Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GGR AX at Alameda
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
DanT
So who is planning on being there?

Lets get a big turnout for this one.... biggrin.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

Nathan, Grant, Trekkor, Demick??? others.

I will be there as will Billd

Bill is one of our 4 AX chairs this year....
Trekkor
I'm BBQ'n for over 100 people that day...the 17th, too. chowtime.gif

KT
nebreitling
can't make it -- still catching up from our trip to russia + zoya is sick.... sad.gif

you'll just have to whup up on all the -6's yourself, dan!!!
grantsfo
If I get my shift linkage bushings installed correctly I think my car will be ok. Havent spent time to figure out how to install them yet.

50/50% chance I will make this one.
Steve_7x
Joy and I will be at the SCCA Autocross at Mather Field which is just 20 minutes away (Alameda is about 2.5 hrs w/trailer).

For those in the Sacramento area this is the only autocross scehduled for Mather Field this year. Mather was the home of many diferent clubs (PCA, SCCA, AAS, SSCC, etc...) for many years and is know being used by the Sac Sherrif.

The site is large (see pic), with surface changes from grippy concrete to not so grippy asphalt. Each of the branches were made for large bombers.

Best of all Saturday is in support of the Shriner's Hospital.

Steve
DanT
Bummer guys sad.gif

Guess it will be up to me and Billd to uphold the 914 banner....

4 bangers on patrol smile.gif
ConeDodger
I will be coming down. I was going to do both days of the shriners event and I am probably crazy to pass on an autocross 10 minutes from my house on the best autocross site I have seen since coming to California but I need to pick up some parts that I bought and Alameda is close enough that the seller will deliver them to the site...

This will actually be the maiden autocross for this car. A year and a half of preparation (thanks Martin), lots of money, and it just might run... I need to know if she is not just another pretty face.

No fair laughing at my temporary borrowed muffler. The Tangerine Header is probably a week or so away.

Besides a chance to eat Trekkors cooking... Who could pass that up?

Rob driving.gif

Demick
I won't make it. Kid duty this weekend.

Demick
DanT
Wow, we are going to be under represented tomorrow. sad.gif

Oh well, we will have to see how my 159K mile motor does under extreme duress.

biggrin.gif blink.gif
DanT
well, the motor held together quite nicely....but the motor mounts did not. After my 3rd afternoon run I noticed a clunking coming from the behind my ears that was something new, not to mention the shifter was now moving as never before as I accelerated....

Both motor mounts are toast....so off to get some new ones along with some new tranny mounts for good measure.

when I left Andrew Blyholder was top dog with a 57.9 and Jeff Reitmeir was 2nd with a 58.6.

I was down the list with a 1:05 which I was planning on improving on but the motor mount situation did not allow me to do....so we will have to see where the standings stack up.

I think the car had a low 1:04 in it if the motor mounts hadn't broken...I was knocking off about 1/2 second per run in the afternoon....

This was a very looooong course and I was carrying a lot of it in 3rd gear....

Good times on this course were sub 1:07 or so it seemed. smile.gif
Trekkor
Are you going to use 911 sport mounts or something else?

Hope nothing else is broken.

KT
DanT
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jun 10 2006, 08:09 PM) *

Are you going to use 911 sport mounts or something else?

Hope nothing else is broken.

KT

That is what I was planning on using....if I can find them.

I don't think anything else if wrong....drove the car home from alameda to South San Jose with no problems other than the motor clunking over every expansion joint and bump. smile.gif
Trekkor
I got my sports from Rich at HPH.
Four of 'em wink.gif

KT
nine14cats
Dan,

I saw another thread recently about WEVO's 914 specific tranny mounts. They looked pretty cool. You may want to check them out.

When I left it looked like Andrew B. was uncatchable. He was sitting at a 55.8, Jeff Reitmeir was 58.6, the SCCA GT2 guy was at a high 58, I was 4th at 59 even and Larry Sharp rounded out the top 5 with a high 59. Jeff and Andrew had one more run to go when I left.

That course was technically challenging for me. I DNF'd 5 of my 7 runs and I couldn't get the last one in because of a flat tire....and the 2nd half of the course was extremely tight for my car. Fritz was lugging the motor in 2nd gear!

Still a fun day. I hope I can have the nail hole in the rear slick patched. Since they are AX only tires, it should work unless it's really ripped on the inside.

Bill P.
DanT
where did you get a nail??? sad.gif

yes, the course looked pretty wide open when we set it up but once I drove it you were pretty busy on the back side.
We probably off set the box a bit too far to the negative side.
David Leong came by at the end of the day and said he couldn't believe he let me dupe him into building a 914 course biggrin.gif (at least that section).

Don't feel bad I locked up all 4 in the same place 3 times out of 5 runs.
My last two runs were done with the broken motor mounts so I am sure my weight transfer was all messed up by then.... sad.gif

I think the guy in the GT2 should have been making a better showing....
$250K car getting beat up by all of those "OLD" Porsches...
As usual the car is only part of the equation...I don't think that his driving prowess was up to what he was running against, with Andrew, Jeff, Yourself, and Larry.

I'll take the expertise in GGR any day biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Good benchmark for a streetable 914 is 6 to 8 seconds added to Andrew B's time. My sense is that those broken mounts slowed you down more than you think.
nine14cats
I picked up a nail on what turned out to be my last run of the day. I changed my lines going through the first part of the course to see if I could pick up any time. This included swinging farther out on the half circle at the end of the course to try and carry more speed into the start of the 2nd half where the boxes were.

What that did for me was carry a high amount of speed into the "marbles" where all of the "shittage" (JP speak) lay waiting for me. Nothing but rocks and nails there. When I got out of the carry we could here the hissing. I decided to pack up at that point.

Yeah...when we set up the course I thought it would be faster on the 2nd half than it was. As soon as I ran the first run I knew my goose was cooked.... biggrin.gif

Bill P.
J P Stein
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jun 11 2006, 11:43 AM) *

What that did for me was carry a high amount of speed into the "marbles" where all of the "shittage" (JP speak) lay waiting for me. Nothing but rocks and nails there. When I got out of the carry we could here the hissing. I decided to pack up at that point.

Bill P.

Yes, shittage kills. laugh.gif

It seems to me that a track set up won't work out that well for AX....fortunately, most
GT2-3 guys are track heros. Having said that, I've seen some damn fast GT3s at AX....some slow ones also.....no GT2s, tho. Must be the CSBOs I run with. biggrin.gif
Chris Hamilton
It was a great event. Sadly we are still being blocked by the PCA from using the nitrous system which will make up for the fact that the car has a very mild 2.0L engine. We just got a set of piston pin buttons for our racing engine which we may be using later this year, which should approximately double our power. I hope to see everyone on the 8th of next month.
DanT
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Jun 12 2006, 08:10 PM) *

It was a great event. Sadly we are still being blocked by the PCA from using the nitrous system which will make up for the fact that the car has a very mild 2.0L engine. We just got a set of piston pin buttons for our racing engine which we may be using later this year, which should approximately double our power. I hope to see everyone on the 8th of next month.

What exactly is blocking you from using Nitrous?

Section 49 says that you can have alternative fuels injected into the engine.

Wouldn't this include nitrous, alcohol, nitro?

sad.gif

that stuff used to be excluded explicitly...doesn't appear to be any longer confused24.gif
nine14cats
Hi Chris,

I'm with Dan, I thought with the new rules you can run whatever you want? Will it point you out into AX1? Actually it doesn't matter because you're still going to dominate no matter what class you're in.....at least until someone here steps up and builds a better mousetrap!...... happy11.gif

What does David Leong say? I'm curious since once we get towards the "unlimited" classes it should be just that...."unlimited".

I still don't believe I helped set up that course and made it so freakin tight on the 2nd half. I wanted to give you guys a better run for your money like the previous event! Instead, you guys spanked my tail dragging rear! laugh.gif

Bill P.
Steve_7x
The GGR/Zone 7 rule in question is about the %age of oxygen in the fuel and it is not an item that can be 'pointed'. The Rule book says maximum of 10%; normal pump gas - if I am not mistaken - is at ~8%. A little bit of NOX would push it over 10%... the hard part is to prove that you are still running under 10% oxygen.

FYI: the SCCA rule book states Oxygen and Nitrogen additives are prohibited except for those originally present in service station pumps.

Steve
DanT
Here are the two sections of the current GGR rules that cover fuel additives.
Playing devils advocate I believe the contradict each other.
Also our old rules specifically stated unless a modification was approved it wasn't approved. IE: you can only make the modifcations we say you can.
Now the rules do not state that....
They only say that if a modification is not specifically given a points value it is free.
As you can see from item (i) from the rules it only talks about non-oxygen bearing additives being limited to 10%.
It doesn't say anything about oxygen bearing additives such as Alcohol, Nitrous, or Nitro.... confused24.gif

what you think?

i: Fuel: Any gasoline fuel is permitted. Additives (non-oxygen bearing) may be used as long as they do not constitute more than 10% of the fuel.

49)

Select this option if the engine has any of the following:

The engine has any type of fluid or gas injection other than gasoline.

The engine has any type of total loss injection device used to cool the engine intake system.

The engine has any type of fuel mixing system used to add alternative fuel to the gasoline.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jun 12 2006, 10:40 PM) *

Here are the two sections of the current GGR rules that cover fuel additives.
Playing devils advocate I believe the contradict each other.
Also our old rules specifically stated unless a modification was approved it wasn't approved. IE: you can only make the modifcations we say you can.
Now the rules do not state that....
They only say that if a modification is not specifically given a points value it is free.
As you can see from item (i) from the rules it only talks about non-oxygen bearing additives being limited to 10%.
It doesn't say anything about oxygen bearing additives such as Alcohol, Nitrous, or Nitro.... confused24.gif

what you think?

i: Fuel: Any gasoline fuel is permitted. Additives (non-oxygen bearing) may be used as long as they do not constitute more than 10% of the fuel.

49)

Select this option if the engine has any of the following:

The engine has any type of fluid or gas injection other than gasoline.

The engine has any type of total loss injection device used to cool the engine intake system.

The engine has any type of fuel mixing system used to add alternative fuel to the gasoline.

I am going to have to disagree with Steve here. I think. I am assuming that Dan is quoting the rules so if he has paraphrased and I am misinterpreting based on that my apologies... I may also be misinterpreting Steve and if I am 1000 pardons my friend...

Section i above seems to deal with additives by volume so in order for nitrous oxide to be illegal it would have to comprise greater than 10% of the fuel load by volume not percent of oxygen.

It seems that nitrous would be allowed if you look at section 49 since it could be pointed as a "...type of fluid or gas injection other than gasoline". And, "The engine has any type of fuel mixing system used to add alternative fuel to the gasoline"

This is potentially a good discussion but perhaps it needs its own thread?

Rob
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Jun 13 2006, 07:22 AM) *

This is potentially a good discussion but perhaps it needs its own thread?

Thats a good idea. Once I get exactly the details on what rule we are being blocked by, I'll recap this information and make a new topic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.