Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear end popping noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
germaneighter
When I take off from a dead stop I am getting a popping noise from the rear. Actually only one distinct pop. If I am really easy on the clutch release it does not happen but if I am any bit aggressive with the clutch or am on a hill the pop is there.

I just installed new Eric Shea control arms w/ elephant bushings and new 914/6 rotors. Every bolt and nut has been triple checked for correct torque.

I am suspecting a CV joint but it was not doing it prior to 5 lug conversion.

Anyone had this?
So.Cal.914
Is it actually a "POP" or more like a knock. Metalic, dead, tinny, right, left, center,

be more specific please.
SLITS
Try your motor mounts.............
jr91472
Amazing, but I hve the exact same issue. Just started about two weeks ago post putting the motor back into the car.

I was thinking clutch or something....but I think I will double check all my motor mounts.

JR
germaneighter
Motor mounts are new. Noise is a dead,quick knock. Kind of like the sound when you use a threaded tie rod puller just as the tie rod pops out of the streering knuckle. Like when you pop your finger knuckle joint only with metal.

bob174
I have had this identical problem. It was expensive to fix. I determined, after going through some troubleshooting that it was coming from the tranny. Teardown revealed that the bearings in the tranny intermediate plate had failed. Specifically, the cage inside the bearing that separated the balls had fractured in numerous places allowing the balls to contact each other. The balls went out of round & would then bind a little as you applied torque to the tranny from a stop. If you babied the clutch you could reduce or eliminate the popping. The cage is made of brass & when I drained the fluid from the tranny it had a golden tint as a result of the suspended brass particles in the tranny fluid. Its typically the upper bearing in the plate because as the tranny fluid level decreases over time, this bearing gets inadequate lubrication that causes it to fail.
bob174
After re-reading my post, it occurred to me that there are probably a number of occasions where you don't want your balls contacting each other, or rubbing together for that matter. Certainly not at the higher RPMS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.