Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need advice on buying a 914 1.7l
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lowdown
After reading through some postings... I came to the right place.
I'm looking at a very clean 1972 914 w/ 1.7l. 0 signs of rust. 0 signs of work. It looks like it was kept in a vacuum sealed room. Love the car. Not a power house. Not as responsive as I would like. But there are lots of mod's. I can fix that part. 114000 miles. I attached a picture. The asking price is $6200. Can I get some input? confused24.gif
SLITS
In my book, just a tad steep on the price unless they have the maintenance records from day one. At 114K, you're approaching the usefull life of the engine / trans unless it was VERY well maintained.

But then I am a cheap ass son of a...........

elwood-914
Go ahead, you'll fall in love with these cars and pour ALOT more money into it. driving.gif
Cornholio
5K....
SLITS
QUOTE(Cornholio @ Jun 7 2006, 07:41 PM) *

5K....

That's the price after you buy it for 3K and flip it...........
Gint
Cheap sumbeaches...

If it really looks like it was kept in a vacuum, then it could actually be worth $6200. And it certainly will be in a couple of years if you maintain it in it's current state. And that motor can easily go another 50k if it's been well maintained and not abused (as cheapo SLITS indicated).

Post more pics!!!
lowdown
Here are all the pics I have. I thought it was a little $y but... MAN IS SHE PURDY drooley.gif
Unfortunately I don't have a lot info... they said it was driven by a little old lady to and from church...
lotus_65
have you read the big bird tech stuff?
i'd get someone who has been through an engine swap, hell hole repair and pedal rebuild to come out with you for a ppi.
get it up on a lift, pull the h.e.'s and inspect everything.

from what i hear, you can buy a $15,000 porsche, or buy one that will end up costing $15,000! laugh.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

You are a newbe, ask for some help. We have lots of members in In. for a Personal Inspection. Where in In. is Avon? I would help ,but just sold my house and need to be out by July 15th. If it is rust free in the hell hole and longitudinals it is worth the price ,IMO. COME ON GUYS !!!
Dave slap.gif welcome.png
Gint
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jun 8 2006, 04:58 AM) *
If it is rust free in the hell hole and longitudinals it is worth the price ,IMO. COME ON GUYS !!!

There's a man that knows what he's talking about. Have it checked out. If it's as clean as you say, and solid, it's worth the $$$.
drewvw
IMO, if it really has no rust in the HH and longs it probably is worth that (esp out east) but its hard to justify paying that much for a 1.7.

I recently bought one that probably is in a little worse shape (interior needs work, minor rust, etc) and it was 5K.

whats the story on the tail dragger right next to it? biggrin.gif
ninefourteener
I bought mine for $7500.... Steep?? Maybe a little... but you can't base the value of a 914 on recent eBay selling prices alone. Most folks don't actually SEE and DRIVE cars that they purchase from eBay, so of course the prices are lower, because you have to allow for "hidden" items.

I actually SAW and DROVE my car. When I say "rust free", I mean it... I couldn't find a drop, anywhere... not the hell hole, not the battery tray, not the longs, not the rear trunk, etc... nothing.

Plus.... he had reciepts for a $4500 engine build less than a year before I bought it... that helped my decision. Car is currently running like crap.. I think its bad gas, or clogged carbs, but thats just because I haven't really had the time to dig into it. BUT..... this is the 3rd year I've owned it, and so far, the only maintenance I've done is a battery.

You get what you pay for. If the car is TRULY what you say it is, then I'd say it's worth every penny. Get a PPI, put it up on a lift and check for rust. If the paint is in great shape, the engine runs good, and it is as rust free as you say it is..... SNATCH IT!!

Of course, I'd open with a $5500 offer....... but thats just common car-buying strategy... If they refuse to go down, give it to them anyway.

Best of luck!!
lowdown
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 8 2006, 09:27 AM) *

If it is rust free in the hell hole and longitudinals it is worth the price ,IMO. COME ON GUYS !!!

There's a man that knows what he's talking about. Have it checked out. If it's as clean as you say, and solid, it's worth the $$$.

You guys are awsome. Thanks! clap56.gif
nycchef
if you love the car buy it. you have the best support on this site you'll ever see. i got mine 8 weeks ago and these guys have helped me through a boat load of problems. it will probably need work and more money in it but thats the 914.p.s. don,t worry about the 1.7, these nuts will have you putting in a 2.0 before you know it. good luck
watsonrx13
IF the car is in the excellent condition that you assume, then yes, the car is that valuable. These cars are appreciating dramatically in price. You can no longer purchase a very good car for $2500. There are too many people fixing/restoring these vehicle for thousands of dollars.... But, definately have a local member inspect the vehicle before you purchase.... Good luck and let us know how it turns out....

BTW welcome.png

-- Rob
hellsbend
QUOTE(lowdown @ Jun 8 2006, 10:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 8 2006, 09:27 AM) *

You guys are awsome. Thanks! clap56.gif

you did check the underside of the front trunk weatherstrip channel, underneath the trailing edge of the rear trunk carpet, the lower section of the vynal on the sail panels for ANY bumps, and popped the jack hole plugs to make sure the lift tube is centered in the rocker panel hole? If all that's good and the engine does'nt smoke on hard deceleration the car is probably worth it-but start saving for the upcoming rebuild-1st and reverse don't grind too?
lowdown
ALL!

Thank you for your advice and tips. I had the car looked at yesterday. Though it is in great shape, From the bottom side it is absolutely not rust free. It's easy to fix what you can see on the surface. It is at the point where it would be perfect to restore, but they are not willing to negotiate much on the price. If any of you here of a good deal in Indiana... let me know. For now I must keep looking. You guys ROCK! clap56.gif

lowdown
Thanks, BarberDave. I had it done yesterday and it saved me some disappointment. Avon is on the Westside of Indy, and is the first town in Hendricks Co.
lowdown
QUOTE(drewvw @ Jun 8 2006, 09:42 AM) *

IMO, if it really has no rust in the HH and longs it probably is worth that (esp out east) but its hard to justify paying that much for a 1.7.

I recently bought one that probably is in a little worse shape (interior needs work, minor rust, etc) and it was 5K.

whats the story on the tail dragger right next to it? biggrin.gif

Sold. But he has a blue one that is so clean that the underneath has most of the original paint. Cali car... babied. around $15500
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.