Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help needed! 4 post lift question.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Sold the house yesterday, New one has a 22x26 garage , with a real high ceiling

12 ft or more. Iwant one of those( wording may be wrong) lifts that I can put the 914 on and lift it up and park my Civic under it. I have seen pictures of guys in the club that have these. What are they called, manufacture. What is your experence with one. Also how much head clearence is needed to use it. Dave slap.gif
Brad Roberts
Hi Dave!

Mike Ginter is the one you want to talk with. He has had one for several years now.

Maybe he will see this thread and help you out. I see them advertised in Hot Rod all the time. I would want one on casters so I could move it around.

B
Mueller
congrats...you might get more responses by re-posting this by asking about 4-post lifts.....
914-8
12 feet is high enough for a 914 and a civic.

I did a lot of research on these. I found the best quality at a still reasonable price was Bend Pak. They have a website. I was ready to get it, but came up a bit short on ceiling height.
bondo
I prefer 2 post lifts, but I don't know if there's any drawback for the purposes of storing another car under it. 2 post definitely gives better access if you plan to do any work on the car with it.
jhadler
I'd think the only draw back would be getting oil on the roof and hood of the Honda... biggrin.gif

-Josh2
Gint
I edited your title for you Dave.

Two post vs. 4 post lifts are an endless argument. It depends on what you want to use it for. The two post is better for most car work, especially engine drops for a 914. But if you want storage for multiple cars, then 4 posts are better. 4 posts can also be used without permanently bolting them to a garage floor and can also be equipped with wheels so you can move them at will. It all depends on what your actual needs are. Think about it long enough and you'll see what I mean. I thought about it for several years before I bought mine.

I love my 4 post. I only have 9.5 ft. ceiling height. I can only park 2 914s one on top of the other because of the very low height of the cars. With 12' ceiling height, you should easily be able to park a Civic and a 914 using a 4 post lift. But as with all things, decide on a particular lift, find out the maximum height of the ramps when on the top most lock, and then measure your 914 and Civic heights to be certain. Should work though.

Here's a pic from last month.

IPB Image

Do a google search for "automotive lift" you'll get tons of info.
Porsche Rescue
Mike has it right. A 2-post must usually be attached to the floor and they are cumbersome for storage as the suspension is hanging free to take up space and get in your way. I have R&R'd both 4 and 6 cyl. engines and trannys using mine. Even for brake/suspension work I am able to use a small floor jack on the ramp to jack the car and remove wheels. I can work on brakes at a comfortable height. Most lifts come with drip pans (mine has 3) which can be placed to keep leaking fluids off the car below. I have 9.5 feet and can get one short (Porsche) and one normal height car stacked. If you have a garage door opener, it must often be raised and/or you back the car on as shown in the next post. I love mine, made in Kansas by Autolifters. Unfortunately they are out of business because they couldn't compete with lifts made in China.
Porsche Rescue
A couple of pics
mack914
Hi Dave,
Mack here in toledo, Backyard buddy is the way to go on a 4 post lift, best deal, and you can pick it up and save on shipping. they are out of warren, Ohio. www.backyardbuddy.com, 330 395-9372.
Good luck flag.gif
draperjojo
Also check out www.aclift.com
Ferg
I bought mine used, so I didn't shop and compare, but I agree with all that is said above. I have 10.5 ceilings and can stack the porsche and the mustang. My four post is different and older than most, and still requires it to be bolted to the concrete.
I also had my garage door rails raised which in turn I lost the power door.

Some Pics.
Ferg
Pic two
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.