Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Color Of Sound Deadening Pad Clips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
AvalonFal
OK, in my obsession to get every little clip and bracket the "correct" color, what is the consensus for the clips that hold the sound deadening pad in place on the rear firewall ('74 2.0L)? They run across the firewall top and I also have them down the sides. Currently they are body color above the pad and black (satin) where the clip holds the pad.

Also, I assume that none of these clips had the vinyl covering like the electrical wiring clips do. Finally, anybody know if those vinyl coverings are available new or can be made somehow??
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Jun 8 2006, 09:35 AM) *

OK, in my obsession to get every little clip and bracket the "correct" color, what is the consensus for the clips that hold the sound deadening pad in place on the rear firewall ('74 2.0L)? They run across the firewall top and I also have them down the sides. Currently they are body color above the pad and black (satin) where the clip holds the pad.

Also, I assume that none of these clips had the vinyl covering like the electrical wiring clips do. Finally, anybody know if those vinyl coverings are available new or can be made somehow??

drooley.gif
No help w/the sound deadening clips, but I wonder why proper sized heat shrink tubing wondn'y work for the appropriate clips? Cut a length, slip onto the clip & hit it w/a heat gun/hair dryer. Has to look about the same & I'd bet the original parts are NLA.
spunone
Might want to try Plastidip stuff they use to dip tools for the handles or liquid electrical tape several coats What ya think
TJB/914
Hey guys,

I remember something from my restoration regarding those vinyl covers. The ones on my car were a little on the hard side with lots of grunge, etc. I took all I could find from my parts car along with the ones off my car & soaked them overnight in carb cleaner. They cleaned up beautiful and became soft and plyable. Today they still feel soft & plyable and look like new. The material is tough vinyle or PVC. Try one or two & see if it works for you. If I remember correctly all the metal tabs were body color??? Only 98% sure??? Makes sense the factory painted all metal tabs because it's attached to the body.

Tom
914werke
Ive been at this latley, I saved all the wire covers off of a few cars
Ive parted, I just dumped them in a tub of 1to1 solution of Castrol superclean and hot water. Left overnight ...same result clean and plyable once again.
They seem to come in two hues, a dark grey and black.

and not were used on the tabs holding in the backpad.
GWN7
agree.gif

Sound deading: body color on a 74 (just took the pad off the 74 parts car)

Plastic holders: get them off parts cars
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.