beer3.gif icon8.gif barf.gif , then hand Joe my keys and get on a plane to fly home.
JoeSharp
Everybody make sure Mike gets all of the pictures of thier trip home .
:PERMGRIN: Joe
mightyohm
I'm probably going to be driving my wagon. I don't think the 914 will be ready in time. That means I will likely have room for a passenger or two.
MoveQik
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jun 22 2006, 11:03 PM) *

Everybody make sure Mike gets all of the pictures of thier trip home .
:PERMGRIN: Joe

Yeah...great....then let's tell me about how the trip home was a life changing experience and that none of the cars broke down. On top of that, there was a group of really rich chicks with huge t!ts that jumped in the caravan and were so turned on by our cars that they ran us off the road to have wild and crazy.......well nevermind. You get the idea. Thanks Joe!

See you in Portland!
Mueller
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 22 2006, 11:09 AM) *

i was planning on taking it easy. mueller never got back to me about my offer to carpool, so i'm thinking about heading back home sunday, stay somewhere nice overnight and have a relaxed drive back monday ...

boldblue.gif Andy

I thought I did...opps smile.gif

I talked to Mark yesterday (?), there was talk of us renting a mini-van or something like that....I need to be home late Sunday night or very, very early Monday morning
McMark
Mini Van with Mike, Andy, me, Andy's female, and possibly my female. Bruce Napier had to back out. Sorry Bruce! pinch.gif
GWN7
Price of the flight went up $200 from when I looked last week. Most airlines have a 14 day prebook or the flights go up big time. I had to make a descision that day. If I waited till after midnight (10Pm your time), it would have been too late to get a deal.

I really would have liked to join with the merry band of travllers on the trek up, an extra couple of WWC days. smile.gif

I have never driven in that part of the country. Next time smile.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(GTeener @ Jun 22 2006, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jun 22 2006, 09:06 AM) *

Back to work on Monday if possible for me.

I was wrong...I actually DID request Monday off from work. That was good thinking of me biggrin.gif

So I can be more leisurely on the drive home too cool.gif

We have the room booked 7-9 and the Monarch.

Also, since I will be solo on the way home, I'll have lots of room for passengers in Truckula (our Excursion) in case anyone needs a ride back to the Bay Area.
VegasRacer
Time for a icon_bump.gif
JoeSharp
1 WEEK To Go.
GTeener
QUOTE(GTeener @ Jun 23 2006, 10:00 AM) *

Also, since I will be solo on the way home, I'll have lots of room for passengers in Truckula (our Excursion) in case anyone needs a ride back to the Bay Area.

Revision: Turns out the folks changed their plans for a continuation to Island Park, so.... I won't be driving the rig home solo afterall.
mightyohm
My plans have changed (a lot) so Kylie and I will be flying up and renting a car in Portland. We are thankful that we can still make the event, for a while it looked like we weren't going to be able to (hooray for cheap last minute flights).
VegasRacer
Gwen? Andy? Anybody? IPB Image
Are we going to be able to hook-up and caravan to Portland?
GTeener
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jul 3 2006, 03:41 AM) *

Gwen? Andy? Anybody? IPB Image
Are we going to be able to hook-up and caravan to Portland?

My folks want to cruise up slowly, so we're leaving before 4p on Weds.

We'll be the black Excursion with red 18' Big Tex open trailer, when you pass us wink.gif
jimtab
Does anyone who is going to be in the caravan want to give up a cell number so we can track the peleton and find out when and where to meet before going north together...has anyone checked on a place to house us in the Eureka arera? I'd be glad to make a couple of calls....the hour grows late....
VegasRacer
My cell # is (7O2) 34O-34O5. call me.gif

We don't have a motel lined up in Eureka.
fiid
Hey,

I PMed VegasRacer and JimTab my cell #. I should be joining in Novato... (that still the plan?)

Are we taking FRS radios? I have a couple I can bring along.... 10-4 Rubber Duck.. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.