Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: not all road trips are created equal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment..has air? the drivers side door slider inexplicably quit just south of eugene oregon on the way down, no big deal. the car was running good all the way down except for the part where i had to start climbing some long grades. normally i could pull them in 5th gear. not this time. down to 4th. just no power. oh boy, 350 miles to think about it. fuel delivery problem?. check jets, all clear, so i suspect the filter. source one in eureka. car seems to be running better. then i start with the hills coming up the coast on 101, damn. no hill power, mileage falls way off. i figure no speed run and i'll live with it.

fast forward to 22 miles south of cottage grove ore. 70ish, and then BLAMMMM!!!, car gets all squirely. pull over, holed one of potenzas. get out all the gear for the pit stop. now, i'm on a straight stretch with a barely perceptible grade. jack car, remove spent tire, get the spare ready to go. did i mention i forgot to set the parking brake in my haste? car slowly rolls backward. splitting the jack receiver, twisting the arm on the jack, the spare is wedged up in the wheelwell, and the jack is sideways, stuck. just great. put bad tire under the bumper and twist the jack to see if i can get it out. out she comes. sort of twist it back into shape, and manage to get the car back up. spare on, set it down. FLAT!! this is bad. stand behind the car, flashers on, for about 45min or so, no one stops, so i stick out the thumb. a nice fellow pulls over and picks me up. next 6 exits, nothing, just exits.

then we get to the one for "Curtain". only one business actually, old gas station no pumps and there happens to flat bed tow truck. it's after hours and i'm supposed to call. did i mention i don't have a cell? i doubt there would be any reception anyway. guy comes out from behind the building and i give him the story. in the truck and we're headed back south. the guy (dan) starts telling me he has a tire he can sell me if i need it. there had been no discussion of prices on the tow or anything, what ever the market would bear i figured. air up the spare and he follows me back to his place. my spare is all age checked/cracked. it might last 1000 miles or 1, so i have him mount up and balance the used 195/60/15 he has on hand. i figure it's going to run 2 bills when the dust has settled.

ready to roll. "how much do i owe you?". "let's see... drive out and back, the tire and mount and ballance". here it comes... "how does $50 sound?", " it's your bonus day dan" and i give him a c-note. "i'm not sure i have change", "i don't want any, and a sure appreciate all you've done for me". uneventful drive home except for the odd handling with the 3 205/50/15 directional tires and 1 195/60 non-direct on the pass rear. what a trip. screwy.gif

k
Ferg
Wow quite a trip.
blink.gif

Ferg
olav
What the hell went through your tire? That's a mighty big hole.
1970 Neun vierzehn
"It's not the destination that's important, it's the trip that matters."

"That which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger"

"Getting there is half the fun"

Enough with the cliches already. Good story. Glad things worked out. Another adventure to add to your life's journey.
rhodyguy
no idea. didn't see anything in the road. bolt or something? the steel belt is puched out from the inside. what you see is the way the wheel came off. got the car over and stopped in time didn't ruin the fuch wheel.

k
dinomium
Kev,
That is quite and adventure, my friend! Glad ya made it home safe. Sounds like we both need a wrench and ready weekend with in the next oh 29 days I'd say!

I should use this as the reason to go buy a light wieght floor jack for the trip to the middle of nowhere!
DNHunt
Yikes Kevin

What a horror story. Glad you made it home OK.

Dave
rhodyguy
or just remember to set the parking brake! imma dope. i'm buying myself new tires for my birthday i guess. bridgestone no longer has the model that matches the other 3.

k
dinomium
still like the new yokes... if you are looking for input... There were really nice for the big drive two weeks ago
dinomium
and I dont have a parking brake (carry bricks!)
Aaron Cox
kevin.. yokohama ES100 smile.gif
dinomium
QUOTE(dinomium @ Jun 8 2006, 12:02 PM) *

and I dont have a parking brake (carry bricks!)

I don't know how I will live with myself but here it goes:
agree.gif
with A!

beer3.gif to wash my mouth out! HA
rhodyguy
i'm going back to 195/60/15. i've had it with the 205/50, esp the pots ( which weren't the best wet tire i came to discover). tiresome after 650 miles, i'd like to get some of the mpg back, not have it screaming at 80-85 (real miles per hour), and actually know how fast i'm going. build them as you will use them. i will prob soften the front t-bars too.

k
dinomium
Makes sence, I went in between with the 205 55 yoke ES100s We will see just how much I love them next month!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.