Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Retrofitting points
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stuart
So in one of my greater acts of brilliance, I left the key turned on all day and night yesterday, and am pretty sure I fried my pertronix ignitor. piratenanner.gif

I'm not too interested in replacing the unit, and I was thinking of putting points back in. The ignitor was installed by the previous owner, so I was wondering if I'll need anything else besides points and condenser for the retrofit? Also, is there any chance that I murdered the coil, or does that only happen with points?

Thanks!
Gint
Points and condensor should drop right back in. As for the coil, anything is possible.
So.Cal.914
Was the coil really hot? One of the best additions to my car was electronic ignition.

It started so much easer, especially in the morning. No more "in the middle of

nowhere" point adjustings just to get home. And a tune up consists of plugs,

oh thats it, unless it is a 5000 mi major tune. Now it's your car and you should

do what is going to make you happy (did I mention that my fuel economy

improved?) and if points does it for you( and performance too.) than by all means

put them back in. wacko.gif
stuart
Thanks for the info guys!
I guess I forgot to mention that I'm planning to ride around w/ points until I've saved up enough for a Mallory distributor, which I've heard is a better alternative than the pertronix ignitor.
Gint
QUOTE(stuart @ Jun 8 2006, 09:11 AM) *

Thanks for the info guys!
I guess I forgot to mention that I'm planning to ride around w/ points until I've saved up enough for a Mallory distributor, which I've heard is a better alternative than the pertronix ignitor.

I'll let you know as soon as I get mine installed. Which will likely be sooner than you get one purchased since I already own it.
So.Cal.914
Please do, inquiring minds want to know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.