Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Thoughts/Values
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Didnt make many of them,Many of them lost to rust/accidents,These should be a winner in the collector car market,What do you think......
redshift
I strongly disagree.

M
SirAndy
QUOTE(redshift @ Jun 7 2006, 10:58 PM) *

I strongly disagree

av-943.gif

give it another 10 years or so ...
wink.gif Andy
olav
QUOTE(914 @ Jun 7 2006, 09:20 PM) *

Didnt make many of them,Many of them lost to rust/accidents,These should be a winner in the collector car market,What do you think......

Just in the last 4 years the values seemed to have doubled.
boxstr
The 914-6 and the 914-4 are making a strong showing in the sports car market. But they have to be very nice examples of the breed.
Sports Car Market magazine has a value guide each year and the 914 4&6 are strong in resale.
If you want some actual proof look at the 914s that I have sold at http://www.camp914.com
You don't see me laughing. I think it is great for the owners who have maintained their cars to a standard that potential purchasers will see as a plus and will be willing to spend more to get a really nice 914.
CCLINSOLDISAGOODTHING
Cornholio
Even the conversions are doing well....that is...the well done 914/6 conversions.
RON S.
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 7 2006, 10:38 PM) *

QUOTE(redshift @ Jun 7 2006, 10:58 PM) *

I strongly disagree

av-943.gif

give it another 10 years or so ...
wink.gif Andy

I believe that 914/6's are equivalent to the street rod market.

Meaning,a bone stock 2.0l 6r will have a value of X.slowly appreciating over time.However,a limited appeal cause of having no upgrades over it's lifetime.

Now,start modifying it. A 2.4,3.0,3.2 or 3.6l plus transmission & suspension upgrades and the appeal widens.The value goes up accordingly.

2.0l worth 10-15k on condition.

3.0l plus body & suspension extra's what do you figure 15-18k.

Now a 3.2l plus body & suspension extras 20-25k doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

3.6l full bore boogitty-boogitty 25k+ easy.

Of course,we are taking original -6 tubs only.

JM2CW

Ron
Porsche Rescue
As an owner and former owner of 5 factory sixes and 1 conversion, I believe the opposite. Bone stock, unmodified, original color factory six vs conversion in equal condition, the stocker will bring more money every time. Buy a stocker at today's market and it will be worth more in the future. However, it is very easy to put a lot of money into a properly done big engine conversion, but difficult, if not impossible to get your money back.
jd74914
I would tend to agree with Jim C. I think it is like the case in contemporary muscle car values. The collectors who have more money to spend seem suck up the original cars as investments or showcars, while the enthusiasts who drive spend less money for equal condition modified cars. The originals seem like cars which most people aspire to own, while many want the conversions to stay within purchase distance so these prices aren't pushed up. I would think that conversions will always fetch less as with enough money you can always build one to your own specs, as oposed to buying one acclamated to someone else's tastes.

So, IMO the stockers are a better investment than the modified/conversions as far as initial investment vs. return is concerned.

Anyways, I hope my rambling made sense.
turboman808
Heck I would be more then happy if I got my money back if I ever deciede to sell.
Guys,
I just bought the six what was on the for sale board here,The six has 75K orginal miles/orginal service records/toolkit ect. Ive been looking for one
for quite some time,There really hard to find. How many do you think are left in orginal condition ? Do most sixes leak oil? Or may I say All porsches leak oil.
DonTraver
I don't think there are too many original 6's left. I would guess less than 200, that's just a guess, so don't anyone get their panties in a bunch. Just my observation. Mine is basically all stock, but I have made some minor changes, like making special fittings on the engine to run digital gages, radio, paint, etc. But all the numbers still match on the engine, tranny, body. It really depends on how close to off the factory line you want it.

As far as leaks, yeah, it's a 36 year old engine. Wait, they're not leaks, it's just marking it's spot.

Everytime I go to any 914club get together, I start thinking, I want to do that to mine, bigger engine, flares, etc. Then I cool down and remember there just aren't too many left that are pretty much original. So I calm down. The work I see on the teeners at the meets is very impressive. The qualityand attention to detail, we truly have some artistry in iron going on here. You should all be proud of your work, I am.

Historically, stock has always gotten higher prices than modified, that to is a observation, the above applies, lol.

Later, Don
VintageExcellence
I have a 73 914 six conversion with a 3.2 in it done right with everything modified. I can easily get $15k for the car. It has been nagging me that I have so much knowledge of 914-6 but my car is just a clone.

So I just bought a real 914-6 #200 out of Texas for $9000. Its a core car, needs everything, but a excellent 100% original start that has been sitting for 30years in a garage.

I though about stock resto, but come on guys the 914-6 is a incredible car that was factory underpowered. Porshce killed the market on 914-6 cars by putting the weakest POS 6cyl engine ever made in it. Only 110 hp, terrible. So the power must be upped, the 14" fuchs are not only ugle but you can't get good tires for them. The suspension and brakes are on part with a base 911 of similar years but can definatly use improvement.

I am a long time 914 buff, I have built 3 914-6 conversions and my current conversion is awsome with 250hp and 996 brakes. My belief on the value of a real 914-6 is that the stock will always be admired and valuable, the wild 914-6 custom car will be worth a bit more for a while and then decline, I would consider that a real 914-6 that is done up like say a 914-6S or 914-6RS as if Porsche would have built it but never did.... these cars may actually be worth much much more than bone stock 914-6 cars. I think modified but period correct will bring the much dollars on the future.

I will tell you my reasoning, true the American Muscle cars are shooting way up in value. I just sold a 68 Camaro Z28 numbersmatching perfect car for $86,000 at the last Barrett Jackson (I was hoping for $65k). But a 6cyl Camaro in perfect condition is worth $7 or possibly nothing. A nicely equipped V8 4spd Camaro that is correct can be had for $20k. A big block numbers matching 4spd car can be worth $60-80k but then add $20k if it is a convertible. If you notive the super delux rare cars are woth more than stockers because they are much more fun! Just because you have a nice Camaro even with numbers matching then it doesn't mean it can compete with a Z28 Camaro.

The 914-6 is not a super exciting car in stock form and there are no special editions or different engines, however there are factory supplied kits to build GT cars and modify the good base car the Porsche would never let beat their primary marque the 911. So Porsche supplied the means for individuals to build wild cars and never really hurt the mainstream sales of the 911. Therefore I think you can modify these cars with steel flares and big engines (although to make the most value you would need a high power 1970 motor (probably with MFI) install wild Fuchs alloys (but 15" wheels only), an d basically build a 914-6S.

All of this will make you car worth much more than a stock six beacue now you have a fun car with parts made by Porsche. I hope this is what the case is because I am doing this to my factory six very soon.

Can I get a hell ya?! clap56.gif
olav

Hell ya!

That's basically my philosophy regarding my car. Keeping all correct parts but rejuvinating the car with more modern parts and power where it makes sense.

But, I am also keeping the original pieces such as the original engine and other bits I have pulled so the factory six can be reconstitued (well almost all parts).

The fun factor is important to me. If I bought another factory six I would still put a bigger engine in it as the stock version is not as fun.

QUOTE(VintageExcellence @ Jun 12 2006, 11:55 AM) *

I have a 73 914 six conversion with a 3.2 in it done right with everything modified. I can easily get $15k for the car. It has been nagging me that I have so much knowledge of 914-6 but my car is just a clone.

So I just bought a real 914-6 #200 out of Texas for $9000. Its a core car, needs everything, but a excellent 100% original start that has been sitting for 30years in a garage.

I though about stock resto, but come on guys the 914-6 is a incredible car that was factory underpowered. Porshce killed the market on 914-6 cars by putting the weakest POS 6cyl engine ever made in it. Only 110 hp, terrible. So the power must be upped, the 14" fuchs are not only ugle but you can't get good tires for them. The suspension and brakes are on part with a base 911 of similar years but can definatly use improvement.

I am a long time 914 buff, I have built 3 914-6 conversions and my current conversion is awsome with 250hp and 996 brakes. My belief on the value of a real 914-6 is that the stock will always be admired and valuable, the wild 914-6 custom car will be worth a bit more for a while and then decline, I would consider that a real 914-6 that is done up like say a 914-6S or 914-6RS as if Porsche would have built it but never did.... these cars may actually be worth much much more than bone stock 914-6 cars. I think modified but period correct will bring the much dollars on the future.

I will tell you my reasoning, true the American Muscle cars are shooting way up in value. I just sold a 68 Camaro Z28 numbersmatching perfect car for $86,000 at the last Barrett Jackson (I was hoping for $65k). But a 6cyl Camaro in perfect condition is worth $7 or possibly nothing. A nicely equipped V8 4spd Camaro that is correct can be had for $20k. A big block numbers matching 4spd car can be worth $60-80k but then add $20k if it is a convertible. If you notive the super delux rare cars are woth more than stockers because they are much more fun! Just because you have a nice Camaro even with numbers matching then it doesn't mean it can compete with a Z28 Camaro.

The 914-6 is not a super exciting car in stock form and there are no special editions or different engines, however there are factory supplied kits to build GT cars and modify the good base car the Porsche would never let beat their primary marque the 911. So Porsche supplied the means for individuals to build wild cars and never really hurt the mainstream sales of the 911. Therefore I think you can modify these cars with steel flares and big engines (although to make the most value you would need a high power 1970 motor (probably with MFI) install wild Fuchs alloys (but 15" wheels only), an d basically build a 914-6S.

All of this will make you car worth much more than a stock six beacue now you have a fun car with parts made by Porsche. I hope this is what the case is because I am doing this to my factory six very soon.

Can I get a hell ya?! clap56.gif

Dave_Darling

All of this will make you car worth much more than a stock six beacue now you have a fun car with parts made by Porsche.

But at that point, what really is the difference between a converted Four and an Original Six?

I personally would pay more for a "done up" six conversion with all of the goodies than I would for an original Six with all of those non-stock parts, particularly a conversion based on a 72+ car with the better interior.

--DD
olav
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 12 2006, 12:48 PM) *

All of this will make you car worth much more than a stock six beacue now you have a fun car with parts made by Porsche.

But at that point, what really is the difference between a converted Four and an Original Six?

I personally would pay more for a "done up" six conversion with all of the goodies than I would for an original Six with all of those non-stock parts, particularly a conversion based on a 72+ car with the better interior.

--DD

Can't go back to a factory six if you ever wanted too?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.