Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk putty?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
Click to view attachment Not having looked under the rear trunk pad of an early 914 recently(if at all), I've often wondered about the little areas in my rear trunk that seem to be filled/covered/applied with a black, pliable substance that has the consistency of.....putty? Determining whether to repaint the original paint and finish of what is otherwise a reasonably preserved trunk has me wondering if leaving the trunk "original" as finished by the factory might be better than refinishing and spraying it over.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 7 2006, 09:09 PM) *

Click to view attachment Not having looked under the rear trunk pad of an early 914 recently(if at all), I've often wondered about the little areas in my rear trunk that seem to be filled/covered/applied with a black, pliable substance that has the consistency of.....putty? Determining whether to repaint the original paint and finish of what is otherwise a reasonably preserved trunk has me wondering if leaving the trunk "original" as finished by the factory might be better than refinishing and spraying it over.

icon_bump.gif
It WAS painted by THE FACTORY & apparently some of it has chipped off - that's all. The "putty" is actually a weld seamer & is paintable. We all have it - nothing unusaual, but good thing to bring up - Paulie!
Pat Garvey
biggrin.gif
By the way, I forgot to mention that your is a pretty remarkable rear "boot" for a '70. How's that for a "nice" thing to say? Oh, by the wat too bad about the........................................................., just kidding! You are sooo sensitive!
1970 Neun vierzehn
I find it difficult to believe that this material was ever painted. If it had been, I'd suspect that there would've been miniscule paint particles embedded in this soft, pliable material. In the 30+ years I've had this car, I've never seen evidence of paint on this "putty". Since it is beneath the carpet mat for the most part, it has been protected from that which has been put in the rear oven(trunk). And if it were a seam sealing material, why is it just in a few, minor spots? Looking at the photo, you can see where the factory had swathed certain areas of the trunk with some sort of thick, irregular application of ........what? Mastik, caulk, resin hardener?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 7 2006, 09:49 PM) *

I find it difficult to believe that this material was ever painted. If it had been, I'd suspect that there would've been miniscule paint particles embedded in this soft, pliable material. In the 30+ years I've had this car, I've never seen evidence of paint on this "putty". Since it is beneath the carpet mat for the most part, it has been protected from that which has been put in the rear oven(trunk). And if it were a seam sealing material, why is it just in a few, minor spots? Looking at the photo, you can see where the factory had swathed certain areas of the trunk with some sort of thick, irregular application of ........what? Mastik, caulk, resin hardener?

OK, you won't believe me so I'll leave to the experts. Please people, chime in here!
sixerdon
I've got the same issue with one of my sixes. 1970 model as yours is. It's a rubberized seam sealer the factory applied before painting. It's been discussed frequently in the "garage" whenever someone wants to remove it. It has to be ground off. I think Eastwood sells the stuff. Brushed on application. Mine hasn't changed over 16 years so I'm leaving it alone. Every 914 has a different look to it. Some workers were sloppy with it and got it everywhere before they painted.

Don
1970 Neun vierzehn
No, all the painted material in the trunk is clean, solid and rock hard. Those half-dozen or so, small black "spots" that you see in the trunk are a soft pliable material that appear never to have been painted. The heavy, "brushed" on material that you see painted is as hard as the metal in the trunk. This black stuff has never been hard and never been painted.
tod914
Why not just remove the black stuff and see if there is paint under it?
Ferg
What's your vin #... I've found that the very early cars used a different type of seam sealer in the trunks along the seams, and it was MORE plyable and softer than the later cars, and it also looks like it was squezed out of a toothpaste tube, vs sprayed from a gun on the later cars.

I just inspected a very early 12/69 build date car that confirmed this, compared to my 71.

On the car I inspected the same thing, in places paint missing and I could squish it with my fingers.

Ferg
1970 Neun vierzehn
Ferg,
Yes, you understand. clap56.gif v.i.n. #4702903114 Blt 01.70. You understand that this is not the stuff that's slathered around the various manufacturing openings that on the early cars looks like its been applied with a brush. On later cars, this sealer, as its been called, looks as if its been applied with a pressure spray applicator. Your description that it appears to be squeezed out of a tube is correct. What's its purpose? If it's supposed to be seam sealer, why didn't the factory use the same stuff that's hardened and painted over as seen in the first picture?
BS Chairman
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 8 2006, 06:22 AM) *

No, all the painted material in the trunk is clean, solid and rock hard. Those half-dozen or so, small black "spots" that you see in the trunk are a soft pliable material that appear never to have been painted. The heavy, "brushed" on material that you see painted is as hard as the metal in the trunk. This black stuff has never been hard and never been painted.

1970 Neun vierzehn,
I'm and old "Factory Rat" that started at Fisher Body in 1965 Pontiac with the GTOs in the Trim shop. I was and AR who did your job when you missed a day. But, when all worked ARs were loan out to the paint shop. I spend a lot of there on the seal lines. The black rubber that you say was never painted I believe was, as it was appiled to all seams before painting, as was the hard sealer. If you are the first owner I would think that at dealer prep the paint was knocked off before delivery. I can't see Porsche or VW (which one you chose) QC allowing that to leave their plant with paint missing. I looked in my trunk and the rubber is also soft if push on, but, the paint is in tack! So that sealer never sets up I guess we can say.
Gary
PS If you look under the carpet of some GTOs you might find "GS" beer.gif in hard sealer!
1970 Neun vierzehn
Talk about serendipity! A guy who used to work for PORSCHE(in distribution)walks into my office, we start talking, the conversation drifts off into car restorations and then I show him the trunk photos of my car. Now he worked for PORSCHE after 914 production ceased, but is familiar with the cars and some basic mfg techniques. He sez that after the car is all but finished, the QC guys go over it. If they weren't completely satisfied with body seals, they'd squeeze some pliable sealant out of a tube in the appropriate places. He sez that at this point, the car is far past paint application and most, if not all the trim, is in place. Since the area in question is/will be ultimately covered with a carpeted trunk mat, no effort need be expended to cover the few sealed points. That would explain why there is no trace or evidence whatsoever that this sealant was ever painted over. I believe I will NOT repaint the trunk area.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 8 2006, 02:36 PM) *

Talk about serendipity! A guy who used to work for PORSCHE(in distribution)walks into my office, we start talking, the conversation drifts off into car restorations and then I show him the trunk photos of my car. Now he worked for PORSCHE after 914 production ceased, but is familiar with the cars and some basic mfg techniques. He sez that after the car is all but finished, the QC guys go over it. If they weren't completely satisfied with body seals, they'd squeeze some pliable sealant out of a tube in the appropriate places. He sez that at this point, the car is far past paint application and most, if not all the trim, is in place. Since the area in question is/will be ultimately covered with a carpeted trunk mat, no effort need be expended to cover the few sealed points. That would explain why there is no trace or evidence whatsoever that this sealant was ever painted over. I believe I will NOT repaint the trunk area.

WTF.gif
Why? And, how far do plan on going with your restoration? If you're going to get deep into it, why not respray the trunk, engine compartment, front trunk?
Or is the restoration only a partial? What's your goal?

By the way, now that you have a high-grade digital camera, how about a close-up of one of these post-paint sealant spots?
sixerdon
Yes, I agree. Some close up pictures if you can. One of my sixes has a 01/70 build date. The other 03/70.
BTW Paul, did your car come with or without the rubber shock covers? I don't know if you are the O.O.

Don
1970 Neun vierzehn
Don,
I bought #4702903114 in July 1975 from the original owner who took delivery in Jan. 1970. I've got the original burgundy service book. The car, w/appearance group, did not have fog lights from the factory, they were dealer installed. It did not have rear shock covers, nor was it delivered with the tethered foot rest, allthough the "ring" is there. It did have the vinyl covered roll bar, chrome bumpers and leather covered s/w.
sixerdon
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 9 2006, 04:30 PM) *

Don,
I bought #4702903114 in July 1975 from the original owner who took delivery in Jan. 1970. I've got the original burgundy service book. The car, w/appearance group, did not have fog lights from the factory, they were dealer installed. It did not have rear shock covers, nor was it delivered with the tethered foot rest, allthough the "ring" is there. It did have the vinyl covered roll bar, chrome bumpers and leather covered s/w.

Thanks Paul,
I've always been curious whether the very early cars came with the rubber shock covers as mine were not there 16 years ago. My six also did not have the circuit board cover like many early photo's show. It has one now. A worn foot rest was with the car. I have also heard that the fog lights were not available for the first 500 or so sixes which would bring the build date through Feb '70.
Now here's another question for you. If you have the original front carpets, do they have the button holes? My original carpet does not. No buttons on the floor to secure the carpet. Seems Karmann didn't add that until March.

Don
1970 Neun vierzehn
Don,
Though the picture doesn't show the entire carpet area, the carpeting is original and there is no hole(s) in them.
sixerdon
Paul,
Good to know. Those button holes would be in the rear corner of the carpets just in front of the cross member. You'll have to see a later model to see the difference.
Your car and my car #0137 are the same color with similar Karmann details.
I've been told by a mechanic who worked on it 36 years ago that it was the first six sold in New England.

Don
1970 Neun vierzehn
Well, this thread is almost a year old now, and here's what is being done about the "trunk putty" dilemma.......
BS Chairman
Paul, please tell us that you are putting new sealer back on to match the old. Your car looks like it's coming along. When do you hope for paint?
Gary
1970 Neun vierzehn
The new seam sealer will be identical to original. The application will be no more, nor less, than what was originally on the car when manufactured.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Finishing the rear trunk......
jonferns
that looks amazing...great work....what kind of paint did you use??? ---JON
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 13 2007, 07:52 PM) *

Finishing the rear trunk......

Looking really nice, Paul.

Single stage paint?

Brings up a question here. I should know the answer, but I don't. Was always taught to ask questions if you didn't know the answer.

The seam sealer - is it applied to the bottom of the panels also? Can't tell from mine because it's rustproofed.
Pat
Eric_Shea
Looks good Paul.

And Ferg was spot on earlier. In 1970 they used seam sealer out of a tube and then spread it around with a brush or applicator of sorts. Later cars got the spray on version.

Now... for the real question; are you going to go around and duplicate the factory touch up with the black sealant? wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.