Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension Cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fiid
What are our favorite ways of cleaning suspension components? Inspired by brads awesome looking powder coated suspension bits, I am going to pull mine off and clean them up and give them a lick of paint.

I am thinking I will attack them with a wire brush drill bit (my usual favorite technique). Are there chemicals that can help?

I don't have a bead or sand blaster - is that something I should get for this kind of work?? Can I get a decent one for cheap? Do I need a compressor for that? Is my bank account ever going to recover??

icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif

Fiid.
vortrex
you'd need a decent sized compressor. I had a 5HP 20 gallon and it blasted good for smaller (suspension type) parts. trailing arms looked great after 30 min. of course then you need the blaster too. a siphon works ok, but pressurized is much better. probably best off with a wire brush and some brake cleaner.
seanery
sand blasting is cheap.
I found a local company that did a bunch of stuff for my dad and I for $31.
Mueller
large plastic garbage can , filled with water and Castrol SuperClean, it'll eat the grime and paint off in a few days if left submerged (not a good idea for your wheelbearings if you didn't plan on replacing them, but blasting not too good for them as well)
SirAndy
get a case of brake cleaner ....
fiid
I take it brake cleaner can be had from Kragen or some other similarly clueless establishment??

(Not a Kragen fan, but it's close and has parking (which is good if you live in the city - unlike MUNI, which is not good))

Fiid.
vortrex
yup, get it anywhere. probably walgreens too. laugh.gif

if you need other body/paint stuff there is a auto body supply store close to you on south van ness, maybe somewhere around 20th st?? they have lots of stuff, including zero-rust.
r_towle
For Sandblasting of small items (suspension parts are small in these terms) Try any local grave stone fabrication shop. they have sandblasters and usually will work cheaply for cash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.