Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BRAS...for 914's, that is
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
Just received a new Colgan bra for 914's. What a POS!!!! stromberg.gif This is the 'lame-o" design that stretches straight across the turn signal lenses. The fit was terrible and I could see that big piece of vinyl flapping in the breeze and beating the crap out of the hood paint. I'd rather have the old/better design that had a hood pocket and conformed to the hood and fenders. Does anybody make the latter style anymore? I was told the 'straight across, non-conforming version' is the only type available now. Are they full of it?
VaccaRabite
I would not use one unless you really have no alternative. They usually cause more damage to you paint from dirt and such getting trapped under it then they ever save.

Also, don't you have to get out and fiddle with it to open the headlights or gas up the car?

Zach
Ferg
How about a clearbra? I had one installed on my six and would do it again without question.

Here's a pic I took (after three tries, at different angles to get the edge of the tape line to show up)

Ferg
Jerry
So, where do you get a clear bra???? How much???? Does it come on and off or what???
Gustl
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 9 2006, 05:08 AM) *

How about a clearbra? I had one installed on my six and would do it again without question.

this was my thought for a long time
if ever I'll have a /6 I want exactly this
I know that 3M has a clear foil for exactly this purpose, to save the car from little stones and such crap
about a year ago I saw a little presentation on german TV where they prepared an Audi A4 with this 3M foil - then they took a screwdriver and scratched this area, and after a minute there was nothing visible

especially in my area where the streets are full of roadmetal / gravel from the winter this would be a good thing, I think
I thought about covering the (crome) bumper, front valance and - like on Ferg's picture - a part of the hood

wavey.gif Gustl
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 8 2006, 11:08 PM) *

Here's a pic I took (after three tries, at different angles to get the edge of the tape line to show up)

Ferg

I seen this stuff on a Passat and loved it ! Except for a fine line you'd never know it's there. I want it when I repaint.

Details please!!!!!
914rrr
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 9 2006, 04:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 8 2006, 11:08 PM) *

Ferg

I seen this stuff on a Passat and loved it ! Except for a fine line you'd never know it's there. I want it when I repaint.

Details please!!!!!

Me too!!!! While we're on the subject, anybody seen/used the 'mag-bra' material?
URY914
There are a few bras in the "Hot Chicks" thread in the Sandbox.... happy11.gif
Mark Henry
http://www.clearbra.net/home2.html

I dont see a dealer anywhere near me mad.gif

Ferg how much did it cost?
Ferg
sorry guys went to bed and missed the questions...

cost: for me it was about 220, but it vary's with the place, I paid more and went to place that was not a stranger to porsche's.

they are very popular out here, and I would guess almost half of the new cars sold in boulder have them installed by the dealer. I know they are not poplular in all area's of the country but if you ask around I bet you can find a shop local that does them. usually it's a detail or dent shop that will offer the service. I think clearbra may also be a trademark name so It may not be called that everywhere.

it's semi permenant meaning, once it's on it's on. I was told that it could be removed without harming any paint, but then you would have to pay for reapplication. I think they give it a 7 year life before it starts to yellow from sun ect. on our cars that are mostly garaged and not in the sun all day every day maybe longer.

I'm sure you could cover chrome bumpers ect, but I know there are limits to the angles and curves they can cover, not really a problem on our flat hood cars, but they can't go around 90degree corners ect with the stuff. And price varies with difficulty of application. A Boxster will run you 6-700 out here due to the curves ect. It's put on wet and then air is squigied out from underneath and then trimmed with a razor.

Ferg biggrin.gif
DonTraver
I have it on my 6, it works great. I got it when it came out, so it was still expensive, +500 for the complete front end, including front valance. I'm no longer touching up paint every week.

The old type bra's were much better, that cogan pos is just that, a pos. I have a bra for my RSA, the only time I use it is on the track and on long trips for the bugs. Never leave it on, especially if it rains, it turns the dust and stuff into a really rough compound on your paint.

Don
Elliot_Cannon
I have a large air dam on my car. Would this stuff work? I was also considering helicopter tape.
Elliot
Brad Roberts
This stuff orginate from "helicopter tape" the military uses it on the leading edges of rotor blades. We have been using it on race cars since 1997 or so (long before the pre-cut kits were available)

You can buy it in sheets and apply/cut it to length.

I know the local SD ClearBra distributor very well. I could actually put together some pre cut kits for a decent price if anyone is interested. This is THE hot ticket with the new car crowd. The street rod crowd is just figuring it out.

Let me know.

B
914rrr
How is the the clear bra material different from, say, obscuring vinyl I just put on my bathroom window? Almost sounds like the same type material, and installation sounds identical. idea.gif

Call me a typical 914 CASOB, but a couple hundred bucks for a clear bra install sounds kinda spendy.

I'd still like a source for a new 'old school' conforming black vinyl bra.

Anybody have any info on the mag bra material?
Gustl
QUOTE(914rrr @ Jun 13 2006, 04:27 PM) *

Call me a typical 914 CASOB, ...

I might do so, but I've no idea about the meaning of CASOB confused24.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 13 2006, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(914rrr @ Jun 13 2006, 04:27 PM) *

Call me a typical 914 CASOB, ...

I might do so, but I've no idea about the meaning of CASOB confused24.gif

wavey.gif Gustl

cheap ass son of a bitch
Flat VW
QUOTE(DonTraver @ Jun 9 2006, 07:28 AM) *

I have it on my 6, it works great. .

Don

I have seen Don's car and it pretty darn 'low-key' fur shure. wavey.gif

My experience with teeners is that they also take a number of stone chips at the very top of the front fenders a few inches behind the turn signal lenses, a highly visable spot.

Most of the bras I have seen do cover these spots whereas the 'clear bra' does not on the few installations I have viewed.

John

P.S. I have also noticed that the FG hood I had on the 'near death car' was really resilient to stone chips, much more so that the steel-painted componets around it.

That is to say that the headlight covers and eyebrows were much more nicked than the FG hood.

I think the stones tended to bounce better off the fiberglass without causing a VISIBLE laceration in the finish.

P.P.S. FG headlight covers and FG eyebrows might make a developable product for someone to fabricate for their 'stone worthiness' alone, aside the benefit of the lightening of the part. idea.gif

P.P.P.S. Has anyone ever noticed what some truckers apply to the high wear areas on their paint finished rigs?

Upholstery, easily changed. screwy.gif
Brad Roberts
OK. Anyone interested in this?

I'm scheduled to take a 914 to the ClearBra place and have templates made for the 914's. With and without side markers. It will cover the nose and tops of the fenders back to the leading edge of the front fenders.

We can do the bumpers also.

FYI:

We have had this stuff on a race car since 99 (never replaced it or repainted the car) It rocks.

B
carreraguy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 13 2006, 11:02 AM) *

OK. Anyone interested in this?

I'm interested!
porschenut
Griot's garage just had something in their new catalog. A paint on bra that is removable.
Rand
In the first couple of posts, I was thinking... Bra? (imagining the old-school leather diaper treatment) and found myself agreeing with Zach.

But the helicopter tape / invisible bra treatment is different. Very cool and practical. A few new car manufacturers are making this standard... I think the last Car and Driver mentioned this from Nissan. A scratch just morphs back to flat in the sun, like the next Terminator.
Brad Roberts
Tom,

I plan to have 5 kits made at first. I learned my lesson about dumping 10k into 914 products and sitting on them for years biggrin.gif

With or without side markers?

Need to get and idea of what people want?

B
lapuwali
Related note, some new car owner on another list was contemplating one of these, and heard from a friend that he should wait 90 days to let the paint "breathe" first. All I could think was: does this idiot think the car's emerge fresh from the paint booth into their dealership? Does he not realize they usually sit in various yards for weeks or months between the factory and the time they're sold?

Apparently not.

Not to mention every new car I've seen for years come straight off the truck from the factory had stick-on plastic to protect the paint from damage during transit.

Totally unrelated to the 914, but amusing nonetheless...
anthony
There are various manufactures of what is generically knows as "paint protection film". Some are more optically clear than others meaning that you can hardly see them. The less clear ones tend to show up as orange peel. I'd shop around. If you go to car shows you can often find a vendor selling this kind of stuff. I saw a side by side demo of 3M stuff versus Llumar brand film and the Llumar was way better.

The cheap SOBs can probably buy bulk film and then do their hood and lights themselves on a 914 since they are just flat surfaces. The curves around the turn signal lights would probably take some skilled labor to get perfect.

Google "paint protection film" and you'll find tons of info on this stuff.

Mark Henry
I'm interested... but not till next winter/spring when I repaint.
1970 Neun vierzehn
We have a few(very few) customers at our Honda dealership who request this "protective film", aka "clear bra", "clear mask", "leading edge" to be applied to their car or truck. I've seen the application for full coverage on an Odyssey take upwards of three hours. The vinyl film is (I'm told), computer cut to conform to the individual vehicle's contours. When these applications are finished, the only clue to the presence of this film is the trailing edge of the film across the hood and/or front fenders. It remains to be seen what this film will look like in the long term and what affect it may have on the paint to which it is applied.
bob91403
QUOTE(914rrr @ Jun 8 2006, 07:00 PM) *

Just received a new Colgan bra for 914's. What a POS!!!! stromberg.gif This is the 'lame-o" design that stretches straight across the turn signal lenses. The fit was terrible and I could see that big piece of vinyl flapping in the breeze and beating the crap out of the hood paint. I'd rather have the old/better design that had a hood pocket and conformed to the hood and fenders. Does anybody make the latter style anymore? I was told the 'straight across, non-conforming version' is the only type available now. Are they full of it?
You're right, the Colgan POS is not worth it. A little while ago I tried to market a magnetic bra here. I got too little interest and gave up on the idea. Do a search for "Magnetic Bra" in the title, older postings for a look. If you want to make it yourself you can make two, for about $50. I recently gave instructions to another member. PM me and I'll send you a copy.
carreraguy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 13 2006, 03:30 PM) *

With or without side markers?

B

Thanks Brad - with side markers - guess I'm still somewhat of a traditionalist.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.