Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another tire/fender question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
i'm going to go for 8" in the front and 9" in the back.
but it seems like the choice of tires in the 15" size is limited.
i would like to get 245 in the front and 285 in the back.
now it looks like 16" (or bigger) wheels and tires are easier to come by.

i did some photoshop to see how it would look like if i
made my flares a bit more round to go with the bigger wheels.
anyone ever done something like this?
i would like to see some real-life pictures.
the closest i found so far is Jason's car with her rabbit-flares.

later,
Andy

BEFORE:

IPB Image

AFTER:
Jeroen
Hey Andy,

I like the "DTM" kinda look of the rabit flares
Dunno 'bout making the GT-flares full radius

You'd definately need to create fenderlips (big job on steel, easier on f/g) to give them some strength

Why not put some 17" wheels on the car?

cheers,

Jeroen
Dave_Darling
Aaahhhndy, why do you think you need to make larger fender openings for larger wheels? Remember, you can just put shorter sidewalls on the tires and have the same overall diameter!

And even if you don't, there should be room in the fenders for some extra...

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 24 2003, 01:53 PM)
Aaahhhndy, why do you think you need to make larger fender openings for larger wheels?

because i kinda like the look rolleyes.gif

plus, large wheel diameters and very short sidewalls just don't look right either.
plus, i've seen the pix where, in the front, the tire was hitting the fender when hitting a bump while cornering.

rick 918-S
I like it. I know what you mean about the short sidewalls on a 914. Too rice boy for me.
Van914
Andy,
This car had 16 X 7 Fuchs under the fenders. It was modified by Stoddards.
seanery
I remember this car, actually bid on it a couple times.

If you could see the profile from the rear you would see some slight flaring ala 911 SC that allows the the 7's.

Great looking car!!
Van914
Seanery,
I also tried to buy this car twice. Once before the dealer bought it and repainted it and once after. I was told that the dealer let it go way under what they were asking on Ebay. sad.gif
airsix
plus, large wheel diameters and very short sidewalls just don't look right either.
plus, i've seen the pix where, in the front, the tire was hitting the fender when hitting a bump while cornering.

Looks? Looks? I don't know what you guys are talking about. You do whatever gives you the best times. Right? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If it lowers my times it looks good. ph34r.gif Like JP (acctually I did mine first) I hammered out my fenders to fit 245/45-16 and 225/50-16's. Lowered my times by 8 seconds on a 1.25 mile course. Mmmmm... MMmmmm...Mmmm does that look GOOD! biggrin.gif
J P Stein
I agree with Ben as far as looks go and he's the guy to blame for all my posts on flaring fenders mit hammer and dolly.

Whut I learnt:

In the rear, width is the problem. There's only so much room in there between the inner and outer fender. To go "fat" ya gotta make it wider through out
the suspension travel. A 5 inch backset wheel/tire combo is about the max that will clear the inner fender(specially if you dial in some negative camber).

At the front, height (tire dia) is the big problem. Big tires fit in the hole, you just can't turn em'. I pushed the metal out as far as I could...then cut an inch of metal out of the top of the opening, *while maintaining the shape of the opening.* The inner fender doesn't seem to be a problem.

Keeping the tires as short (small dia) helps at both ends. The 225 X 50 X 15s (23.5 dia) fit good at both ends.
225 X 45 Hoosiers *should be* a snap, tho, I am told,
they are a bit wider.
Lowering the car dosen't help clearance issues one damn bit....but gives free negative camber....so I dodit.

Certain sanctioning bodies take a dim view of reshaped fender openings.
The Sheridan body kit is specifically make to comply with SCCA GT rules (which seem to be the most stringent), from the fender opening, width taper at the doors and front bumper rules....clever SOBs, eh?
The 914 GT flares were shaped the way they are for the same reasons. John Kelly's flares are lookin' good
from this aspect also. There is too much bondo on my car to even try em' tho. Better take me off the list John.
silver six
Andy,

I like the photoshopped flares with the round cut out. I think it is much improved over the regular flares. The regular flares are so buldgy and ugly I refuse to run them even with the potential performance possibilities they provide.

But my favorite fenders are from the 914-8. I wish they made these fenders in steel. I would likely step up and buy a set.

Douglas
silver six
Another.
dgw
All I can say is 8 and 9 x 16 work just fine. Thats whats on my car.
dgw
And it looks a lot like yours, except I don't have my rear spoiler on yet. Haven't quite figured out how to do that yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.