Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 0-100mph-0 record set. What could a 914-8 do it in?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=14082

Who wants to have a go at the record?
URY914
0-100mph-0 comparison times
Ultima GTR

Ferrari Enzo

McLaren F1

Porsche Carrera GT

Pagani Zonda

Porsche 911 Ruf R Turbo

Ferrari F40

Lamborghini Murcielago

Dodge Viper SRT-10

Aston Martin DB9

Honda NSX Type-R
boxstr
Where does one go to make an "Official" attempt upon the current record??
CCLIN01000
mike_the_man
I want an Ultima. Group buy anyone???
drew365
I always wanted an Ultima since one went over the side at the Virginia City Hillclimb and disintegrated into a thousand pieces, but the driver walked (crawled) away from it. They're a simple but well engineered car. I'd like one with Porsche running gear of course, and it'll never happen, of course.
Rand
I remember hearing the Cobra doing it in 10.0 years ago.

I wonder what time the Ariel Atom would turn in... idea.gif
drgchapman
A buddy of mine has built one of these. It is awesome! He is however unable to register it for the road here in Oregon. So it makes runs up and down his driveway only to this point. There is some problem with registering kit cars, I'm not sure of the details.

That Ariel Atom is quite the car. I really like it.
propricer
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Jun 8 2006, 08:02 AM) *

A buddy of mine has built one of these. It is awesome! He is however unable to register it for the road here in Oregon. So it makes runs up and down his driveway only to this point. There is some problem with registering kit cars, I'm not sure of the details.

That Ariel Atom is quite the car. I really like it.

Drew ... careful what you wish for.

We have an Ultima GTR that we are just finishing up ... 3.5L twin-turbo pumping close to 600HP through a 930 box, special 930 cvs, etc. Fully race prepared.

For a six figure number starting with a 2, it can be yours ... and yes, we do paypal !
Joe Ricard
Paul I wonder what your 914 would do it in. Power to wieght ratio has got to be in the ball park.

get some really grippy brakes and I bet it would be respectable.

I bet one of the hot rod Shifter Karts would post a good time also.
the average Kart will do 0 - 100 in 6 seconds...
aircooledboy
Hell, I figure, in my V8 I could probably do it, ohhhhhh, I don't know, proly 6.7 seconds in second gear, 5.9 if I run it up thru 5th and back down. burnout.gif

As I tell anybody who asks, "it is a very fast car".

I'm gonna do a little wiring at home later, if anybody wants to help. I'm thinkin' 220, 221, whatever it takes. rocking nana.gif

smoke.gif av-943.gif
nebreitling

well, the average ICC 125 shifter with a very good driver.
andys
Just to be clear, that's 0-100-0.

What is most impressive about that bechmark, is that the 427 Cobra did it with 1960's vintage tire technology. A set of modern tires on that car would surely have produced times that would be very difficult to better even today (remember, it was a street car; well sort one anyway). The Cobra did 14.0 sec. or 14.1 sec, as I recall. A little side note; my former office partner Gordon, who grew up around the whole golden age of racing in SoCal was at that test session which was preformed at Riverside Int'l. Raceway. He described how they punished the car relentlessly until they blew the radiator and had to pack it up. Ken Miles apparently bested with a 13.8 sec. or 13.9 sec. run. Gordon always wondered why that time was never quoted. I sure miss his wonderful (historical) car stories.

Andys
Joe Ricard
That's whay I want a Kart.
Ludachris speed at the mere flex of your right foot.

will trade fast 914 for faster Shifter Kart.
URY914
Don't karts have centrifical clutches? You don't just pop the clutch and go.
Or do SHIFTER karts have a standard clutch and flywheel?
URY914
Does anyone have one of those G-Force data log systems? The kind that plug into the cig lighter and use suck cups to mount to the w/s.

Or here is a racer system...

http://www.advantagemotorsports.com/PDG.htm
andys
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 8 2006, 09:52 AM) *

Yes, shifter karts do have a clutch. If you've never had the opportunity to drive one (125cc, 6 speed), then give it a try. If drive a competitive one, I think you'll be very surprised at how fast they really are. I raced roadracing shifters competitively for better than 20 years.

Andys
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(andys @ Jun 8 2006, 09:34 AM) *

Just to be clear, that's 0-100-0.

What is most impressive about that bechmark, is that the 427 Cobra did it with 1960's vintage tire technology. A set of modern tires on that car would surely have produced times that would be very difficult to better even today (remember, it was a street car; well sort one anyway)...

Good point! It's the tires that make the difference and not the brakes thumb3d.gif
Joe Ricard
Yea shifter is WAY faster than go-Kart.
Shifters have mini Brembo front brakes sequential 6 speed transmissions. clutch is only to jockey around in 1st gear from nuetral to GO!!!!
nebreitling
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 8 2006, 09:52 AM) *

different karts, different setups. most sprint karts in the US have the centrifical clutches. gas and brake, no biggie.

shifter has a sequential gearbox with clutch, but the clutch is not typically used except for in pit lane or standing starts.

ain't no clutch or TAG kart going to do 0-100 in 6" -- a rotax or parilla TAG maybe 10" or 11" with the right gear (still fast as shit). 125 shifters have front brakes -- most other classes don't -- so they can haul down from 100 pretty damn quick too.
Dr. Roger
i still remember the video of the guy who put the GXR 1100 engine in the kart and drifted through every turn.... LOL why not?
URY914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 8 2006, 08:57 AM) *

Does anyone have one of those G-Force data log systems? The kind that plug into the cig lighter and use suck cups to mount to the w/s.

Or here is a racer system...

http://www.advantagemotorsports.com/PDG.htm

You could measure 0-100-0 with one of these. But I don't have a lighter confused24.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jun 8 2006, 08:43 AM) *

well, the average ICC 125 shifter with a very good driver.

.... Dont forget the part about being a light weight driver too! There is a guy that drivers a fast shifter kart at SCCA events and he probably weighs 110 lbs. burnout.gif
jhadler
I still have a copy of the R&T that did the 0-100-0 challenge something like 15-20 years ago. the shelby 427 had to use previous numbers, but they were impressive. The only thing that killed the cars was a Kawasaki ZX-9R. Bike was fully stopped before any of the cars were even on the brakes... The 911 was the best of the newer cars. Tail draggers are perfect for that competition.

Paul, shifter karts are -worlds- different from clutch karts. They're amazing. Hmm, maybe you shouldn't drive one, you might give up on the 'teener... biggrin.gif

Only 3 reasons I haven't gotten one for autox already:

1) No passenger seat. I can't instruct students...
2) Really abusive ride. The most comlpiant part of the chassis is your spine.
3) Gotta wear that full suit in 100 degree heat. Even at an autox...ugh...

I have autoxed a shifter kart a few times, and it was a stellar experience. The cones actually turned blue as I accelerated.... ohmy.gif Waaaaayy fun.

-Josh2
turboman808
Hmmm Might have to rethink the Pantera as my next car idea.gif

That thing is really nice.

Car is 89K but you still need engine and trany.
Eric Taylor
wow - my little 1.7 won't even do 60 in 10 seconds smile.gif!
WRX914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 8 2006, 07:23 AM) *

The Ariel Atom 0-100-0 10.88 sec.

Damn! I thought the Ariel would have the best time....
WRX914
I do have an extremely fast 125 ICC shifter...

Definately the most violent acceleration/deacceleration I have ever been in. Do not know the 0-100-0 times, but the next time we race, I will be happy to attempt a time!
Andyrew
Most violent acceleration I've been in was Chris Julians 520hp v8... you know... the white one...
Crazyhippy
A SBC 914 will run similar times to what the Ultima will w/ the same HP. Weights are similar. Ultima brakes might be marginally better, but that can be fixed.

The difference will be downforce availabe @ speed, and tire size (ultima can fit some meats under it)

BJH
URY914
After some thought on this I don't think a 914 will will come close to the Ultima. The Ultima has a suspension system that is CAD/CAM state of the art (more or less). It is more than just HP/Brakes/Tires. It is getting the HP/Brakes?Tires to work.

Have a look at the details of this car. This is no 30 year old car with a big V-8 in it. Sorry guys, you lose.

Crazyhippy
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 8 2006, 07:06 PM) *

After some thought on this I don't think a 914 will will come close to the Ultima. The Ultima has a suspension system that is CAD/CAM state of the art (more or less). It is more than just HP/Brakes/Tires. It is getting the HP/Brakes?Tires to work.

Have a look at the details of this car. This is no 30 year old car with a big V-8 in it. Sorry guys, you lose.

This is straight line acceleration/ deceleration over smooth surface... who needs suspension.

The best car on earth would be a Top Fuel dragster w/ a HUGE f'n parachute. and some big brakes. and how much suspension tech do they have? They use a solid axle fer criss sake.

BJH
URY914
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jun 8 2006, 06:47 PM) *

This is straight line acceleration/ deceleration over smooth surface... who needs suspension.

The best car on earth would be a Top Fuel dragster w/ a HUGE f'n parachute. and some big brakes. and how much suspension tech do they have? They use a solid axle fer criss sake.

BJH

I though someone would reply like that. You would be right if it was a flying start without a stop at the end. Starting from a stand still and braking to a stop is about weight transfer. A 911's rear engine is perfect for this type of thing. Weight on the rear tires for grip at the start and weight at the rear for more even braking.

A dragster would suck at his sort of test. A parachute is not the best way to stop a car in a hurry. Thier suspension is designed into the frame flex. And BTW they are built to go not to stop. Sorry, you still lose.
wbergtho
I will give it a try with my LS6 500HP 914...but I can honestly say I will not beat the Ultima's performance stats. As far as I remember reading, the Ultima is about 300-500lbs lighter, has better technology in brakes and suspension. My car may be closer to the F-1...but even still, it probably won't beat it's time. If I ran a 0-100-0 in under 12 sec....I'd be quite happy. I have 930 brakes & suspension and a pretty decent power to weight ratio at 2500 lbs...but I've spent about 40K over 8 years to get a 914 to perform like this...It is still well shy of the Ultima.

Bill

PS: I have to give respect when it is deserved...the ultima is quite literally the ultimate car (especially when you factor price in) biggrin.gif
effutuo101
He has gone past ludacris and gone to plaid.
Crazyhippy
Use a bigger parachute... Muahahahahahaha, not big enough, go bigger again, eventually it'll work

I'm not saying this is easy by any means. It's taken a lot of work and Cubic dollars to get as quick as they have. But realistically this is pure HP/weight testing/brake swept area/traction testing, plain and not so simple
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.