Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Product Review: Dlee Tow bar setup
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
So guys, the time has come again for a product revirew. Today's Item happens to be the "DLee tow bar system" as shown and sold in the resources forum.

Product Fit and Finish:
A+ all the holes lined up first try. everything is perfectly square, and must be welded on a jig. Nice painted finish, and some nice welds...

Ease of Install :

on a 1-10 scale. a 2.
everything fit perfectly. all the holes were in the perfect spot, all the towing mounts are dead on. just remove old six bolts and attach the bar, and put the supplied hardware in. DONE. very easy...

here are some pics, i havent towed with it as of yet, but from what i read from others, i look forward to it smile.gif

The Bar....
IPB Image

I had david weld on some racer tow hooks, to make it easy to strap down on a trailer or to use safety chains.
IPB Image

again...
IPB Image

another view...
IPB Image

installed
IPB Image

i might need to take better pics.... sad.gif
IPB Image

Pinned and ready to roll with Super Beetle Tow Bar....
IPB Image

again...
IPB Image

how it attaches
IPB Image

URY914
I think the weak link is now that tow bar.

Otherwise that looks slick. clap56.gif
Aaron Cox
the DLEE kit is made of 3/8" steel bar....

the weak link is the TUB LOL
dlee1967
Thanks for the write up Aaron. To address the comment of the bar being the wink link, I would have to agree. This is why I also produce a bracket designed for the much beefier Reese/Valley/DrawTite bar. I have to say that I sell the Empi style over the Reese style 2 to 1. But the cost of the Reese bar is more than double the Empi bar.

Back to the shop........more items to come..... welder.gif
URY914
If it weren't for those tinky little tabs welded to the top of the tow bar it would be OK.
Couldn't you just beef those up?
Mueller
nice !!!!!

crazy idea...how about installing studs into the chassis, that way, it would be easier/quicker to install/uninstall the bar????
Aaron Cox
you dont even need a jack smile.gif

and URY, the beetle bar is like 1/4" plate....
Cornholio
Cool, now you can tow it to Barbeques and put it up on jackstands just like at home.......
Aaron Cox
or i can go fech it at ease in the pickup if it dies LOL

i liked the manfred tow setup... now my AX pond has gotten larger smile.gif
URY914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 7 2006, 06:16 PM) *

you dont even need a jack smile.gif

and URY, the beetle bar is like 1/4" plate....

But look at the hole, it is less than a 1/4" from the edge of the plate. Thickness don't mean shit if you have a hole right on the edge of the plate. Just weld some stock plate to it.

dlee1967
Mike, I think you missed the concept a bit. ( I could be wrong?) You don't need to use studs to mount the bracket to take it off quickly. It stays on the car and you use a pin on the bar for the quick release of the bar. Who wants to crawl underneath every time you want to tow?

Is that what you meant or did you have another idea?
Gint
Just outa curiousity Aa, when did you purchase your bar?
Demick
I bought the draw-tite version from David. Installed with no problems. I haven't had a chance to hook up the towbar yet and try it out, but the bracket is installed on the car and ready to go. Bracket is very beefy. Suspension would be torn off the car before the bracket gives.

Demick
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 7 2006, 08:15 PM) *

Just outa curiousity Aa, when did you purchase your bar?

a week ago...

he made it to order, and ups took a few days smile.gif smiley_notworthy.gif
DanT
700+ miles witih David's tow bracket and superbeetle tow bar.
works great.
No issues with bracket or tow bar. I check both carefully after each trip.

No cracks, bends, or stress fractures.

works great with hardwire for tail/turn/running lights....no magnetic lights for me smile.gif driving.gif
blitZ
I purchased David's towbar after my car had broken down several times. I towed the car home with chain and realized I need a safer method. It's a solid thought out piece, which works well. After installing, my car hasn't broken down since. thumb3d.gif
bwilless
Dan,

How did you do the hardwire connection? I have the magnetic lights and they are a pain.

Thanks,

Brian

"works great with hardwire for tail/turn/running lights....no magnetic lights for me"
ThinAir
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jun 7 2006, 10:25 PM) *

works great with hardwire for tail/turn/running lights....no magnetic lights for me smile.gif driving.gif

Dan - Just how do you hook up the internal lights so they can be used for towing instead of the magnetic lights? I'll be mounting my bar next week in preparation for WCC06, but I still need to get the lights taken car of. I'd prefer to not use the magnetic lights so some advice would be appreciated.
Aaron Cox
could you still run a 20 foot harness into the trunk of the car... and use biggy back spade connectors to tap into the tail lights????
DanT
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 8 2006, 10:08 PM) *

could you still run a 20 foot harness into the trunk of the car... and use biggy back spade connectors to tap into the tail lights????

Nope, can't do it that way because you get feed back from the tow vehicles electical system leading to problems with your teeners electrical system....

You have to use diodes...to eliminate this problem..

here is a sample of what I used very successfully....

From Roadmaster

I used the Hy-power diodes, 4 of them...

Along with a 4 wire harness to the rear trunk...hooked up to brake lights...using them and the diodes you can get running/turn/brake

works great with no magnetic stuff.
pete-stevers
looks like a slick set up!!!
ThinAir
For those who have done their install already... how did you do your safety chains? did you attach them just to the towbar or did you run them back to attach to the car? Can you post a picture of what you did?

I'm installing mine this weekend and want to get everything done and tested so it's ready to head for WCC06! driving.gif (need a towing smiley!)

So this smiley is entirely OT, but I just found it and it's just too cool to pass on using! robot.gif
Aaron Cox
i use the pins or the cool hooks i had david add....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.