Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Filling oil cooler system for the first time...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche735
So, we finally bit the bullet and installed an oil cooler setup in the front of the car. The question I have is, how do you "prime" the system? Do you just over-fill a bit, then start the car and wait for it to reach 180 degrees to open the thermostat? Is there an issue in oil pressure while you are priming that can be dealt with some way? My guess is the additional capacity is around 1 quart...

Chris
john rogers
Well my race car doesn't have a thermostat, but the idea is the same I imagine. We filled the oil tank (dry sump system) a little full, then cranked the engine w/o the coil wire in to get the oil system full and added some oil as necessary. In your case you could heat the thermostat with a heat gun to get it to open, crank the engine and let pressure build up (VERY IMPORTANT) and then hook up the coil wire to start it. The thermostat opens slowly so the oil level will not drop like a rock but it will go down faily fast. Good luck
porsche735
Thanks, good idea about the heat gun. Maybe there is something that can be done with the thermostat externally to get it to open right away? I am still concerned about the time while the engine is spinning around and the system gets the big air bubble (oil cooler circuit) in it. Until that gets burped, you are running with no oiling. If the thermostat does open slowly, then maybe it is not as big a deal as i am thinking...

Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.